Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a new store opened up in this area. It is called Red Dawn and they promote themselves as a hunting, survival and recreation store.

The hubby and I have been in there several times since they opened. EVERY SINGLE time we have gone in there have been at least 3 or 4 other couples and a bunch of single folks in and out in the half hour or so we spend looking around.

I usually buy at least a couple of cans of Auguson Farms or Honeyville Grain stuff from them and the hubby always finds some kind of little knic-knack or book he thinks he needs ... but I digress ... :sssh:

Anyway ... The thing that makes me feel so good is that every single time so far (about a dozen or so) at least a couple, three different people have approached me and asked me about long term food storage, or water storage, or dehydrating (seems it kinda depends on what I am looking at) ...

In the course of these conversations I am learning that these folks are BRAND SPANKING NEW to the thought that they might need to do some preparing but the are SO EAGER to learn. I honestly believe that "preparedness" is becoming mainstream and it makes me feel a bit more comfortable with my location (suburb).

So many times we are quick to judge those who don't get it. These folks who are out there trying to "tighten up a little" do my heart good though.

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
That is encouraging. Maybe more people are heeding the urge to prepare. You obviously "look" like an expert. LOL

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Agree, it is always encouraging to see people who finally get it. We have been working on folks by living the example of fugal living, self-suficiency, and prepping. Looks like we just added on more to the list today.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In the past 5 years, we have had 4 survival stores open up in our town. Makes me happy too!

·
New here
137 Posts
One of the major gun shops in my area has been advertising for a store specializing in emergency goods, i.e. freeze dried food (Mountain Home and Thrive), water and water purifiers as well as Bug-out-Bags and first aid kits. The name of it is ready Outdoors, besides their website they have tow things printed on their business cards, "WILL YOU BE READY" and "A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." Proverbs 27:12.

The gun shop (Hoover Tactical Firearms) advertises heavily on the same talk radio station that carries Glenn Beck. Beck has been advocating preparing for bad times for 2-3 years on his show. Although the shop just started having Ready Outdoors catalogs and cards for the last couple of weeks it's a step in the right direction and shows that more people are waking up.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Good news.Maybe there is hope for this nation of sheep after all.If they can wake up anything can happen.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Wow. To my knowledge there aren't any of thse type of stores in the Pittsburgh area. We have places like Gander Mountain and Cabella's in Wheeling is maybe about an hour from us. Also, Lehman's in Ohio is a couple hour drive but we can be there and back in a day. And we do have your basic food warehouse club stores as well.

Any other Pittsburgh preppers know of any other brick and mortar prepper stores besides those?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is encouraging. Maybe more people are heeding the urge to prepare. You obviously "look" like an expert. LOL
I wish ... actually I think it is more like I look like everybody's grandma and I'm always carrying something around ... I buy something every single time I go in there ... it's worse than shoe shopping!! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts