Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,092 Posts
I was reading about an account of colonists first making landfall in the "New World" and the first order of business was setting up to brew beer. :beercheer:

Then there was an article about our Founding Fathers and how they seldom would drink water due to the chance of getting sick, so they mostly drank spirits during the day. Makes me wonder if they were often buzzed during the organizing and formation of our Republic. :D

I live close to the moonshining capital of the US - Franklin County, Va. If the maker takes pride in their product, some really good 'shine can come out of those woods. OTOH, if quick profit is the motive you could be drinking pure death.

To the north of me is Nelson County. Its famous for its apple and peach brandy due to the number of large orchards that flourish there. Story was that at Christmas time, the Superintendent of the State Police would have a trooper stop by the little store up there. While he was inside having a Coke, someone would place a gallon of apple brandy in the trooper's car, which was meant for the Superintendent.

Many of these notorious whiskey and brandy making areas have switched to a new product - marijuana. Its easier to produce, transport, and market.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Depending on the area of the country you are in, growing tobacco should be relatively easy. After all, native Americans were quite successful at it. It was my grandfather's "money crop".

He raised flu tobacco that was cured over several months in a furnace-fired tobacco barn. I have watched as he took a tobacco leaf, removed the stem, and rolled his own cigar. Came out perfect.

I'm sure, should economic conditions bottom out, that some enterprising individuals will make it their business growing, curing, and processing tobacco products. Same with alcohol. Home distilleries would begin popping up like weeds as would hemp, (marijuana) patches.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
Keep in mind that including barter items in you inventory is only to get you started. Having those items will buy you a little time on the front end, but you really need to know how to make, produce, manufacture products that people will need and want. Whether its furniture or hooch, you should plan now for some niche that will help carry you for the long haul.

· Registered
1,092 Posts
"I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here , but I was a deputy shreiff in a dry county and I have personally arrested people on car stops for "Transporting alcohol for the purpose of resale " and we got convictions on less evidence than some have provided on this thread alone !"

Considering you worked in Kentucky where state troopers currently stop out of state vehicles west-bound on I 40 and shaking the occupants down for their cash, calling it "drug money", having got any convictions on less evidence doesn't surprise me any.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.