Tiny Homes in your area?????????

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by readytogo, Sep 6, 2014.

1. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Every time I come across one of this articles I wonder in what city this is taking place because major metropolitan cities have building codes and zoning's you have to obey and I know for a fact that in my city you are not allow to live in a trailer park in your property period, an official trailer park is a different thing or areas approved by zoning codes for mobile homes and if I wanted to downsize my home it would require a neighborhood voted for zoning approval any way. I don`t think the owners of a $800,000.00 home would approved a tiny home next to theirs no matter how pretty it looks.Out in open country is a different matter and still there could be zoning codes to deal with.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/i-spe...what-micro-living-is-all-about-173756547.html

2. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

I was in North Dakota this summer, and there are many man camps in the oil field area of northwest N.D. I saw several tiny homes in those man camps as I drove through.

3. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

It depends on where you live. Here in east Texas, you could build what you want wherever you want unless there are deed restrictions placed by a previous owner on the particular piece of property you buy. There are more restrictions on mobile homes & where they can be put inside the city limits, so you'd have to make sure the tiny house wasn't classified as a mobile home.

4. Grimm

Grimm There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.

I'd have loved seeing these.

5. ONEOLDCHIEF

ONEOLDCHIEF Well-Known Member

Want to build one of these to use as hunting camp...

6. weedygarden

They are definitely not for everyone.

I think they have so much potential. I also think they can be home built relatively easily. I say that and I realize there is a lot of time in building one. Once the trailer is set up to specs, I think they could be built a little here and a little there, weekends, evenings, etc. as time and money allow.

There are h.s. shop classes that are building these. It gives a student the opportunity to see the process of building a home (minus a foundation and in ground utilities) on a smaller scale.

Also, they are being built by some teenagers.

If you built one and used it for college or your single days, it could be sold and the money used as a down payment on a larger home.

A young man, the son of a former colleague got hired this summer by a company to help build these.

7. Moose33

Moose33 Well-Known Member

Fad, trend or not, I like them. Part of the problem in this country is consumerism. I'm as guilty as the next person of having g WAY too much stuff. I've been on a tear recently clearing out.

I don't think I could live in 200 square feet but 500 is easily do-able. I live in about 1,300 now (not including the basrment) and I do wish it was smaller.

8. tsrwivey

One of our daughters & SIL are going to spend the first few years of their married life living in a travel trailer. They found a sweet deal on a nice one for $6000. It will save them a ton of money that they will use to buy or build a house later.

I wish more young people would set themselves up to succeed financially. It's so hard for them to understand what a stressor money can be & how devastating money mistakes can be.

Tiny homes are something I hope catches on.

9. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Tiny Dome Homes

Tiny homes are not new in many European countries to include Japan they have been used for many years now especially because land is very expensive but my understanding is that as long as they have wheels they are consider trailers or mobile homes. I like the idea but if I was going to build one it would be a Dome type of structure http://tinyhousetalk.com/category/dome-homes/,fiberglass or spray cement shell,very energy efficient no upkeep and wind and snow resistant.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/joemoconnell/sets/72157631151284770/

10. Ozarker

Ozarker Well-Known Member

I'm a fan as well. I'm single, retired, don't entertain more than 1 or 2 folks 3 times a year (meaning I don't really entertain) and have thought about it myself. I just don't want a big place to take care of, clean and repair, mowing a 1/2 acre lot, picking up fallen limbs and trim the place. All a guy needs is a place to sleep, eat, take care of business and wash up, play some and enjoy a cold one. I have rooms in the house I've not been in some rooms for years other than to clean and touch up, yet they get heat and cooled. Dumb. If the kids come up to visit, I can put them in a motel with room service and amenities like exercise room and indoor pool cheaper than paying the upkeep on the house just for them.

As to tiny homes being allowed, I have a building I'm making repairs to now. I could convert it into a small living entertaining or special use space and call it a garden cottage, an in-law quarters or my pool house. The assessor would count it as an improvement. The electrical and plumbing needs to pass inspection the building is existing. It wouldn't have to be viewed as living space but as an outdoor amenity.
    No one can tell you that you can't sleep out on the patio or in your backyard. I could say it's my HAM shack for emergency communications and that limits several ordinance issues as federal law excepts such operations. My station doesn't have to be in my house.

I'd say it could be very hard to enforce restrictions if you owned the main house, define "living in" as opposed to living at that residence! A gated community with an HOA could be harder to get past. I'd also have the right to rent the house, just as an owner can have a boarder live-in (I don't know if the college girls would rather have the tiny house or the big house, ROTFLOL) (No, I'm not a perv, it's a great way to meet moms!)

If you just have a city lot, zoning will probably get you, you need a main home and then add the maid's quarters.

If you build on a trailer, register the trailer as an RV and put tags on it.

Lease a pond from a farmer, build it on pontoons and call it a boat, that should be cheap living. Put it on a lake or river, you'll need to move it around, anchor 200 feet away, then move it back every other day, gotta know what the regs are and follow them.....that can be a pain, but people do it.

I figure if I don't like it, I can always rent it to some college kid and get them to take care of the yard. Who knows, maybe family could move in. I'm wanting to travel too, so no home chores is a plus.

11. tsrwivey

I don't get why they just don't buy a travel trailer :dunno: most of them are self contained, small, include space saving furniture/fixtures & often have all of the tiny appliances, fixtures, & heating & AC units included in the price. All that tiny stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! :eek:

12. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

I will be building one in the next two months. I'm not quite sure about the final dimensions yet but, it will be tiny. It will be a place for my mom to spend the rest of her years. She says she doesn't want much.

13. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

No, nothing like that going up in my area, that I have seem anyway. Maybe is some more rural locations, but unlikely. The only 'smaller' homes around are older farmhouses that are torn down for developments with 4,000 sq ft new 'homes'.

I don't know how else to put it... The American dream is to live in too large a home, with all the fixin's. When I was employed in corporate, EVERYONE had a fancy home. I never gave anyone grief but always chuckled. They'd have the formal 'dining room' that was used a few times a year for Turkeyday and such. Other than that, even entertaining, they used the 'breakfast nook' or the counter with seats. Two extra bedrooms AND bathrooms... Just in case they needed them. Not to mention the large, landscaped yard which they either pay to have someone keep or spend all weekend keeping up. With NOTHING edible in it either. Talk in summer was about the electric bills to cool, winter was the bills to heat the places.

In PA I lived in a 24' x 28' two story 1856 farmhouse. 100% Gutted and remodeled it while living in it. I took my time with the upstairs as the first floor was more than I actually needed. Since moving to NC I have had two places, both 2 bath, 3 bedroom homes. One bedroom and bath were never used, storage maybe. The livingroom was much more than I actually needed in both. I pick the smallest bedroom as mine and use the large 'master bedroom and bath' for storage. Not heated or cooled. Speaking of that... Why do folks need a HUGE bedroom? I use mine for sleep, changing clothes (for work not home living) and maybe a little fun. It has been a LONG time since I wasn't single, but remember even two people could happily share that space. I just went in and checked... From my bed, the dresser is 36" away. Stand up, take a step and open a drawer. Room for a second dresser right beside it. The closet is 3 steps away, 8' from where I get out of bed. The door, two from that. Why do I need to take 3 or 5 steps to get to a dresser or closet?... Sorry, getting OT.

200 Sq. Ft. might be a little tight, even for a bachelor with puppy, but doable. The hard part, for me here in NC, would be using anything but electric heat for those chilly nights or mornings. You would need to find the perfect little wood stove to fire up, take the chill off then have it die out before the sun rose. If it gets too warm inside, even having the windows open will not let it cool down enough for the day. Then you need to trap enough of that heat to last the night, or get a small fire going in the morning.

With any micro-home, outbuildings would be key. Heck, I believe my shed with garden implements and automotive supplies is larger than that! Add onto them food and sundry supplies, you need a few outbuildings.

14. HardCider

HardCider Well-Known Member

A small, heavily insulated tiny house, heated with wood, is a great start to a resilient, independent homestead. It would also need a larger barn or two just to store supplies and equipment. But what farm doesn't have outbuildings

15. readytogo

readytogo ExCommunicated

Don`t bite more than you can chew

It seems to me that the American dream has become a nightmare for many, big everything while not realizing that it cost more to up keep, the goose that was laying the golden eggs has dry up and now and after generations of empty minds the realization that our forefathers and elders had the right idea and logic, make do with what you can, not with what you want was my father`s advice to me,pass on to my children now.Many complain about the economy blame the government but never take a look around the big living room or master dining room they never visit but have to keep cool or warm,at a cost..Gluttony apply s to many things.

16. tsrwivey

With our hot, humid climate, I don't think out buildings would cut it. When you store food over 75 degrees, the shelf life starts to plummet. The humidity will rust the canned goods in a year, putting the seal in jeopardy (I've got that t-shirt). Seems like climate controlling the out buildings would just be a house with detached rooms, which would defeat the purpose of having a tiny house. I just don't know what you'd do with all the stored food, medicine, etc. :dunno:

I have seen a couple go up around here on the outskirts of town. I'll try to take pics & post them.

17. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

Yep. I agree with you 100%

My wife (as a child) first house was a chicken coop on her grandparents farm. No running water and a bucket for the pot.

Her father wasn't able to keep a job so they were constant moving from rental to rental. One year she lived in 3 different houses in 3 different school districts.

15 years ago I built her, her dream home. :surrender:

Formal dining room that is used a few times each year. We used the breakfast nook for our meals.

Formal living room used 3 or 4 times a year.

Her house is a security that she never had growing up and "proof" that she is OK.

I did put my foot down on building a family room in the basement. Why have a family room when we have a living room that is barely used?

18. weedygarden

I totally get your point.

I understand that travel trailers are not as well insulated as Tiny Home can be. That is probably not as much a concern in the south as it is in the north, such as North Dakota where winters can be brutal.

Tiny Homes can be made with many options for layouts, materials, appliances, size and more. Yes, there is a lot of variety in travel trailers.

Building your own tiny house can give people lots of building experience. I am fascinated at how many (but not all) young people are into learning to make things for themselves.

Growing up, I lived in a small town fairly close to the Missouri River where there were many dams being built. There were many people who moved to my home town for a period of time to do their piece of building the dam and electrical power supply from them. I knew people that moved their trailer to the location where their piece of the work was. I know at least one family that moved 6 times. There are people who have the need to relocate fairly often due to work.

I think of the men I know personally who are working in the oil fields in North Dakota, but have families elsewhere. A tiny house would be an option for them, especially given how cold it is in those parts.

I think of people who are unemployed or underemployed who could build these tiny homes as a way to supplement their incomes. This is certainly not for everyone.

I think of homeless people who could build one of these or have access to something like them. I know there are people who are genuinely interested in working, but are struggling in keeping their heads above water.

These are some of my thoughts. I have more!

19. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

Get married.

Two incomes.

Prove to the Bride that she didn't marry a bum.

Borrow for a house.

Borrow for the furniture.

Borrow for the refrigerator with the automatic ice cube and water dispenser.

Borrow for 2 vehicles.

Borrow for the vacation.

Automatic credit card monthly payment (loan) for the wide screen TV and satellite sports package.

One income until the baby is old enough to stay at a babysitter.

Overtime cut, medical bills, THE bills, the stress resulting in fighting over money problems.

Expense from the divorce.

Wonder what went wrong.

20. nightwing

nightwing Well-Known Member

people do get the cart before the horse but we live in a completely different world you have to have a cell phone for employment you need a address and many times you may need a bill to verify your address.

A good job requires references and most jobs do not have face to face interviews and you have to have a E-mail address and a credit score.
    many even do background checks.

before you even start many jobs are not open to most young people just starting out one they have these amenities they fell the need for looking like a up and coming individual so they need a bed furniture etc.

furnished apartments are not the norm and decent flop houses are infested with thieves and dope heads so people want a better safer area and that costs at least a couple of hundred more.

even a bus pass added to all the other costs to live eliminates the ability for an hourly worker to save.
    most entry level jobs you have to buy uniforms shoes and shirt that no one would wear anywhere else and all before you make the first check.
    and most want to hold back a week or 2 depends on when their pay day is.

I have had to help a few young people to get started and don't get me started on construction entry level jobs.
    steel toed boots hard hat gloves and sometimes other special equipment.

it is getting more difficult and complicated and I see that it will only get worse, as some jobs you have to have a HS check copies of all your papers like SSI card I.D. card and some even require that you have a credit card.
    So if you don't have a family support group it is almost impossible
    some children are from families that are drunks and dope heads and do not even know where they were born. because they were abandon or orphaned and left to the street.