To the person in Jax that cant do without a fan

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Centraltn, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

You said you couldnt sleep without a fan if the power went out.. I think I have the answer. I have a battery operated fan.. takes 2 D cells. I think I bought it at a truck stop. The brand name is "RoadPro". We lost our power this afternoon and its 91 degrees here in middle tennessee, so I broke out the fan. It worked beautifully. I ran it for 2 straight hrs and it never even slowed down. Might wanna try it. Bet you could get it at any truckstop or online! Good Luck!

2. Davo45

Davo45 New here

That's a great idea. I've had a DC fan that plugged into the cigarette lighter (back in the days before they put 12 volt power supplies. I'll have to swing by a truck stop and see if they have one that runs on D cell batteries.

Thanks for the tip!

3. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I have two fans by "O2 COOL" bought at Wally's.
    Smaller is a six volt unit I keep on my PC to cool me while 'surfing'. Holds four D-cells, and I get a week's use from one set. I am now using rechargeables, so battery life and long-term cost are better. It has a wall plug unit too.
    Next to my bed is the bigger 12V fan, plugged in to the wall, but carries eight D-cells.
    Using these means less AC useage and lower power bill. They work well for camping too.

4. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Ummm.... not really, unless you are getting betteries for free.

For anyone else, I think a 12 volt fan run off a car battery is the most practical. It can be charged during the day with a solar panel.

5. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Well I forgot about my 18v Ryobi 12 inch fan. It runs off 18v rechargable batteries. It'll run about 5 hrs on one charge. I only have it and a couple of other Ryobi tools left, as I have upgraded. So that has left me with 6 batteries that would give me about 25-30 hrs of fan time. BTW, it does a good good. It and 2 batteries would give you some overnite use.

Just fyi.

Jimmy

6. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I asked my brother for a solar battery chanrger for christmas and he found one, so after the initial hit of the rechargable batteries.. the cost is nothing to run it

7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

Major disconnect in thought there. Four hours to charge four D-cells repeated for many hundreds of cycles = a week's worth of 'whole house' AC useage.....?
    I don't think so. :scratch
    Once the third charge cycle is done, the batteries ARE basically 'free', compared to buying new alkalines.

Once I add a solar charger soon, then the long term cost is even lower.

8. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Thanks Central,this is a good idea.I never realized how important a fan was until thoe 5 hurricanes came through one after another.never hit us but the storms of of them sure did.

Add to the heat the HUMIDITY!And you are miserable.:eek:

I wrote this info down.

9. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

All of you really helped with the info you gave me.

I really need to try and get a solar panel soon as we can afford one.If nothing else just to charge rechargable batteries.

Since diesel has went up and we don't travel much anymore We may sell our school bus conversion to buy more important things.We had lots of fun in it,plus it was a conversational onject.All the campgrounds said it was .:cool:.

A whole lot safer than sticks and staples and no getting blowed around by trucks like our campers did.Its a shorty so easy to drive and park.I just talked myself out of selling it:confused:.LOL.