1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Track Layer
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
timmie
1,015 Posts
yes.we have one.webought it a couple of years ago to take camping. it keeps our tent nice and warm,and hubby takes it hunting. great buy.

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
it has been out for many years and it works fine.

·
Track Layer
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, I m goimg to get for a back up in case the power goes off this winter. I should be able to keep at least one room warm with it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Do what I do, open the box and see if it's all there. :) I like mine we used it to thaw the pipes in the utility room when they froze.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Buy the 8 foot hose kit so you can use a 20 lb grill bottle. The little spin-on bottles are good for the weekend camping trip, but don't last very long trying to keep part of the house warm.

Always use a filter, too - these Mr Heaters quit working if any tiny little piece of crud gets into the fuel system.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I"ll add when using a hose with the big bottle be sure to remember to let pressure off that hose whenever you aren't runing the heater. I have a heater that is currently non functioning because the oil that weeps from the hose will migrate to the regulator and ruin it. At least I think it's ruined if I could get it apart I"m not sure I"d trust it when I put it back together. And attempts at cleaning the oil out by various methods have failed. Loved it till I messed it up by leaving it pressurized long term and then moving them letting the oil get to the regulator. I intend to replace it possibly with the larger version as soon as money allows. It's the best heater I have yet located with a (reviewer reported) properly working Carbon Monoxide shut off feature. Have to get the filter Linc Tex mentioned might have been my savior if I"d been using one.

·
Registered
227 Posts
First experience I had with one was way back in 2002. Went elk hunting with DH and a buddy of his at about 10,000 feet. We didn't have Mr Buddy but the other hunter did, and the sensor wouldn't let the thing kick on because of the elevation. Ours was rated for higher elevation than the Mr Buddy so I stayed nice and warm in the tent at night. Not sure if they have updated that feature over the last 10 years but something to look into. I'll never go camping in the back country with out a heater again, I've done got spoiled =)

·
Track Layer
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it dosent come with a filter, or are you just saying to make sure i always use one?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Mine (bout 5 years ago) didn't come with a separate or changeable filter and definitely not the one shown above, nor did it come with a extension hose for using a larger tank. pretty sure that filter shown screws into the spot for the lil propane bottles and is specifically for use with the hose and a bigger tank. if you never intended to use anything but the lil bitty short life bottles you'd not need the filter.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Mine (bout 5 years ago) didn't come with a separate or changeable filter and definitely not the one shown above, nor did it come with a extension hose for using a larger tank. pretty sure that filter shown screws into the spot for the lil propane bottles and is specifically for use with the hose and a bigger tank. if you never intended to use anything but the lil bitty short life bottles you'd not need the filter.
Yes, all correct.
However, the little "short life" bottles get expensive quickly. I have an adapter to refill the smaller bottle from a larger 20lb grill tank, but the stinkin' seals in the small bottle are crap (they leak when unscrewed) :mad:

So, I use the hose and run off a 20 lb bottle on just about everything... with a filter added after the hose and before the appliance.

·
Track Layer
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info, this was exactly the kind of stuff i wanting to know about.

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts
I heat my cabin with it entirely, and will until the doldrums of winter when I'll use wood.. Works reliably. No, it does not come with a filter or long line, you have to buy those.

·
Track Layer
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it two days ago. Im going to test it out tomarrow afternoon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought the big buddy for a backup heat source. It runs off one or two of the little tanks. But I'd recommend the hose to attach to a 20 lb and a filter. You could maybe use a 100 lb tank with a regulator. Mine seems to run fine and puts of a tremendous amount of heat for its size. Has a built in optional fan that runs on batteries or ac power. I think it puts out up to 18000 btu's.

·
Prepared ********
3 Posts
So is the big buddy worth it? We are thinking about getting one or two. Our home is all electric & we live in an area that can receive big snow storms. We have a large generator that will run house but not the two heating units at same time. Looking for something to work with our fireplace.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't have a big buddy but have a regular one. extrapolating up and adding the nifty idea of a battery operated circulating fan I think a big buddy or two would be about the best thing going for a portable heat source. And the safety factor is a big deal with them as well as they have a truly working low oxygen/carbon monoxide cut off. I have and sue some of the much cheaper heater heads that hook on a propane tank but I rarely reccomend them to folks I dont know simply because they lack a safety feature. The lil buddy rocks the big buddy should rock twice as much or more.

·
BORN PESSIMIST; we are doomed
1,284 Posts
We just bought the small one, that uses the 1 lb disposable tanks, for use with our campter at the BOL. Used it this weekend, it got nice & toasty altho we do need a fan to circulate. We were thinking about hooking it up to the 20 lb tanks, didn't know about the filter. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been very happy with the one we own as well. They say the filters purpose is needed to protect the heater from oil leaching from the standard hose and fowling the internal lines and venturi tube.

I want to point out that Mr Heater does offer an oil-free hose that doesn't require the filter, and it mentions this in the manual. Not sure if this means that tanks can remain hooked up when the heaters off with this hose though.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F273704-Plasticizer-Free-Portable/dp/B001CFWF5U

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
cool thats new news for sure as there was only the one hose offered when I bought mine. Still need to get it in for repairs due to not havng the filter and still wanna big buddy as well

1 - 20 of 29 Posts