Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
freezing weather will be here soon, if you have a seldom or lightly used tractor or other machine with oil filled cases, now is a good time to make sure the water that has gotten in to the oil is drained out, most older machines have NPT (national pipe thread) drain plugs. the threads are tapered slightly, and if loosened a bit will often let water seep by the threads, and not let oil pass. this can save an oil pump drive (JD 2 cylinder) or a gearbox if the machine needs to be used unexpectedly in below freezing weather.

Also a good time to change fuel filters on anything that will get used in cold weather, along with conditioning the fuel in diesel engines

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
We cleaned the flue and the wood stove a few months ago. We do the maintenance on the generators (residential and portable) in May before hurricane season. The propane tanks are full (we would never want to experience what some of you went through this past winter with propane shortages and higher prices).

·
Cowboy
3,568 Posts
Cleaning the leaves out of gutters.

Every year the gutter's on the second floor get higher and the extension ladder gets heavier.

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
Raking up the leaves and debris. Last winter I fell several times going up and down the driveway because we didn't rake the last few leaves before the snow came. Since the snow was sitting on the leaves it was loose and made slipping easy. Bruised knees and butt are not fun!

·
WELL SEASONED
783 Posts
Blow leaves off roof and gutter guards, install driveway reflectors, remove mower deck and install snow blade, change to lighter motor oil in tractor, install tire chains on tractor, check antifreeze specific gravity on all vehicles, winterize ac unit, set out snow shovels at all out building doors, winterize pressure washers, put deck furniture away, install sand tubes in bed of truck. I know I missed something, just don't know what it is.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Gardens are plowed, feed for the chickens and dog are stocked for the winter. I typically do my maintenance on the farm equipment thru the winter and still have pldnty of projects to do before spring. New grape arbor to build, prune and fertilize the orchard and berry patch, plant some new fruit trees, put a cold frame together. Well that's a start.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
It's also a good idea to test the coolant in your vehicles' radiators. Any auto parts store will carry a tester, and they're pretty cheap. The floating balls will tell you if your antifreeze solution is strong enough.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well yard and things around house are picked up and put Where it belongs.. checked all Fluids on car truck and wife's cousin truck all up too specific...

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
Haul leaves to the garden to be cut in for Spring planting.

·
Registered
595 Posts
freezing weather will be here soon, if you have a seldom or lightly used tractor or other machine with oil filled cases, now is a good time to make sure the water that has gotten in to the oil is drained out, most older machines have NPT (national pipe thread) drain plugs. the threads are tapered slightly, and if loosened a bit will often let water seep by the threads, and not let oil pass. this can save an oil pump drive (JD 2 cylinder) or a gearbox if the machine needs to be used unexpectedly in below freezing weather.

Also a good time to change fuel filters on anything that will get used in cold weather, along with conditioning the fuel in diesel engines
don't forget the batteries .... check the cell water and put a trickle charger on for the winter ....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts