This yrs garden

Discussion in 'Gardening and Agriculture' started by TreeMUPKennel, Apr 6, 2010.

1. TreeMUPKennel

TreeMUPKennel Well-Known Member

Well tried things different this yr. Decided to build wooden boxes in rows to plant in this yr. There 2ft x 8ft and some a little narrower than others. But didnt want to till up the yard again. Hated it last yr all the weeds and so on in the garden. Maybe this will be easier to maintain in the boxes. Not sure will see.
    But so far there great, but still needing a few more built, still got some time for that too. As of now I got the lettuce, brocoli, squash, cucumbers, banana peppers, jalepeno, bell peppers, grape tomaters, cherry tomaters, and a few regulars tomaters going. And a couple herbs. Soon as the rest of the boxex are built I finish with the other goodies to grow. Weather here in good ole North Carolina is be great. Should be a good growing yr.

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I grow my tomatoes like that and they do well ... and this year my grandbaby wanted her 'own' garden so we fixed her a 4 x 4 box. She planted lettuce, squash and onions. :D

Happy gardens!

3. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Old tires in the garden

I'm sure Uncle Joe will know this but...

The Lady of the Manor, and I are in disagreement...( this is not a new thing :D)

I think using old tires filled with mulch etc would be great for tall planters for stuff like squash, tomatoes, etc ..here in E TX not so much for the Solar effect on the mulch inside but just handy...She on the other hand thinks it would not be a good thing simply because tires are a petroleum product...to me old tires have so many great uses..to her..not so...

Any idea from anybody? have ya done it? do your veggies taste like old tires? do your squash have tiny Michelin emblems on them?

I doubt anything will change her mind but I'm willing to swim again the tide!

4. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Sorry HozayBuck but I agree with The Lady of the Manor :D ... We do use old tires but not for growing food. Why? Well I not sure... but I'm sure I did read something about it somewhere. :D

They are great for putting dog/goat/etc water buckets in, so they don't tip them over and the turkeys love to make a nest in them. :D So I guess we do agree that old tires have so many great uses ... just not growing food in them. (JMO)

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

OH SURE... single me out as the one that does the oddball things. :rolleyes:

But since you brought up, I, uh, do have a potato plant growing in 2 tires filled with straw. :eek: It's only a few inches tall right now. But I read about tire gardens in a couple different places and just had to give it a try. :sssh:
    I'll try to remember to post the results when it matures.

6. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Tires and gardening

Have thought about using tires too, but came across this note on the internet:

Los Angeles Cooperative Extension offers the following information, in an article on trace elements and urban gardens. Excerpt:

Cadmium is a contaminant of many manufactured products containing zinc. Any zinc plating or galvanizing operations and galvanized metal containers sometimes used in horticulture and gardening operations are potential sources of cadmium. Zinc is also used in the vulcanization process in tire manufacturing. As tires wear, they give off minute, dust-like rubber particles containing cadmium that easily disperse and accumulate in soils and on plants.

I certainly don't think you want to grow vegetables in a cadmium-laced container. In situations where there is any doubt about safety, I would recommend growing ornamental plants in the tubs, and growing edibles in untreated wood or clay pots.

7. HozayBuck

Thanks folks!!
    I will stop whining about using tires, but I'm not gonna tell her the results of this small survey :D

funny thing tho I think she likes the Earth Ship thing..:dunno:

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

If it is true that zinc and tires go hand-in-hand, why is it that I see abandoned roadways (paved) that are literally falling to pieces and I can pick all kinds of berries off of plants that grow through the pavement - as well as need to clear paths through the tall grasses?

9. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't either.

10. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Well the garden is off and running, getting ready to pick the second batch of strawberries. Potatoes recovered just fine after the cold snap. Beans and pickling cucs will take a little longer though.

Attached Files:

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Great pictures! :2thumb:

I just started on my warm weather crops the other day ... so they will be a while.

12. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

We finally got the cool weather crops in which is fine since it has been a coolish Spring here in MN. We planted beet, 2nd round of radishes, greens, and carrots. Potatoes and peas are already in the ground. Next are the warm weather plants at the end of May with tomatoes, peppers, etc.

13. HozayBuck

Our spuds are about a foot tall, and looking good, the squash and cannylopes are up good, corn is about 4 to 8 inchs, depending if it's a stalk the damn chicks chomped..we will have to replant okra and a bit of corn and the bush beans but as it is the garden will be some good munching...

shouldn't cuss the chicks, the last of the Silky chicks went MIA today, lil chits just have to go to the woods like the big's..

And the Tommytoes are the best I've ever had any luck with.. maybe they will actually produce.... naaa can't happen...

14. UncleJoe

OH they look tasty! Mine are still little green buttons.

Potatoes about 6" tall. Peas are climbing up the trellis.

Warm weather stuff will be a couple weeks yet.

15. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Waiting until May 15 to put my seedlings outside. Tomatos are 4-6", Peppers are around 1'.

16. TreeMUPKennel

TreeMUPKennel Well-Known Member

Finaly got use some much needed rain yesterday. Garden and yard all needed it very much. But everything is still growing good and strong. Last couple days been finding a few squash bugs here and there, and some cabbage worms:mad:. But picked me up a couple chicks to roam the garden and dispose of the critters for me:D.

17. UncleJoe

I mentioned it in the "May Weather" thread, but I'll pop it in the garden thread too.

Last Friday morning I put in the first round of tomatoes, beans and cukes from the seed I started inside about a month ago. At 5:30 that afternoon we had 60mph winds, torrential rain and nickel sized hail.

Here are a few photo's sent to a local TV station.

May 14 Hail | abc27 News Gallery

Beans and cukes were gone, the pea trellis was blown down, tomatoes are twigs and the beets, carrots, broccoli and potatoes are flat on the ground.
    We went to an auction Saturday so I spent all day Sunday leveling out the ditches left by the rain, rebuilding the trellis, which somehow didn't destroy the pea plants, and replanting the beans and cukes from seed. The root crops and peas should recover. The tomatoes; :dunno:
    I figure that little storm set me back about 3 weeks. :(

18. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

:eek: What a storm!!!!!

Sorry about the garden loss.

19. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Got my pepper and tomato plant starts planted in the ground yesterday, 24 tomato plants and 20 pepper plants. Should have alot in 2 months, :2thumb:still have some garden space left may see what's around at the green houses.

20. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

Pruned the tomatoes to day. Iv got some tinny tomatoes and a bunch of flowers. will have some green beans in a week or two. peppers are not doing to well for some reason :dunno: squash is doing well will have some in a few days. green onions are growing slow as are the carrots. corn is around 10 inches.