Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This picture is the view out our front door. We're already living the off-grid, survivalist lifestyle. It's a wonderful way to live, regardless of what changes in the world and what doesn't. And there's room for others.

We're forming a peaceful survivalist community. Find out how to join us.
Visit Place of Refuge 2012 - A Survival Community

Peace,
Sheila

Attachments

·
Supporting Member
752 Posts
I lived in NM back in the 80's for about 10 years.
I was raised in MN and came back.
But the high mtn's there in NM are awesome! I love the people, the food, the fact you can travel a couple hundreds miles in any direction and see something totally different. lol
you guys must be near the taos/questa area??
nice

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No there.

No they are they Sawtooth Mountains on the continental divide
north of Pie Town

Dan

I lived in NM back in the 80's for about 10 years.
I was raised in MN and came back.
But the high mtn's there in NM are awesome! I love the people, the food, the fact you can travel a couple hundreds miles in any direction and see something totally different. lol
you guys must be near the taos/questa area??
nice

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my

Im my world view there is no other job more important than being the most important thing in world to you kids and husband.

I have the love of my life (sheila) who is my everything and I'm her's

Dan

Looks like some beautiful soil. Rich enough to grow anything.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Im my world view there is no other job more important than being the most important thing in world to you kids and husband, and making sure the family is safe, fed, clothed and housed.
Fixed it for you.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Looked at your website. Wondered about this on your list:
"Very sparsely populated area
Lots of like-minded people"

:D Is it "sparsely populated" yet has "lots" of people? lol

The soil looks like typical high-desert clay, except for the garden picture. Nice thing is you probably don't have a lot of rocks to contend with. What did you do to build up the soil? Looks like you did a great job on that.

7,000' elevation, how does that affect the growing season? Maybe the southerly winds keep it warm enough?

It looks like a place where a person would feel good to be alive. Best wishes with your plan. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked at your website. Wondered about this on your list:
"Very sparsely populated area
Lots of like-minded people"

:D Is it "sparsely populated" yet has "lots" of people? lol Gee, if I must explain that, the people who ARE here are here because they "get" what's going on. :)

The soil looks like typical high-desert clay, except for the garden picture. That's not a garden, that's what the whole area looks like after "monsoon" season Nice thing is you probably don't have a lot of rocks to contend with. What did you do to build up the soil? Looks like you did a great job on that.

7,000' elevation, how does that affect the growing season? Maybe the southerly winds keep it warm enough? Gardening is best done here in a greenhouse. Protects it from too much sun, and wildlife.

It looks like a place where a person would feel good to be alive. That's a great way to put it. I always ask people who visit, "even if nothing happened to change the world, wouldn't you want to live here anyway???? Best wishes with your plan. :)
Thanks for your good wishes!

Peace,
Dan
placeofrefuge dot com

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
New Mexico, the one state that I would move to ... but me in a survivalist community. :eek: I don't think I would would fit in. ;)

But ... the best to you and yours. (and your community) :flower:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yes, I knew exactly what you meant, horology, about sparsley populated and lots of like-minded people! That's what it's like here. The few people that are spread through these woods are almost all like us.

That's not a garden in the picture? ...? Wow, it looked like some big growing space, and the soil looked improved. Most of my experience down there is the non-fertile claylike high desert soil, and it seemed like while it was easy to improve the soil, it did take work.

New Mexico is a great state and like andi, it's one I would move to. But also like andi, me in a community of any kind? Well, okay, other than this forum! lol I'm such a hermit! You social people out there looking for a place to move to, such as out of the city, should contact horology and find out more. It looks like a great opportunity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New Mexico

Yes, I knew exactly what you meant, horology, about sparsley populated and lots of like-minded people! That's what it's like here. The few people that are spread through these woods are almost all like us.

That's not a garden in the picture? ...? Wow, it looked like some big growing space, and the soil looked improved. Most of my experience down there is the non-fertile claylike high desert soil, and it seemed like while it was easy to improve the soil, it did take work.

New Mexico is a great state and like andi, it's one I would move to. But also like andi, me in a community of any kind? Well, okay, other than this forum! lol I'm such a hermit! You social people out there looking for a place to move to, such as out of the city, should contact horology and find out more. It looks like a great opportunity.
Thanks for the kind words, where is your lair? The Soil gets improved by the presents that the traveling bovines and o vines leave behind.

Thanks again
Sheila & Dan. ?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, where is your lair? The Soil gets improved by the presents that the traveling bovines and o vines leave behind.

Thanks again
Sheila & Dan. ?
We're in NW Montana, between Glacier National Park and Idaho, almost close enough to Canada to see it, if I stand on my tiptoes on the roof of the house! :D

Our soil here is pine-needle duff on the top several inches and rocky clay underneath. We had to remove the top surface, dig out rocks, and put literally tons of composted manure and hay on it. We worked it for a year before we ever planted anything.

In my wanderings I've covered most parts of New Mexico, and every now and then when we think we might like to move to a warmer climate, we start searching around for places that meet our criteria. New Mexico is always in the top 5. I think New Mexico has the most variety of everything, including types of climate throughout the state! Some people think New Mexico is just a desert state, but it has lush, forested mountains too. It's also a good place for solar and/or wind power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Perhaps I should explain a bit more about our "community". We don't sit around the campfire, singing Kumbiya :D. Everyone here is autonomous, but like-minded and willing to help when the need arises -- or not, their choice. I've heard that many communities require that you follow their thinking, or way of life. We just know that it's going to take more than one family to make it through when TSHTF.

Peace,
Dan & Sheila
placeofrefuge2012.com

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Nice plans.If we did'nt already own our land and worked it for 14 yr.s it would be a good place to go.

I think a commune is a great idea.Long as the feds don't mind.I wish we could find someone to help us.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Nice plans.If we did'nt already own our land and worked it for 14 yr.s it would be a good place to go.

I think a commune is a great idea.Long as the feds don't mind.I wish we could find someone to help us.
I know from experience that registering your property as a 'bird sanctuary' is comparitively easy in FL & allows many tax benefits while allowing the freedom to do many things (like allow plant life to get 'overgrown' or have more than normal rainwater cisterns) with your property that are usually against normal local ordnances

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thanks, but we are not a commune, we are people who live in the same area who are completely autonomous.

Dan
Place of Refuge 2012 - A Survival Community

1 - 20 of 23 Posts