Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Got one of them - it takes forever to charge-up an iPhone with it, so, I got a 12-volt-to-USB converter that I can plug directly into my 13-watt solar-panels to charge up electronic devices. I also got a hard-wired 12-volt-to-USB converter that I have mounted to my motorbike - primarily to power my GPS, but, it will also work for any USB device ..

·
Registered
260 Posts
Be careful...

I bought a similar unit that uses AA batteries to recharge my Nextar mp3 players. While the units did recharge the units, :) it also had the annoying habit of erasing the data stored on the player! :gaah:

Some units may need the computer hookup to control the charging process. :dunno:

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
I got a 12-volt-to-USB converter that I can plug directly into my 13-watt solar-panels to charge up electronic devices.
A MUCH better solution!!!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I bought one of these recently. I have yet to test it, but when I do, I will let folks know
Product Card

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
I have 12 volt adapters for almost every portable electronic item. Charging something from AA batteries is expensive and a waste of time. It is an extremely short term solution.

12 volt DC is VERY standard, not only in automotive terms but also solar panels. If you can not have 110 volt AC "outlet" power, then do what you have to do, to make 12 volt DC power the standard of lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm too far north to charge things with solar power. There are trees to our south. We don't get direct sunlight in our house except for a few hours a day during the summer. Some devices use a lot less power than others. I would think that with 100 batteries and a battery-to USB charger I could power my Kindle and use it for YEARS.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Bill, even in Wisconsin in the winter you can get enough sunlight to keep your kindle charged, you just need to get a decent solar panel and get it AWAY from the trees!!

That "Use by 2018" date you see on dry cells nowadays? DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!

I did a test...I have some from 2006 that were labeled "Use by 2013" and they were shot in 4 years... I didn't "use them" in anything, just stored them. That "Use by xxxx" date is a JOKE. And I am not laughing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts