Time After Time-Clocks & Watches

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by ReadyMom, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ReadyMom

ReadyMom Well-Known Member

[​IMG] We need to keep track of time. What time to get home. What time to meet. They are the two that I'd want to keep track of, WTSHTF. Waking and sleeping will probably come 'naturally'.

So ... most of our clocks and watches are run by battery now. Have you found a wind-up alternative for them, yet?

I've been looking on line and they are not cheap. I'm having trouble finding any in our local stores. -k

2. power

power ExCommunicated

If SHTF ever happens what time it is will become unimportant.
    To some people, me included, the time isn't important right now.
    There are many windup clocks and watches available. I have several of both stuffed around in cabinets somewhere. Both can be found pretty cheap.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have a baby ben wind-up alarm clock ... Picked it up at a K-mart store for, I'm thinking 12 bucks ... When we first got it I had a hard time remembering to wind it. :D

But I have worked that out now. lol

4. ReadyMom

ReadyMom Well-Known Member

Someone else posted this type of thought on another forum and the following was a response. The response falls more in line with the type of scenarios I was thinking about:

5. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

We have a wall clock that's powered by AA batteries. I have about 50 now and expect to have 200 or so in the months ahead. I don't expect to need another clock. I haven't worn a watch in years.

6. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I have a windup watch that I have had for years. Windup clocks are not hard to fined.

7. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

set your wind up clock by the bed and wind every morn or nite. we have a couple of pendulum clocks that you pull the weights on. And if the shtf why worry about the time left? we will be busy enjoying the fruits of our labors while others are searching for food warmth and shelter..:D

8. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

I got a wind up pocket watch for Christmas. my daughters BF got it for me while he is stationed in Germany. It's really nice and keep time well. I got a wind up wrist watch for my birthday this year because everyone knows I have been looking for one.
    my step Mom got it for me. I asked where she got it. From a catalog. Says she doesnt have that catalog now but will get one soon.

ETA: Vermont Country Store web site;
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/products/clothing/mens-clothing/mens-accessories-and-gadgets/Mens-Wind-Up-Watch.html?evar3=search

Funny: I always set a new watch and leave it on the table so I can check it throughout the day and make sure it runs on time. The watch seemed to do fine but then It quit. I was bent a bit that my new watch was broke. I then remembered, Its a wind up! you forgot to wind it. DuH!!!!!! It works fine...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I have a sundial. :eek:

10. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

My wife got me that for my birthday. Figured I wouldn't have to do much I guess.:hmmm:

11. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Found my windup clock at a yard sale for $1. You can still find them at Dollar General or Fred's Discount, maybe even Wally world.

12. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

"travel alarm clocks" are available in both battery and wind-up

13. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Build a sun dial,may as well go all out.:cool:

14. kyhoti

kyhoti Member

We've got a German cuckoo clock with the weights on it. It was a gift, so didn't cost us a dime, and it runs pretty close to good time (enough to know when an hour has passed to within a few seconds). The clock maker stated that as we run it, the spring will "normalize" and the clock will be more consistent, then we can tune it with a little key in the gears to get it spot on. All I would do in a fan event is remove the hammer to the gong so the darn thing isn't ringing every 15 minutes.

15. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Though I understand your thought process, I don't see most of your posters ideas being an issue. There are other ways to keep "time" if needed. I don't plan on leading any attacks on anyone and needing that sort of timing. Distance in a shtf may be somewhat important, and if using a compass then time will be needed.

Guess I just don't see keeping time (hour to hour) a big deal down the road if we're just trying to survive.

As far as spending any big $$ on a timepiece, I won't. I have a couple of wind-up clocks and a couple of selfwinding watches. That will be my "time" prep.

I have a month pole in my retreat yard. It shows me where the shadow is for the middle of any given month. Took 2 years to get it right. It'll keep me in the right month and that's for planting and livestock timing.

Jimmy

16. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Not a huge issue.... my little LCD folding travel alarm clock has been going for 5 years with the same cheapy-chinese AAA battery that came with it. A very "low current draw" item.

17. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Jimmy it would be neccessary to have a clock to time the canning process of produce and meats. Or if you were baking bread or something.

18. power

power ExCommunicated

My grandmother canned thousands of quarts of everything and baked thousands of loafs of bread and never looked at a clock.
    A clock would be one of those things you got after you already had just about everything else you needed.

19. tugboats

tugboats Well-Known Member

If I was on land time would not be that important. Go to bed when God turns the lights off and get up when He turns the lights on. Very simple.

When at sea (in a SHTF situation) an accurate chronometer (land lubbers...this is a clock) you can determine your relative position with a sextant. GPS, ADF and RDF will not be working. Yatchsmen prefer not to navigate by sound. i.e." crunch"......I just found shore.

A good time piece is almost as valuable as a sea worthy hull. We are all at the mercy of our own shortcomings. My shortcomings: Let me get my crew (family) back in as good of shape as when we left.

For land a good clock is great. I have three we picked up at Wally World that wind up and ring like the end of the world is comming in the morning. This has saved me several times when the power has failed. I have only been late for work 6 times in 35 years. In my defense 4 of these times I had sick kids to deal with. The other two were just screw ups on my part.

I keep two in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. Yes, I have fallen back to sleep in the library.

If you want a wind up alarm clock get one. If you motor or sail by all means by a chronograph.