Time to Get Out of CA??

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by seansolo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. seansolo

seansolo Newbie

Just wanting to get some ideas here. I live in central CA and have wanted to get out for MANY years (you can ask my wife). You always hear that as CA goes, so goes the nation. Well at last count, CA is screwed!! I hear of business leaving by the droves, morality has been chucked out the window, etc. I don't want to be caught when this ship goes under. There are still a few sane ones in CA, and I think we are all trying to escape, lol. Any ideas on where to move in the country? Texas is definitely on my radar because of the mindset of not taking crap from anyone especially the government. Any input would be interesting to hear. Oh yeah, I am also in my late 30's and never really had a set "career" and wanting to better my family with news of our first kid on the way. Where is the economy still going strong and friendly to running your own business. Any input would be great. Thanks all. :)

2. rflood

rflood Well-Known Member

I've heard encouraging things about Texas as it relates to it's economy and as far as the geography, weather and people go it sounds pretty good. I did hear Austin was doing well and some outlying towns around there.
    I think someone who is from there might give you a natives opinion but I'd move there if the opportunity presented itself.

3. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

If I were in your shoes (my 2 cents)... and assuming

I'd stay away from from most any state that touches an ocean or Mexico.
    States that touch the Pacific are too left leaning.
    Most states that touch the Atlantic have too high of taxes and regulations (particularly in the North East, like MA, NY, NJ, PA...).
    States that touch Mexico have immigration issues.
    Of the states that do touch an ocean, the only ones that I find appealing would be NC or ME.
    Michigan has job issues and Illinois has too many regs (and Chicago politics).

I look at all the ones in between... I do like KY and TN but there's high unemployment right now.
    Of the remaining, MT, WY and NE would be my choices. I like MT and WY and NE is attractive because nothing ever happens there which is appealing to me.

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I'd vote for Montana, because I live there, but property is ridiculously high-priced, and jobs are non-existant. Lots of out-of-work people trying to start businesses or make money any way they can.

Other than that, and the fact that we need new Senators (one helped write the Health Care reform abomination and the other is always trying things like making everything into wilderness), this will be a great place to be if the SHTF.

There are reasonable deals to be found on property, but mostly it takes knowing someone who lives here to find them. The realtors hold out the pricey stuff ot out-of-staters.

5. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

That reminds me. There's a large mining operation going on in NW WY. Last I heard, they were hiring tons of people. Might be worth looking into.

6. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Tennessee sounds great to me because I will be retired pretty soon, and the real estate prices are great.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

I heard that north central Nevada (Ely, Winnemucca) were hiring a lot of miners too. Land is pretty reasonable there.

Even if a person doesn't want to be a miner, having mines that are hiring means other related jobs as well as service industry jobs in the area.

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

without knowing your particulars; skillset, work history, etc etc... I wouldn't even begin to try to tell you where to move... If you have a marketable skill, TX is probably your best bet, many of my friends & family have migrated there in the last 3 years, and I probably would too if I didn't have my parents to take care of (a cross I gladly bear & hope to for many years).

good luck to you

9. seansolo

seansolo Newbie

wow, thanks for all the input and different thoughts, very interesting! Some of those things i have not thought about with the states touching oceans and Mexico, all very true statements. Yeah, i'm not looking for someone to fix my worries, lol. Just getting some input. I am definitely on the quickest way out of CA in my mind, now just have to get the job and wife in line, lol. I have lived here my whole life and i know there is "life outside the walls". Thanks again all:beercheer:

10. roaringaslan

roaringaslan Member

Nebraska

I live in Nebraska and we've been one of the least affected states by the econimic problems and have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the nation. There's also plenty of wide open spaces! Good luck wherever you should decide to move.