Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only $200 to find the love of your life!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/d...ered-by-toronto-s-instant-chemistry-1.3016652

DNA-based matchmaking offered by Toronto's Instant Chemistry

Can DNA testing help you find love? Controversial genetic tests that claim to help match singles based on their DNA are being offered by a Toronto company.

Sara Seabrooke, co-founder and chief science officer of Instant Chemistry, says the company's genetic and psychological testing service can help "narrow down the field" of potential dates and help you find a good match.

"Right now, matchmaking is basically based on an art," she told CBC's The Current Tuesday. "And there's the science available that we can use, and why not provide it and let people have the opportunity to use it if they want to?"

For $199 US, Instant Chemistry offers two genetic tests based on a saliva sample, along with a psychological test. It then compares your results to others in its database to find potential matches it considers genetically compatible.

Seabrooke said one genetic test is linked to how strongly people respond to emotions, and a 13-year study of married couples suggested it could predict marital satisfaction.

"If you have two people who come together who are both responding very strongly to emotional situations in their life, it can lead to volatility," she added.

The other genetic test is based on a study in the 1990s that had women rank the attractiveness of men by smelling T-shirts they had worn for several days. The "sweaty T-shirt" study found that women were more attracted to men who had more different immune system genes - matches that might generate children with healthier, more diverse immune systems.

"The research is definitely there," Seabrooke said.

But not everyone is convinced.

One problem is that the "sweaty T-shirt experiment" has been controversial.

Daniel Davis, a professor of immunology at the University of Manchester and author of The Compatibility Gene, said some scientists have criticized the methodology. Women were asked to read a particular book before smelling the T-shirts, and there were questions about whether a different book may have generated different results.

There is also some debate about how reproducible the study was.

Seabrooke said the results have been replicated by different labs around the world.

But Arthur Schafer, director of the Centre for Professional and Applied Ethics at the University of Manitoba, said some researchers have been unable to replicate the results.

"It's not really science," he said. "The evidence is pointing in all different directions."

Evidence hard to interpret

Even if the results are valid, they're hard to interpret, Davis said.

For example, someone might prefer certain body scents, but it's not clear whether that affects their actual behaviour.

Mice certainly prefer to mate with other mice with different immune system genes, but they identify those mice by smelling their urine.

"And that's clearly a skill lost in us," Davis said.

He also suggested that narrowing the field down to those with different immune system genes might not narrow the field much at all.

He and his wife got their immune system genes tested and compared with 18 million others. It turned out only four people had the same set of genes as Davis, and only a few hundred had those of his wife.

Davis doesn't think Instant Chemistry's service does any harm, but he suggests that "people should immerse themselves a little bit in the science behind that" before deciding whether to sign up for the service.

Schafer suggests people should just save their money and focus on other characteristics they might look for in a mate, such as their looks and sense of humour.

"Of all the things that are important, I would think that this [immune system compatibility] would rank way down," he said.

He added that people can always screen their dates for an attractive scent the old-fashioned way.

"Instead of spending $199, try kissing and snuggling for a bit."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/friends-share-similar-dna-study-finds-1.2707457

Friends share similar DNA, study finds

The truism that friends are the family you choose may be more accurate than you might suppose.

A study published on Monday found that people are apt to pick friends who are genetically similar to themselves - so much so that friends tend to be as alike at the genetic level as a person's fourth cousin.

The findings were based on an examination of about 1.5 million markers of genetic variations in a group of nearly 2,000 people who had taken part in a long-running health study based in Massachusetts. The researchers compared people identified as friends to those who were not.

The study showed people were most similar to their friends in olfactory genes, which involve the sense of smell, and were least similar in relation to immune system genes.

Immune genes least similar

"Olfactory genes have a straightforward explanation: People who like the same smells tend to be drawn to similar environments, where they meet others with the same tendencies," said one of the researchers, James Fowler, a professor of medical genetics and political science at the University of California, San Diego.

The study, published in the scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, follows research released in May that found that people tended to choose spouses who have similar DNA.

Fowler said the new findings made it clear that people have more DNA in common with those who are selected as friends than with strangers in the same population. Fourth cousins are people who have great-great-great grandparents in common.

Probably not due to common ancestry

Because the study population was largely homogeneous, mostly whites of European background, the findings "are less likely to be driven by the simple explanation that people of similar ancestry befriend one another," Fowler said. The researchers also controlled for ancestry in their analysis.

Fellow researcher Nicholas Christakis, a Yale University professor of sociology, evolutionary biology and medicine, said the mechanism used by people to choose friends with similar genetics remained a mystery.

"It could involve the workings of a postulated 'kin detection system' in humans," Christakis said. "Our fates depend not only on our own genes, but also on the genes of others around us, and in particular our friends."

Christakis said he was interested in finding out why people have friends in the first place.

"The making of friends is exceedingly rare in the animal kingdom," Christakis added. "Certain other primates, elephants and whales are the only other mammals who do this, and this alone aroused our curiosity."
Read the data-sheets (very technical): http://www.pnas.org/content/111/Supplement_3/10796

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I would say that there is some validity to this. I would love to get my next potential mate tested for immune response and the strength of his swimmers in particular before making a baby together. I have done quite a bit of research on preeclampsia over the years and the research suggests that the man plays a big role in the reaction of the woman when it comes to preeclampsia. After two pregnancies of severe preeclampsia I would love to have some genetic testing done on me and a potential mate...before putting my life at risk again.

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
I would say that there is some validity to this. I would love to get my next potential mate tested for immune response and the strength of his swimmers in particular before making a baby together. I have done quite a bit of research on preeclampsia over the years and the research suggests that the man plays a big role in the reaction of the woman when it comes to preeclampsia. After two pregnancies of severe preeclampsia I would love to have some genetic testing done on me and a potential mate...before putting my life at risk again.
Also a blood test to test for Hypothyroidism. We just found out K has Hypothyroidism too and that is why his swimmer count is next to nothing. The thyroid helps control testosterone and that plays a role in the health and numbers of swimmers.

If a man is going to have his reproductive health checked he should have the morphology of his swimmers checked as well as numbers and mobility. If there is a high number and they are fast but they have mutated DNA you don't want that!

·
Registered
308 Posts
There was something about the direction that this thread took that caused me concern. After doing a bit of research, I discovered the following:
(SOURCE: http://history1900s.about.com/od/auschwitz/a/mengeletwins.htm )
The notorious doctor of Auschwitz, Josef Mengele, has become an enigma of the twentieth century.
But in May 1943, Mengele entered Auschwitz as an educated, experienced, medical researcher. With funding for his experiments, he worked alongside some of the top medical researchers of the time. Anxious to make a name for himself, Mengele searched for the secrets of heredity. The Nazi ideal of the future would benefit from the help of genetics: if Aryan women could assuredly give birth to twins who were sure to be blond and blue eyed - then the future could be saved.

The American eugenics movement was rooted in the biological determinist ideas of Sir Francis Galton, which originated in the 1880s. Galton studied the upper classes of Britain, and arrived at the conclusion that their social positions were due to a superior genetic makeup. Early proponents of eugenics believed that, through selective breeding, the human species should direct its own evolution.

Eugenics was also supported by African Americans intellectuals such as W. E. B. Du Bois, Thomas Wyatt Turner, and many academics at Tuskegee University, Howard University, and Hampton University.

The American eugenics movement received extensive funding from various corporate foundations including the Carnegie Institution, Rockefeller Foundation, and the Harriman railroad fortune. In 1906 J.H. Kellogg provided funding to help found the Race Betterment Foundation in Battle Creek, Michigan

Ist das nicht ein Superman? Ya, das ist ein Superman!:eek:vract:

·
8,927 Posts
I find it funny that when a man's ability to father or inability to father a genetic child comes in to question everyone thinks the women involved are nutty. :mad:

Let me clarify about sperm morphology.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-.../expert-answers/sperm-morphology/faq-20057760

Sperm morphology - the size and shape of sperm - is one of the things checked in a semen analysis for male infertility. Sperm morphology results are reported as the percentage of sperm that appear normal when semen is viewed under a microscope.

Normal sperm have an oval head with a long tail. Abnormal sperm have head or tail defects - such as a large or misshapen head or a crooked or double tail. These defects may affect the ability of the sperm to reach and penetrate an egg.

However, having a large percentage of misshapen sperm isn't uncommon; in fact, if your sperm sample contains only 4 percent "morphologically normal forms," it's considered normal.

Morphology is just one piece of a fertility analysis and, by itself, does not determine fertility. Other important factors checked in a sperm analysis are:

Semen volume
Total sperm number
Sperm concentration
Vitality of sperm
Motility of sperm

·
Registered
308 Posts
Interesting on how the reaction is reactive/aggressive. The whole thread bothered me because I DO understand history and the ramifications of what has gone before.

By the way Grimm, I believe that most men generally would fall into the third illustration in your chart... not necessarily their SPERM, but men in general... 'cause that's how we roll.:ignore:

·
8,927 Posts
I wasn't trying to be agressive. This is a topic (infertility) that is very close to home for our family. (Took my parents 8 years to have me and took K and I 5 to have Roo. We are about ready to give up on having anymore.)

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
As a rancher, I see not paying attention to genetics foolhardy, the panic stricken response to making informed decisions puzzles me, Many people who have known genetic issues, choose adoption instead of child birth and gambling that the "bad" genes won't show up. going :lalala: when someone suggests a little research might be in order might be a little :nuts:

·
8,927 Posts
As a rancher, I see not paying attention to genetics foolhardy, the panic stricken response to making informed decisions puzzles me, Many people who have known genetic issues, choose adoption instead of child birth and gambling that the "bad" genes won't show up. going :lalala: when someone suggests a little research might be in order might be a little :nuts:
K was adopted. The choices his adoptive parents made in regards to his knowledge of the adoption (or what they told him verses the facts we are now finding out) set him in the mindset he had no desire to find out anything about his genetic family. Now we as a family are paying for this lack of responsibility as genetic disorders are coming to light.

Had his adoptive parents just given him the truth when he was able to deal with it verses lying to him as a child (telling him his birth mom was crazy and Satan was telling her to kill him) maybe we would have made the choice not to have Roo and risk her having such an increased risk of the disorders we both share.

Family history is very important from a genetics stand point when having children. More people need to start thinking about this before sleeping with that slimeball from the bar...

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Genetics have an impact on our lives but they are seldom definitive regarding human behavior. While a genetic predisposition might make a slight difference in making a good marital choice it's most important use may be in deciding who to reject. A successful marriage is going to take a lot of work, commitment, maturity, and forgiveness no matter what a genetic test might predict.

I see this as mostly applying to the type of people who would rather take a pill to lose weight rather than just exercise more and eat correctly.

A successful marriage is going to take a lot of work. There is no magic pill or genetic test for marital happiness. JMO and it's worth every penny you paid for it.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
No thanks. This is just another scientific way of trying to fix nature. Nature which is being destroyed by social apathy and rampant sexuality. I found my wife, fell in love, we mated, had children and all is well. No need for laboratory DNA testing or scientific intervention. Genetic compatibility that produces healthy children outside of a loving committed relationship creates a mental/emotional "defect" that will be very difficult to overcome.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Plus let's also consider where this could all lead. At what point does the government or medical/insurance companies get to decide who gets to have kids and with whom based on genetic concerns? I can think of several doom & gloom scenarios where genetic mating could be the end of the world as we know it. Now I have to go write an email to the SciFi channel. I could have a new series up and running within the week!

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
More people need to start thinking about this before sleeping with that slimeball from the bar...
Please...

Yes, you do have too much faith in society!

Same goes for genetic manipulation. We think we understand genetics, but really we just know enough to screw it up. Look at GMO crops. We can't even get vegetables right, how can anybody even remotely think we can get a human right.
It's going to be a scary journey as they play more and more...

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Plus let's also consider where this could all lead. At what point does the government or medical/insurance companies get to decide who gets to have kids and with whom based on genetic concerns? I can think of several doom & gloom scenarios where genetic mating could be the end of the world as we know it. Now I have to go write an email to the SciFi channel. I could have a new series up and running within the week!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca

·
883 Posts
Plus let's also consider where this could all lead. At what point does the government or medical/insurance companies get to decide who gets to have kids and with whom based on genetic concerns
Exactly - not much of a leap to see the writing on that wall:eek:

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
there is a huge difference between trying not to cause a childs suffering through not checking into the parents health history and adding monkey dna to humans (GMO)

Trying to improve or carry certain traits is how nature works.
Before the welfare age the strong and successful people had children, the lazy useless type usually starved, now bleeding hearts feed them and they breed and breed and breed.............

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Which is why I have been saying for YEARS that they need to put more research into sterility. If we could just make illegal drugs and walfare cause sterility the world would be 100x better off in just 50 years.

·
8,927 Posts
Which is why I have been saying for YEARS that they need to put more research into sterility. If we could just make illegal drugs and walfare cause sterility the world would be 100x better off in just 50 years.
There is a procedure for women that can be done where they chemically sever the tubes without invasive surgery. A similar procedure can be done for men. To reverse either is a very invasive surgery to repair and reconnect the tubes.

I have been saying for years that welfare cases need to be on birth control like the Norplant or an IUD (if not the Essure procedure mentioned above). The men should have chemical castration.

Their breeding should be controlled like it was back in the Victorian era. Back then the "poor" were were sent to work houses or debtors prison. They either worked off their debt or died there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts