This is pathetic

Discussion in 'International Current News & Events' started by lexsurivor, Apr 11, 2011.

1. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

2. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

That's even worse than the town in Ohio that had to rename their Easter egg hunt because they couldn't say the word 'Easter.'

You're right. Pathetic.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I shake my every morning while checking the news ...

Kids can't bring their own lunch to school ... N.C. thinking about paying kids to get good grades ... :gaah: (how are they going to pay for that?)

The list just keeps on growing ...

4. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

5. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

I'd love to see them renamed Eostre Eggs, that's awesome. The day care my wife used to work in had to call it a "Dinosaur Egg Hunt", and have Dinosaurs as the April teaching theme. Crazy.

So, how many schools still do a May Pole? My grade school did, but that's nearly twenty five years ago. How many of the ones that do know what it means? I didn't at the time.

And kids can't bring thier own lunch there *Andi? Ridiculous!! It's cheaper and healthier to make your own. What about special dietary needs and food allergies? Nutty, just nutty (no pun intended).

6. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

While I don't have problems with the religious names of some holidays, I do think it is insensitive of people who only think that bible based religions are the only ones and should take precedence..
    But yes I do think that the Politically correct thing is outta hand.
    I can see banning peanut butter if enuf students are allergic but really not letting kids bring their own food to school.. their school lunch looked like vomit on the plate that day and they were PROUD of it!

7. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

IMHO this is another way of dumbing down the younger ones. They use such backdoor tactics to do this you don't even realize your intelligence has been compromised. They want us to believe we don't have enough common sense to make our children's lunch. I am a Christian and I have never figured out what a bunny that hides eggs has to do with a religious holliday? That's like saying santa clause, a man that rides thru the air in a sleigh pulled by flying deer is a religious symbol at Christmas.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

The kids special dietary needs and food allergies can bring their lunch but the others can not ... from what I heard, but still crazy IMO.

9. Asatrur

In pre-christian days, the rabbits and eggs were symbols rebirth, fertility, and growing things again now that the hard season of Winter was over.

10. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Right. The point I would make as a Christian is that the only truly Christian symbol at Easter is Christ on the cross (just like I see the Christmas story as being Jesus and the holy family in Bethleham, and the jolly dude in a red suit flying around with reindeer has nothing to do with it ;) ). So to me the bru-ha-ha over bunnies with eggs (huh?) is silly. Bunnies with eggs do not reference Christ on the cross in any way - they are, like you said, ancient symbols of rebirth and growth, so banning them as a Christian symbol seems misplaced at best.

Regarding the school lunch thing - that's a school in Chicago (or do you know of another one, Andi?). The principal actually said that parents are unable to decide what is best, so the school must step in. Scary! :eek:

11. Asatrur

Warning potential offensive post, but not meant to be.
    I think it is because Easter has been turned into a Christian holiday despite it's Pagan roots and the bunnies and eggs have been converted also, so by default they are considered a Christian symbol despite them not being so.

I guess it goes back to Christian's trying to convert them Heathens from their evil Gods instead of just leaving them alone and part of that conversion in Northern Europe was to take known Pagan dates like Yule, Eostre, etc. and overlay them with Christian ideas in an attempt to make the conversion not so do or die. Eventually the old ways and customs were lost and replaced in whole, but now some of the old ways are resurfacing thanks the Gods. I just hope we can all live in peace again allow each to live their own way without judgments, mandates, etc.

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Chicago would be the one ... but they are a few others also, a school in Maryland and one in New York... With other schools looking into it.

Heard this morning that a city (think they said Boston) has ban soda and 'other suger drinks' from city properties ... buildings, city parks, & etc.

I wonder what the fine will be ... "Hey you ... the one with the coke! Stop or I will .."

13. MrSfstk8d

Sodas are out of schools here, but not all public places. It's judgemental, reactionary, prejudicial and inflamatory to make the blanket assumption that parents do no know what is best for their children, and that the System must make these decisions for them. It is a horrible back door tactic. I am apalled. How has the System done with education in general? Does the System work for every child? Even with G/W's "No Child Left (untaxed, erm..) Behind"? How has the System done for our elders? Their Social Security? Their MediCare? Our economy at large? I simply cannot place blind faith in the System to decide what's right for either me or my children without my input and, ultimately, veto power.

There most certainly are parents who do not know what is best for their children, nor for themselves in many of these same cases. These cases must, necessarily, be dealt with on a case by case basis, judged on each case's own merit. To paint with such a broad brush is simply wrong.

But you're absolutely right, *Andi. It does figure it would be Chicago. Ugh...

14. Asatrur

Do they server peanut butter and if so, does it have trans fat? What about HFCS and the list could go on. On the flip side, a lot of low income parents are bad at believing the school's job is to raise their kids for them.

15. MrSfstk8d

Ah, you've struck at the heart of the problem there, MN. "The world owes me a living. And the world owes my kids a good raising too!! No matter how many of them I squeeze out."

No responsibility, no culpability, no accountability. Feh!

16. lexsurivor

lexsurivor Well-Known Member

I agree that eggs have nothing to do with Easter. But its the fact that a school system tries to take anything to do with Easter out of schools. They wouldent even let her say the word Easter.

17. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

So how does this play out, will all nouns be removed from the language by 2020and thinking anywhere except the very center of the box be punishable by reprograming. :gaah:

18. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Easter is also a pagan holiday,OMG they are oppressing Wiccans!
    SOMEBODY CALL THE ACLU!!!!!

I'm not Christian,but really,this P.C crap is getting utterly retarded.
    when did we start hanging our heads and walking away?there was a happy time when such stupid crap was treated to a trip behind the barn and a painful @$$ kicking......or a rope!

Where are the people who founded this country?has selective breeding and chems in the food been THAT successful?

Thank the godz I don't have kids.

19. rhrobert

rhrobert Happy in the hills

Screw PC...I could care less. The more they try to push their agenda, the less PC I'm gonna be. They'll make a hater out of me yet.

Anyway, speaking of May Poles, my kids and grandkids still make May Day baskets and hang them on the neighbors doors on May 1st...over the years there has been many a surprised look, many memories, and many opportunities to explain to people what it is.

Anyone else still do this?

20. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

One of my favorite comedians..

“I'm the enemy because I like to think. I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy that could sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs or the side order of gravy fries? I want high cholesterol. I would eat bacon and butter and buckets of cheese. Okay? I want to smoke Cuban cigars the size of Cincinnati in the nonsmoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-O all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I might suddenly feel the need to. Okay, pal?”
    Dennis Leary

About as non PC as you can get.