Tips for a homeplace

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by 41south, Dec 12, 2010.

1. 41south

41south Well-Known Member

I thought of another topic line, like tips for a homeplace, survive in place, or tips for bugging in. I don't think of what I do, as being a survivalist. I just plan on getting by, or making do as the Older Folks say. The thought of bugging, doesn't set well with me.

That being said, I have no idea, if I am the only one this topic would interest. And I don't know if it's reasonable to add another topic.

2. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I too hate the idea of bugging out. But I do have an alternate plan or two. Better to be safe than sorry.

3. 41south

True, but my concern is if everyone bugs out the bug out places will be so crowded. I can't bug out and be of any help to myself or anyone else. If I stay put, I can grow a lot of food here. I make a big garden and I let four of my friends make gardens adjoining mine, they each make a 50x100 garden plot.

I am Blessed to have enough land to let some folks do this, and am Blessed that they do, working land together, makes strong friendships.

4. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I figure for anyone who has 'become a refugee' as Plan A, they need another Plan A and they're likely living in the wrong place to begin with.

5. 41south

Made a double post sorry

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  6. 41south

Some folks have a plan to be refugees, take their cash and credit cards and head to the country, they assume country folks will help them. There is some truth in both those ideas, some do plan to head to the hills and for the most part us country folk will try to help them. But we will not be pushed, not one damn inch.

What I would like to bring out in this thread is how to's. How to salt cure pork meats, how to can sausage and freash beef, how to garden, how to can veggies, how to use what you have to get by. Dehydrating foods, I don't have a clue about that and need info on it.

I haven't searched this whole site, but I haven't seen, how to build a outhouse, where to build it, it would be a need with no water or sewer. Huh oh, thats another item to stock up on, everyone has to use lime at the outhouse.

I am building a small barn style outbuilding/cabin off to the side of my place, I am building it to look like one of those storage barns people buy now, so it won't look out of place in the area. But I am building it to my design it's a bit different than those buildings, it's going on a concrete slab, with a block foundation, I found I could have the slab poured for just a bit more than pouring a footer. The slab and walls make a good dry storage cellar, without digging in these damn rocks, and when plumbing and wiring, it's easy to roll around on a creeper, no crawling.

We are using 2x6s for the walls, makes more insulation easier, and we dropped the ceiling to 6ft 6inches, lower easier to heat. And I am doing the whole set up like the old timers did, making a set back porch to provide a natural draft, to keep it cooler, putting the kitchen on the north side to heat it when cooking with wood, adding a shed off the kitchen end to use to prepare stuff for canning, and do Summer canning outside under a shade. And the rafters of the shed roof are heavy enough to hang meats from for butchering and prepping for the freezer or smokehouse.

I have been bringing in free stuff for two years getting ready to start it, when weather breaks again, we can get back to work on it. If nothing else it will be a safe place for the girls to have sleepovers, and be off to themselves, they can talk all they want about little boys, but those little boys can't slip past my Big old Plott hounds.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

There was an article in Backwoodsman magazine a couple years ago about building little sheds like you mentioned out of pallets that hot tubs are shipped on. You can get the shids for free, usually, from a pool and hot tub dealer. You pour a pad or footer, and attach the skids to it up on end. The one in the article, if I remember right, was biult of 8x8 skids, 3 long and 2 wide, thus 16x24 feet. Even the roof was made of these. They left one out on front to make a 8'sliding door. Get some cheap siding and cut in some windows, and you're off. It could also double as a hidden in plain sight cabin, as you are describing.

8. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

I'd favor hardening one's own home as a retreat, but there's many advantages to those who have a second or third option as well. We had friends in Alabama who not only had a wonderful home, they'd an old farm house and a cabin on their land. When they built the home they lived in the other structures. If something happened to their home and it required rebuilding, they could do the same again.

9. 41south

I am not hardening this building/cabin, I am building it in manners the old timers did, so it would be easy to heat and live in, without gas or elctricity. It could easily be my home, if one of my kids had to come home for some reason, me and my dogs could take it and the kids and grandkids could have this house.

It's location and design makes it a great, hide in plain sight spot. If a hostile group did make it this far up the Valley, they would focus on the house, while we slipped off the creek bank behind the building and went up the mountain.

And it is giving me something to tinker on when the weather is good, I hope to have it all done by Summer canning season. The shed off one side will double as parking for my tillers and one tractor as well as a shady place to run the propane cooker. And I have a big wood cookstove I can set up in under the shed, in minutes if I need to.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That's quite a bit of diversity for one thread. Maybe breaking it down into separate threads; gardening, canning and dehydrating, etc. would be easier to follow and you could ask specific questions without it becoming a big blur.
    In the meantime I'll see if I can dig up a couple old threads and bump them up.