Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hope to start a small plot of Red Winter Wheat. Any Tips? In our area, (Arkansas) they plant in mid-Sept to mid-Oct, for a June harvest.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We hope to start a small plot of Red Winter Wheat. Any Tips? In our area, (Arkansas) they plant in mid-Sept to mid-Oct, for a June harvest.
No tips from the forum but I'm checking with my local Farm Center. Will keep track of as much info and results as i can and post regularly for those who may want to follow up with their own!

·
Old Dawg
67 Posts
Sage.. I just posted some on it at the other thread. I would suggest you stick to the local planting times as it reduces the chance for Hessian fly. Also to increase the yield, you should 'graze it back' to encourage tillering once it is established good, but before any chance of snow/hard freeze.

I wish you luck in your endeavor. I wish I had a penny for every acre of wheat I've planted and harvested in my life.. FB

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice! I heard the same about tillering from another source...will keep y'all posted!

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Talk to your local Extension Services agent. Ours was a big help. We are doing a test patch of oats and wheat this year.

Good luck to ya.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I've grown wheat, rye, and oats, and always planted them in the spring for a fall harvest. This year I'm going to try planting this fall for a spring/early summer crop. I don't have any experience doing it this way, but here goes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts