Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lets face it, in today's world, a lot of companies just pay lip service to standing behind their products and providing outstanding customer service. Some are terrible, most are just average, but some just will do anything within reason to back up their product, without requiring anything more than "it didn't work right, or it didn't last, or even I'm unhappy with it".

Two cases in point...

First one, I like Keen's hiking boots and shoes. I've been wearing Keen's for about 4 years now, they're comfortable, durable, and I wear them everyday, all day while working as a mechanic and a part time rancher. I generally don't spend over $100 on shoes unless they're jump boots or really good cowboy boots, but I'd heard good things and so I gave them a try. The first pair made it almost two years until I literally wore the soles to the point they're only wearable when it's dry. My next pair (I bought two pair, one for work and one for "dress") made it about a year, and the toe caps on one started coming unglued.

I couldn't take them back to the store, because I didn't have the receipt any longer, so I filed a warranty claim on Keen's website. Got an email back from them for a $100 credit to anything on their site, good for a year. Today the UPS truck dropped off my new boots. They didn't want the old ones back (can't blame them there) but I would have been more than happy with even half that, considering that they had been heavily used.

Next one is really good...

I started reloading cartridges in 1978 on an RCBS Reloader Special press. Years of dependable service from their product. Fast forward to 2015 and I decide to clean up and "restore" the well worn press and managed to shoot the clip that holds the shell holder to the ram clear across the shop. Looked for days, couldn't find it. Also couldn't find the part number for it online, so I contacted customer service told them what I had and what I needed.

I had also broke a de-priming pin on a new set of dies when a case got stuck in the die and needed a part number to order those too. Short story is that RCBS sent me three new clips and a pack of five depriming pins, no charge. It wasn't their fault in any way, but they took outstanding care of their customer.

Dakine recently posted about his good experience with 5.11. Since we all pretty much share the same interests and use the same products, it would benefit all of us here to share with each other the Companies who really do care about their products performance and do customer service right.

So, please let's hear them!

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
This is not really a 'prep' product per say but here goes.

I got an Eastpak backpack when I was in high school. It lasted all through the 4 years and then some. When we lived up the mountain and our first dog, Winter, was still young she chewed a hole in the front pocket of the backpack (now almost 20 years old). Since I was planning to use it for a 3 day pack I called the company to see how much having it repaired would cost me. They said to just send it in so they could take a look. A few weeks later I got it back 100% repair for free.

9 years ago K got a Jansport backpack to lug his welding leathers to work. Since it was a very basic model I didn't expect it to last too long. Normally I make sure any bag for this type of purpose has the leather bottom but K bought this one and it did not have the leather. The bottom wore thin after 7 years so I sent it in to Jansport and they sent us a brand new bag for free. They no longer use the patterned fabric the original bag was made of so they replaced it at their cost.

·
Noob
764 Posts
I have a Sog Twitch 2 pocket knife. I carry it everyday and consider it my favorite. One day one of the small screws holding the outer clip fell out. I called Sog to get a screw at my expense since I felt it was my fault for not keeping up maintenance. They said oh no that is not how we do things. They sent me a new clip with 2 new screws free and including shipping. The best part was I did not have to prove that I even owned the knife.

·
985 Posts
Cast iron cookware. I have several skillets, pans, and dutch ovens.
If you treat them right, they will last many lifetimes. Lodge is really great because they are US made and readily available. A lot of the older companies made some awesome cookware, but may no longer be around for service, warranty, repairs, etc.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Kershaw has excellent customer service as well. I have two their knives and both broke the retaining clip that keeps the blades closed. Was going to buy some. Nope sent them for free. They only wanted the model numbers of the knives.

·
594 Posts
Not a prepping product but worth mentioning. We had a Pfister-Spectrum Brand kitchen faucet start to be a little hard to swivel from sink to sink, it's the single handle kind with the hose. Installed it in 2008. Was about to take it apart myself, but thought I'd write the company and ask about what lubricate to use. Instead they sent me a whole new replacement, no questions asked.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All good stories...

It doesn't need to be a prep item, the important thing to know is who REALLY stands behind their products, even when it's your fault it broke. Those are the people I want to recommend to y'all or have recommended to me.

It's not a attempt to get something for nothing, I've always been upfront when something breaks or fails. But just knowing that a company is going to go the extra mile, tells me a lot about how they view their products quality as well as their reputation for making a quality item. Those are the companies I don't mind paying a premium price for their products.

When someone I know has had a problem, and they tell me "hey, it broke because __________, but they made it right even though they didn't have to or need to, that's where my hard earned money will go...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I bought a Henry .22 rifle.
I had a problem with it not feeding the last round.
I emailed Henry Rifles and I got a reply back within the hour from Anthony Imperato, the President of Henry Rifles.
He sent me a replacement feed tube free.
That fixed my feed problem.
Henry Rifles stand behind their product 100%.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Purchased a replacement tea kettle from TJ Maxx. It never pleased me and felt or seemed to be of lower quality than its predecessor. Commented to customer service of my disappointment in apparent lower quality. Without proof of purchase or price I was sent a gift card in the approximate amount I'd paid for it.

·
Uber Newbie
3,154 Posts
Here's a bad experience made right by a company that had no obligation to do so at all. Dawson Precision Arms

I bought a supposed to be drop in front sight replacement for a Rock Island tactical 1911, the problem was that the part they shipped didn't match my gun.

I called them and asked and was told oh yes, it's definitely the right part. I took it to the LGS with a guy that I trust and we've done some mods on some of my guns before and I know he's used to looking at these kinds of things, and we can see it's obviously the wrong part. There's a completely different groove angle.

Okay cool, and he sets me up with Armscorp contact info so I can share with them the phone pics I took and validate what is going on. (as it happens, RIA uses two different cuts for their front sight, this has been a few years ago, and I don't remember why they do, but they just do or did)

Armed with pic's, the firearm importers ruling and advice, and hopes of having my new front sight shipped out, I called back and spoke to "her" again.

Okay, we're really busy, I'll call you back with the order number.

crickets...

a week goes by, I call back... Oh yes, we're aware of it, just really busy, I'll call you back!

two weeks go bye.

crickets...

I call back... well, they aren't ready to work on your sights yet (I never said anything about them working on it, I only asked them to ship me the right part and give me an RMA number for returning the WRONG part)

okay... how long will that take? she says well, at minimum 6 weeks, but it could be 6 months.

So she just asked me to ship them the bad front sights they sent me, and my slide (rendering the gun unusable) to them, a company based on their sole point of contact who had failed to meet several assurances of contacting me the customer with a status, and finally she says it may take 6 months or more for them to just look at my slide and tell me if they sent me the right part or not and that I'll just have to ride it out.

Thanks, I'll think that over.

About two or three months later, I finally get fed up with their automated sales email blasts hitting my inbox and I fired off a really snarky reply, which I had absolutely no belief a real person would read, most email blasts are sent by unmonitored accounts, they don't look for replies, the email contains a link that puts you into their purchase flow.

I replied that if they had even half as much interest in servicing an existing customer that they do in spamming me their current sales I might even be interested in buying something again from them instead of telling everyone I meet how lousy they are.

The same day... I get an email reply. (at this point I'm really shocked, because she had set the bar pretty low on customer service)

Please let me know what happened, we're working through some customer service issues, we know this has been a problem, and we're really sorry, we're gonna make it right!

a phone call later, and an RMA, and I don't think it took even a week, there and back, my slide was back with the front sight installed and I got a Dawson shirt that I will proudly wear based on their service.

They had one really bad employee, I talked to this guy a couple times on the phone as this was going on after he became aware of my personal problem with them the first time. basically she was just not doing anything, their own shop was wondering what was going on, they were running out of work... they were like... uhhhhhhhh????? everyone else in the gun industry planet is saturated, and we're bored? that doesn't sound right.

They fixed their employee issue, and they listened to their customer, even on a channel most companies do NOT monitor (mine doesn't listen to auto blast email replies at all, and I think the email box is even set to not take replies)

my final impression with Dawson is that they DO value customers, they are a first rate shop and they did the right thing, above and beyond!

If I was in the market and was going to actually use it, I'd be shopping there first, maybe one day if I move from IDPA to IPSC.

(I can afford their guns, I just don't shoot that style and spending that much on a 1911 is prohibitive, right now I'd rather buy two more nightforce rifle scopes than that race 1911)

So, long story short... Dawson Precision... :2thumb:

ETA: this wasn't just triage, the guy I was talking to was a shooter!!! he knew way more about what I wanted to do with my gun than I did in respect to those particular sights, he asked a LOT of questions and LISTENED to the answers, he even steered me away from buying rear sights from them (spending more money) and thought that I would be fine if he changed the sight I bought to a narrower profile and the correct cut.

I honestly felt like I was the most important customer they had, and all they were obligated to do was issue a refund, and I tell everyone now that I love their attention to detail and customer service and I saw them first hand, make a bad thing right and do it the best way possible.

If I was gonna do business with them again right now today it would be "yeah okay cool, my gun is in the mail!"

·
8,927 Posts
Pioneer Pets.

LOVE THEM! I have a pair of their ceramic pet fountains for the cats. The center rubber feed tube on one of my fountains was old and cracking. I called them up and wanted to order a pair. The customer service rep told me that they made a change to the tube to improve the useful life and would send me 2 for every fountain I owned. Four days later I got 4 silicone feed tubes in the mail.

Years before this I had gotten a pair of their "Ultimate Scratchers" at a damaged/return auction at a closing department store. The top trim of the scratchers was cracked and broken but did not affect the functionality of them. I emailed Pioneer Pets to buy a pair of replacement trim pieces. Again they sent me free of charge 2 new replacement parts. They did not care I had bought the scratchers damaged, they just wanted to make sure I was happy with their products.

·
Newbie (in training)
806 Posts
Dewalt. I have plenty of Dewalt tools. One day, I bought a new van and stocked it with tools to start another crew. One of the tools was a new dewalt sawzall.

Two days later, I was up in the trusses of a building, using the new sawzall. I slipped and dropped it 35'. It landed on a concrete slab and wouldn't work.

That night, I stopped by my supplier and told my salesman (jokingly) this new sawzall is a piece of crap, all I did was drop it 35' onto concrete and now it wont work.

He sent it away and I got it back in about a week with a bill for $10 for shipping. Pretty good deal considering it was no ones fault but mine that it didn't work.

Price Phister faucets. I second the great service from them. I have called them personally with a small drip from my home kitchen faucet. They answer the phone (which I love!!) Their customer service people are very knowledgeable and helpful. They send out the new parts you need- no questions asked.

I've also had two of my customers call them and get the same results when I showed them problems with the faucets that were in their kitchen. One was a drip and one was some tarnishing.

It does help if you have the paperwork for the faucet right there in front of you when you call. I've never tried it with just a cold call.
When I work at someones house, I make them a small binder with all of the instructions/owners manuals in it. Along with the date of installation and where it was purchased. It helps me a lot when I go back at a later date to work on something for them. Heck, even some of these new lights, I need instructions to change a lightbulb for them.

·
8,927 Posts
Dewalt. I have plenty of Dewalt tools. One day, I bought a new van and stocked it with tools to start another crew. One of the tools was a new dewalt sawzall.

Two days later, I was up in the trusses of a building, using the new sawzall. I slipped and dropped it 35'. It landed on a concrete slab and wouldn't work.

That night, I stopped by my supplier and told my salesman (jokingly) this new sawzall is a piece of crap, all I did was drop it 35' onto concrete and now it wont work.

He sent it away and I got it back in about a week with a bill for $10 for shipping. Pretty good deal considering it was no ones fault but mine that it didn't work.
Yeah, you lucked out with Dewalt. K has a lot of their tools and they are all crap. He got a new cordless screw gun less than a year ago and now it is an expensive paperweight. It just does not work properly. In fact his busted Nikita cordless is falling apart and still works great! (K wanted a Dewalt to replace the Nikita) K ha s not dropped it or mistreated it and Dewalt told him he was SOL. Yeah, no more Dewalt tools for K.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Leatherman, stands behind their stuff, I broke the pliers on my leatherman wave, probably my fault I tried to bend a tarp strap hook, I followed the instructions on their web site, it cost me shipping to them, they replaced the tool and payed the shipping back to me.

·
Newbie (in training)
806 Posts
Yeah, you lucked out with Dewalt. K has a lot of their tools and they are all crap. He got a new cordless screw gun less than a year ago and now it is an expensive paperweight. It just does not work properly. In fact his busted Nikita cordless is falling apart and still works great! (K wanted a Dewalt to replace the Nikita) K ha s not dropped it or mistreated it and Dewalt told him he was SOL. Yeah, no more Dewalt tools for K.
Oh, I have LOTS of Dewalt tools that we use and abuse everyday. I don't remember ever having trouble with any. I can't believe they said K is sol.

When I was 18, I bought my first circular saw. Makita. I'm 52 and still buy the same model everytime I need a new one. I make a lot of precision cuts and it just fits my hand good. One of my miter boxes is a makita. It's okay. I have 6 of them, the 3 best ones are Dewalts.

·
Uber Newbie
3,154 Posts
I don't make my living with power tools, I make my hobbies with them. that being said, I've got a DeWalt screwdriver that has been working flawlessly for like... 20 years? I dread the day it dies because I will have to buy a newer cheaper made model :(

·
Cowboy
3,568 Posts
Dillon Precision.

We got one of their reloading presses. Aluminum gusset on the frame cracked. I paid to ship the entire press to them, free repair and they paid for the return shipping. The repaired press looked like a brand new one.

Few years later the left link arm broke. Gave them another call, new one on the way, no charge. I was expecting to receive one link arm, they sent a pair! So I replaced the right link arm too.

I'd guess about 15,000 rounds have been reload on it. Lifetime warranty transfers with the press so it quickly sold for about 80% of new (we upgraded to a larger Dillon when we started reloading more calibers).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts