Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I love chatting ... I like to talk about motorbikes, Jeeps and camping ...

What do you like to chat about?

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will talk about anything....books, hunting, gardening, the challenges of being a single prepper....

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Books .. I can handle that one.

Beyond writing my own story (don't know if you read it) I used to read a book-or-two per week, over a hundred books a year. I enjoy reading western-books, sci-fi, sci-fact, sci-past and alternate realities. Most of the time, I will read the book instead of watching the movie - I was so disappointed with Lord-of-the-rings movies - some of my favorite characters didn't make the cut to the movie and they really screwed up book-two when they tried to make it into the movie .. they missed just about everything! :gaah:

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished Lights Out by David Crawford. I especially liked it because it was set in Texas and I absolutely loved the end. Did you read it? One of my favorites is Food in History by Reay Tannahill. I re-read it every 5 years or so.

Like you, I am a reader. I only read one book per week at this point because summers are busy. I have not seen the Lord-of-the movies because I don't have a tv, but I loved the books.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Right now I have the fourth book in the Eragon series to read - it is sitting in my library waiting for me to pickup and read. With all the outside stuff that I am trying to get caught-up-on (winter comes quick around here), I am in a rush to get it all taken care of.

I am also having some issues with rain, thunderstorms (and the related power-outtages) and tornados this year - lots of crazy weather. My garden is doing well for my first year here in this house, raspberries and strawberries have been delicious, I haven't seen any flowers (or berries) on my Saskatoon plants, tomatoes are coming along well, getting larger, but, still green. Spinach might be ready to eat in a couple of weeks, my peas-n-beans failed, my onions and potatoes are going well, my squash looks like it is going to be a fail this year ... Its a good thing that I don't have to rely on my garden for food (yet) as it will take a few good years of turning and tuning the soil before it will really produce.

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should not be having problems with power outages! You're a prepper. It just be just a bump in the road. LOL

We've not had any rain. This is our second year of severe drought. It is amazing how many trees have died. My garden is struggling even with me watering it. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with a fall garden.

Machinist posted a survivalist novel on this site. I read that this week.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
You should not be having problems with power outages! You're a prepper. It just be just a bump in the road. LOL

We've not had any rain. This is our second year of severe drought. It is amazing how many trees have died. My garden is struggling even with me watering it. I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with a fall garden.

Machinist posted a survivalist novel on this site. I read that this week.
My problems with the power-outtages are due to the fact that I don't have enough UPS systems in place yet. My computers are all protected and my stereo is also protected - I have automatic emergency lighting through-out my house and I have solar-powered "garden" lights in my kitchen. But, if the power is out long enough, I cannot go into my garage and work on projects - I do plan on putting in a UPS-based system into my garage to run the lights, garage-door-opener and small tools and make the UPS-system charge off of solar as well as grid-power (to start).

Its all time-n-money for me right now - and I don't have much of either at this point in the game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts