Tips of all matter what

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by JayJay, Mar 28, 2014.

1. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

In our daily lives, we all like it made simple. Whether in the kitchen, garage, or bathroom, we like it simple.
    There are tips that can make our lives easier, more sustainable, and even a greater plus if that tip saves resources we are storing.
    I'd like to start a thread with those shared tips -- those used and tested that work-- and see where it goes. Does it matter if it is one already shared?? Already known by 90% here??
    Maybe that 10% didn't get it or there is even one member here that needs that knowledge and that's what this site is for. Or maybe one member forgot this tip learned from granny or mom years ago or is reminded of one forgotten and can share with us.
    Okay, I'll start with this one and even the Amish ladies at the two stores I shop didn't know this one.:partydance:
    'When cooking/baking and there are no eggs, substitute using unflavored gelatin. 1 tsp. added to 3 TB cold water, then 2 TB hot water for one egg'
    Unflavored gelatin kept cool, dry and airtight should have "an indefinite shelf-life," and you can't say that for eggs. :p

Now, your turn.
  2. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

A good Oil to apply to your skin while out in the Sun is to mix equal parts Olive Oil and Mineral Oil, and stir in 6-8 drops of Iodine. This will help protect your skin, and promote a healthy tan.

3. hardrock

hardrock Well-Known Member

Wood stove glass cleaner

My wife got a tip somewhere on line on

how to clean the glass on wood stoves.

Moisten a cloth, dip it in ashes

and with a circular motion it will clean

the glass surprisingly well. :)
  4. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Celery keeps for weeks if wrapped in aluminum foil. Lettuce keeps much longer if wrapped in paper towel and a plastic bag.
  5. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

To prevent a pot of boiling water from boiling over place a wooden spoon across the top.

6. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

For a good burn remedy, take Aloe Vera juice and freeze in an old ice cube tray. If you get burned, pop a cube out and apply as needed.
  7. Dakine

Dakine Uber Newbie

the best way I've found to clean glass without streaks is using plain old black and white newspaper and windex. Just wad up the newspaper and away you go...
  8. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

9. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

My celery wilts regardless of what I keep it in; short of dehydrating it, it will spoil.
    Nice to know.

I have a notebook, yes old timey lead pencil and paper, and copy notes in it.
    Nice to have when needed. I go to that notebook every week for needs. Categories--Kitchen-Hygiene-Health-Herbs-Illnesses-Vitamins, etc.
  10. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

You can add lavender essential oil to that aloe vera gel, too (it's excellent for burns). We keep a container of aloe vera mixed with lavender essential oil in the fridge. Comes in handy for sunburns and minor cooking burns (and can help with falling asleep on a hot night).
  11. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I just remembered one I taught myself and have no idea why.:confused:
    I burned myself and applied toothpaste(any kind) and it instantly stopped the pain and it was a bad burn.
    Then I stepped on a stinger, remembered the toothpaste trick, tried it instantly, and I mean as soon as I got to the house-straight for the bathroom- and it worked again.
    Everyone has toothpaste, and can find it quickly.
    Nice to know if children are around.
    I even carry in my bag now when out from the house.:p
  12. HardCider

HardCider Well-Known Member

Create herbicide trails thru the weeds and crop fields and leafblower trails thru the woods to funnel wildlife right where you want them. It also creates quiet scent free access to your stands
  13. Dehydrate drops of toothpaste (not the gel type). Place them in a zip lock bag. When time to brush your teeth, pop one in your mouth, a sip of water will bring it back and brush. Better than that messy gooey tube.

I know alot.....I just cant remember alot...:D

14. Davarm

Davarm Texan

If you're out of baking powder(and/or baking soda) and and want to make biscuits, clean hardwood ash can be used in its place.

Hardwood ash can also be used in place of bleach with your laundry,

You can make yogurt from powdered whole milk(Nido).

You can use green grapes(before seeds form) to make pies, cobblers and jelly, taste similar to gooseberries.
  15. bigg777

bigg777 Well-Known Member

Become proficient with atleast one firearm, it could be the difference between life and death.
  16. helicopter5472

helicopter5472 Well-Known Member

If I am in a hurry and use a box cake mix I add two over stuffed tablespoons of Miracle Whip (not Mayo) to the batter. It keeps the cake moist longer, and no you don't taste the MW in the cake.
  17. Beaniemaster2

Beaniemaster2 Well-Known Member

I love to vacuum pack everything but learned thru the years that things like pasta, rice, etc. needs to be double bagged so there won't be any holes poking thru... Also If you are vacuuming a prepackaged bag, you need to put a snip in the corner so the inner bag gets vacuumed too... PS: I even vacuum pack cake and brownie mix this way... fluffs right back up when you open the bag...

I have a Solar oven for the cakes and the tip on eggs may come in very handy... thank you :)
  18. Justaguy987

Justaguy987 Well-Known Member

ImageUploadedBySurvival Forum1396126199.583137.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Survival Forum
  19. notyermomma

notyermomma Well-Known Member

For darning socks, use an incandescent light bulb to give it a shape to conform to.

Corollary: if you still have any old incandescent bulbs sitting around, hang on to them.
  20. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Never fry up bacon while you are naked. Even if you consider the back burner safe, it ain't.