Preparedsociety.com banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Pawpaw, I will be receiving tobacco seeds in the mail soon! I have agreed to be the go between for sending them out to other forum members that are interested. If you want to receive some tobacco seeds please send me a PM with your information.

Please send your PM by March 10th. That way I can have everything ready and divide the seeds up evenly when I have a final count of people that want them.

I will update this thread when they are in the mail.:flower:

Reactions: PamsPride

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Do you know what kind of tobacco seeds you are going to get ... cigarette, cigar, pipe or chewing?

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe Pawpaw said they are cigarette tobacco seeds. He thought the type was Burley.

This is what was posted in a different thread. I copied and pasted it here:

Hey, MdPrepper:
I don't remember exactly but it was a Burley. What I got for $6.99 online was about a half of a sewing thimble of these almost microscopic seeds; I felt ripped off.
I shouldn't have- turns out there were something over 500 seeds. Now I've got way over 500,000 - 1,000,000 (two film canisters).
It's hard to explain how they taste. Just pure tobacco, and nothing else. I don't know what they put in a commercial cigarette these days, but it's so far removed from pure tobacco that it may p*ss you off at first, as it did me. About three puffs, and I've got my fix. Not that it's harsh-it's just that the tobacco is ALL you taste. Deeply statisfying. I guess 3 puffs is all you really need to get real nicotine.
If you care to, reply in private & I'll gladly send you about 5,000. Not that you can count them- I'll just fish out about a level teaspoon. Then, if you choose, you can dole them out as you see fit to others. In fact, if you want to go through the enormous task of supplying others on this site, I'll send more. I cannot involve myself in self-addressed stamped envelopes, etc. The Dragon Lady won't have it... PawPaw

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey ANDI,
I'm pretty sure that how you process it determines wether it's for pipes, chew, etc. I know different types have different characteristics which may be desirable for a certain use, but we'll have to go educate ourselves online at the hundreds of tobacco forums, I quess.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Yes, burley is mostly a cigarette tobacco ...

pawpaw ~ Yes and no ... :D ... While some folks will take a cigarette tobacco and make it a chew, there are different kinds of tobacco for different uses.

Also different tobacco have different "cure" needs. Burley is a tobacco that is stalk cut, using a knife while others are primed when ready ~ 3 ta 4 leaves at a time.

On a side note it is kind of you both to share. :congrat:

·
Registered
387 Posts
ANDI,
I noticed you're from BIG-time tobacco country. I myself have cut & hung tobacco as a 'yute' in Marion, Va. I'ts grueling work, and they used to let the kids out of school for two weeks during harvest to help get in the crop.
I imagine that in this age, the kids have no part in this process because you can't text while working it. It takes both hands. :2thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Finding people to work in the tobacco fields was never easy, like you said it is grueling and rather dirty work. Most of the small farms are gone and the larger farms now use a tobacco harvester. (or bring a crew out the south. :rolleyes:)

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bump:

I have heard from a few folks, but wanted to bring this up again in case anyone missed it the first time around.

·
503 Posts
I'm from and live in missouri. I have heard that tobbaco will not grow this far north. Is that true I have never tried to grow my own.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I believe it will grow anywhere in the right soil. Just make sure you get it started early enough. I've never had any luck with starting tomatoes from seed, but this stuff goes hog-wild.
They say that if you can grow tomatoes, you'll do fine with tobacco....

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've grown tobacco here in Mi and it got over my head tall.. but what I grew was for the flowers and I don't think it was one of the smoking types. I would have to say that they might not grow as big as down south but you could always grow more plants..

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:threadbump:

Just a reminder, I will be sending seeds out on Saturday.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup. Send me a PM (private message) with your mailing details. I will be sending them out this Saturday.

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Sorry for the delay folks, I had a personal issue last week. The seeds are in the mail. I will give you this piece of advice from a PM PawPaw sent me:

DO NOT open these at your mailbox or any other place breezy, or they'll be gone. They're the smallest things I've ever seen. Smaller than a lice egg, I think.

There were 10 of ya'll that sent me PM's, so everyone ended up with 1/8 of a teaspoon each. It doesn't sound like much, but they are really tiny so it should get you started. I included a photocopy of the instructions PawPaw sent me.
:flower:

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
Yee haw! I'll plant some at the house, some in the hood, some out in WV down by the river...

·
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have heard from one person. Has anyone else received their seeds?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts