Think Outside the Box...Share this NM Land with Us!

Discussion in 'General Homesteading & Building' started by horology, May 4, 2011.

1. horology

horology Active Member

This picture is the view out our front door. We're already living the off-grid, survivalist lifestyle. It's a wonderful way to live, regardless of what changes in the world and what doesn't. And there's room for others.

We're forming a peaceful survivalist community. Find out how to join us.
    Visit Place of Refuge 2012 - A Survival Community

Peace,
    Sheila

Attached Files:

2. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

I lived in NM back in the 80's for about 10 years.
    I was raised in MN and came back.
    But the high mtn's there in NM are awesome! I love the people, the food, the fact you can travel a couple hundreds miles in any direction and see something totally different. lol
    you guys must be near the taos/questa area??
    nice

3. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

Looks like some beautiful soil. Rich enough to grow anything.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

are those the Mogollan Mts?

5. horology

horology Active Member

No there.

No they are they Sawtooth Mountains on the continental divide
    north of Pie Town

Dan

6. horology

horology Active Member

In my

Im my world view there is no other job more important than being the most important thing in world to you kids and husband.

I have the love of my life (sheila) who is my everything and I'm her's

Dan

7. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Fixed it for you.

8. horology

horology Active Member

9. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Looked at your website. Wondered about this on your list:
    "Very sparsely populated area
    Lots of like-minded people"

:D Is it "sparsely populated" yet has "lots" of people? lol

The soil looks like typical high-desert clay, except for the garden picture. Nice thing is you probably don't have a lot of rocks to contend with. What did you do to build up the soil? Looks like you did a great job on that.

7,000' elevation, how does that affect the growing season? Maybe the southerly winds keep it warm enough?

It looks like a place where a person would feel good to be alive. Best wishes with your plan. :)

10. horology

horology Active Member

Thanks for your good wishes!

Peace,
    Dan
    placeofrefuge dot com

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

New Mexico, the one state that I would move to ... but me in a survivalist community. :eek: I don't think I would would fit in. ;)

But ... the best to you and yours. (and your community) :flower:

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yes, I knew exactly what you meant, horology, about sparsley populated and lots of like-minded people! That's what it's like here. The few people that are spread through these woods are almost all like us.

That's not a garden in the picture? ...? Wow, it looked like some big growing space, and the soil looked improved. Most of my experience down there is the non-fertile claylike high desert soil, and it seemed like while it was easy to improve the soil, it did take work.

New Mexico is a great state and like andi, it's one I would move to. But also like andi, me in a community of any kind? Well, okay, other than this forum! lol I'm such a hermit! You social people out there looking for a place to move to, such as out of the city, should contact horology and find out more. It looks like a great opportunity.

13. horology

horology Active Member

New Mexico

Thanks for the kind words, where is your lair? The Soil gets improved by the presents that the traveling bovines and o vines leave behind.

Thanks again
    Sheila & Dan. ?

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We're in NW Montana, between Glacier National Park and Idaho, almost close enough to Canada to see it, if I stand on my tiptoes on the roof of the house! :D

Our soil here is pine-needle duff on the top several inches and rocky clay underneath. We had to remove the top surface, dig out rocks, and put literally tons of composted manure and hay on it. We worked it for a year before we ever planted anything.

In my wanderings I've covered most parts of New Mexico, and every now and then when we think we might like to move to a warmer climate, we start searching around for places that meet our criteria. New Mexico is always in the top 5. I think New Mexico has the most variety of everything, including types of climate throughout the state! Some people think New Mexico is just a desert state, but it has lush, forested mountains too. It's also a good place for solar and/or wind power.

15. horology

horology Active Member

Perhaps I should explain a bit more about our "community". We don't sit around the campfire, singing Kumbiya :D. Everyone here is autonomous, but like-minded and willing to help when the need arises -- or not, their choice. I've heard that many communities require that you follow their thinking, or way of life. We just know that it's going to take more than one family to make it through when TSHTF.

Peace,
    Dan & Sheila
    placeofrefuge2012.com

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  16. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

17. horology

horology Active Member

Thanks

Thanks for the kudos, yes it is our website

Sheila

18. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

Nice plans.If we did'nt already own our land and worked it for 14 yr.s it would be a good place to go.

I think a commune is a great idea.Long as the feds don't mind.I wish we could find someone to help us.

19. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I know from experience that registering your property as a 'bird sanctuary' is comparitively easy in FL & allows many tax benefits while allowing the freedom to do many things (like allow plant life to get 'overgrown' or have more than normal rainwater cisterns) with your property that are usually against normal local ordnances

20. horology

horology Active Member

Thanks, but we are not a commune, we are people who live in the same area who are completely autonomous.

Dan
    Place of Refuge 2012 - A Survival Community