Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
713 Posts
jsriley5 said:
I don't have a big buddy but have a regular one. extrapolating up and adding the nifty idea of a battery operated circulating fan I think a big buddy or two would be about the best thing going for a portable heat source. And the safety factor is a big deal with them as well as they have a truly working low oxygen/carbon monoxide cut off. I have and sue some of the much cheaper heater heads that hook on a propane tank but I rarely reccomend them to folks I dont know simply because they lack a safety feature. The lil buddy rocks the big buddy should rock twice as much or more.
I have the smaller Buddy heater and it seems every time I use it for an extended period, I end up with a headache. Not sure if the CO sensor is working correctly

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the smaller Buddy heater and it seems every time I use it for an extended period, I end up with a headache. Not sure if the CO sensor is working correctly
I'd test the heater with a working CO detector before using it again to make sure. Otherwise, it's likely that you have a sensitivity to burning propane (not CO related) which apparently some people have. This amazon reviewer describes headache symptoms here- http://www.amazon.com/review/R22VX17S8ROKYN/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R22VX17S8ROKYN

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I've had my little buddy heater for…. ohh... a good 5 years or more. I use it on fishing trips when I camp in Unit 1, my one seater '94 modified XJ. You do need a fan and I use one of those portable hand fans you are supposed to use to cool yourself. In that small of a space you can't have it on for long, even if it is cold out.

Never used it inside but would agree that it most likely would do at least 200 sq.ft, depending on drafts and outside temp. Again, rig up some sort of battery operated fan to help distribute the heat.

I've never had a reliability issue [knocks on wood] and it is not babied. It is in a non-padded compartment inside the jeep and has always worked when needed.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Not sure if this means that tanks can remain hooked up when the heaters off with this hose though.
The beauty of using a larger tank is that there is a valve right on top, to shut gas off when not using. You don't need to disconnect anything.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
In that small of a space you can't have it on for long, even if it is cold out.
In that small of a space, you could have gotten away with a good sleeping bag all by itself. If a little more heat is needed, take an old coffee can (or two) and punch some air holes in the rim on the bottom, paint it flat black and set it over a burning candle.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Cabela's has a couple different models of the Mr. Heater on sale right now in the bargain cave.

Reconditioned units (but the reviews are still very high) but they're about 1/2 price.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
thnx for th eheads up might have to splurge a little before payday

·
Good Old Boy
351 Posts
We have two of them. The regular size Mr. Buddy, and the Little Buddy. Both work really well, and we use ours quite often in the winter. For instance the electric heater is out in our bathroom, so instead of replacing the in-ceiling heater, we use Mr. Buddy, and Mr. Buddy does a much better job that the electric one ever did. I also have one I use at my work bench in the shop. Won't heat the whole shop, but keeps me toasty enough to stay.

Two opposable thumbs up for Mr. Buddy heaters. Can't go wrong with them.

·
833 Posts
we had a power outage during the winter storm of 5 or 6 weeks ago.i was prepared some what for that.i bought a my buddy heater 4,000/9,000 BTU. Now im waiting for the next winter freeze, and/or power power outage during a power outage.eventuly i'll buy a 20LB propane tank,with a line and filter for it..

21 - 29 of 29 Posts