Things just getting bad around here

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by TNmedicman, Apr 6, 2011.

1. TNmedicman

TNmedicman NREMT-P

This past Saturday one of my Police officers was killed in the LOD by a scum bag robbing a pawn shop. This is just another example of how society has deteriorated. I know before anyone says it Its his job to be out there and to take the risk but this is ridiculous. I as a Medic work with these officers day in and day out and see what they deal with on a daily basis.

The guy that shot him is a career criminal with a history of armed robbery and theft. He was raised in the system. I mean by that that his mother never worked and had no father in his life. He lived his whole life on welfare and public assistance. This is what the society of entitlements has produced. Please people if you know a first responder or not, thank them. The police might make you mad by giving you tickets but the are doing there job and it is a thankless low paying job. I will come down off of my :soapbox1: now.

Services Announced for Sgt. Tim Chapin | chapin, sgt, tim - WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

I ask if you believe in a higher being to say a prayer for this mans family. He had a wife and two children that miss him very much. :rantoff:

2. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

TN, very sorry to hear about your friend. Gosh. The sorrow his family will feel for the rest of their lives. Damned shame.

While I certainly don't excuse the scum bag that killed him, you are right -- America adopted a system foisted on us by LBJ and his lib buddies on the hill. His "Great Society", ending poverty in our time has turned us into a nation of beggars; and we ain't seen nothing yet.

3. Cahri

Cahri Well-Known Member

Kudos, my prayers, love and wisdom, always and will plant another seed that will feed another brave soul who is worthier than myself (I'm just a gardener).

4. TrackerRat

TrackerRat Well-Known Member

Thats horrible. Yes they accept the risk but that doesnt mean it makes it okay or they should have planned for it. There have been alot of officers shot and killed lately throughout this country. Cops do what they do because they truly want to help people. As their career progresses society molds them from soft hearted to solid rock and they can lose track of their purpose. People dont understand that these are the reasons cops can act the way they do. His fellow officers now have to greave his death. They will become less and less tolerant of society and become thick walled so their family and friends dont have to deal with their untimely death. They see a different world from that of Joe Plumber.

5. BillM

BillM BillM

Sheep and Wolves

The world is made up of Sheep and Wolves. When I was sworn in the first time as a deputy Sheriff, my training officer gave me this peice of advise.

A peace officers job is to stand between the Sheep and the wolves. You can't be a Sheep and do the job but you can't be a wolf either! A good cop is a guard dog. He will jeliouslly defend the Sheep but to do so he must be in charge. That requires nipping and barking at them to steer them away from danger. The wolf , he catches by the throat when ever he can !

Rest in Peace Brother !

6. TNmedicman

TNmedicman NREMT-P

Thanks for the comments. Everyone please keep the family in your thought and prayers as we lay him to rest today.

7. Ponce

Ponce Well-Known Member

WTSHTF those in uniform will be my greatest fear because I won't know which one really care for you and which ones, under the color of uniform, are only on the lookout for things that they can take for their own family.

I live isolated and away from everyone and have only one rule......good or bad, just stay the hell away from me.

8. BillM

BillM BillM

When

When the police are out of commision and the local sheriffs deputys and the state police are no longer patroling, LOOK OUT!

With them will go the last of civilized sociaty and law.

You don't have to fear them, fear what comes when they are gone !

9. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I'm aware of the amount of police officers killed in the line of duty this year. It is rather alarming. I hope it does not get worse as the year(s) goes by.

I admit it does make me nervous (being a cadet with no field training yet) but with the constant, updated training and my learned awareness of my surroundings, I feel my chance of going home to my family at the end of the day is high...but of course, not guaranteed. That's what I get for picking this line of work! Keeping a level head is key and training and experience can only get me so far. Sometimes pure luck is all you have. :(:dunno:

Rest in Peace Brother. Thank you for your service.

10. BillM

BillM BillM

Cadet

Do you know the most important thing an officer must know when he is on patrol?

11. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Hope there is no wrong answer here! I could talk to you FOREVER about the job. I do enjoy learning from experienced officers. :D

I didn't know there was just one "most important thing" to an officer. Officer safety is #1 along with having common sense and discipline. And know that ANYONE can kill you. Always be aware. Even Grandma can and will kill you if she had the opportunity.

Hope I'm not missing anything. :O I bet you I'm missing the most important thing! Lol! I am super tired. :p

12. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

My heart goes out to his family. May God keep them in His tender loving hands.

13. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

BillM, lots of folks in New Orleans would disagree. As a civilian, I at least have a fair chance in dealing with a bad guy who is also a civilian -- I'm almost certainly screwed trying to deal with a bad cop. If he doesn't get me, the justice system will, because he's a cop.

Lots of good cops out there, but there are unfortunately, lots of arrogant, elitist Barneys-with-an-attitude types also. For example, here in PA, just watch how State Troopers drive. More often than not, they drive like hotshot teenagers. I'd get lots of tickets if I drove like them. They should be setting an example instead of flouting their obvious immunity. And check out some bars where they congregate. Can you say DUI? But actually getting charged is extremely rare. The cop fraternity.:mad:

From what you've said, your friend who was killed was a great LEO and family man, and his death is truly a tragedy, But collectively, the LEO community badly needs to clean up their act.

14. aluminum

aluminum Member

I agree with you horseman09.... There are WAY too many examples of "bad apples" in the police/cop career field these days. If the so-called good cops actually existed, they would arrest and testify against those "bad apples". By remaining silent/doing nothing, they are 100% just as guilty as the "bad ones".

I know that there are actually good ones out there.... dont flame me people.... I also dont wish death on anyone, bad or good..... Prayer sent for the family of this officer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  15. BillM

BillM BillM

The most important thing

Always know your 1020 !

My first training officer would be patroling and explaining various police proceedures to me and would suddenly ask, "What's our 1020"?

If I couldn't tell him the exact 1020, he would ask , "if you had to call for backup or an ambulance, where would you tell them to come ?" :cool:

16. BillM

BillM BillM

The Bad Cop

I was a Deputy Sheriff and served in two administrations under two different Sheriffs.

I worked with city , state and federal law enforcement officers.

They ran the gambit from excellent to poor in their job performance, just like any other occupation.

The majority were average . A few were excellent , and very few were poor at the job.

The ones who were poor did not last very long. They were not tolerated by the rest of the officers. No one wanted to work with them. they would get you hurt or killed. They would get you into a law suit or embarrass you in front of the public.

The job just doesn’t leave room for marginal or poor performance.

An officer walks a very narrow line between making a good legal arrest and a tactical mistake that could get him killed.

When I stopped a vehicle, I didn't know who they were but they knew exactly who I was. That automatically put me at a disadvantage.

I did not have unlimited authority. I had to have probable cause justifying every decision I made. Legally that is the way it should be. The citizen gets the advantage of the presumption of innocence. He has rights and the officer must respect them.

I always opted to give the citizen the benefit of a doubt if the violation was borderline. If he is a criminal, he will do it again and I will get him the next time. I never wrote a citation that did not result in a guilty plea or a conviction. Many were plea bargained down but nobody was found to be not guilty .

An officer must be able to make an instant decision and act on it.
    He does not have the luxury of extended contemplation.

He is frightened in situations that are potentially dangerous just like anyone else but doesn't have the choice of walking away.

He can not show fear. No one else is coming .

He is taught in his training that it takes a minium of three officers to clear a house. Many times he will do it alone because backup is not available.

Even though he may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, he has to suck it up and do it anyway. He at least should get credit for that!

In a shootout, he must consider things like background, not just the background behind the bad guy but the background behind his self.

I knew one officer who got shot moving from cover to a point of concealment just because the background immediately behind him was an elementary school.

He wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but on that day he shined !

17. dc300a

dc300a Active Member

Absolutely. Contrary to popular belief, bad apples do not last long. Some officers are just poor officers and sometimes it takes longer to get rid of them through attrition and poor performance evaluations.

But the ones that are malicious or "bad" cops do not last long because nobody will work with them and eventually they get caught and fired quickly and charged if there was a crime commited.

Its a preconcieved notion that we all cover for each other...

My prayers go out for the officer and his family.. Stay safe out there folks!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  18. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Ahh yes, ten codes are something I'm going to need to memorize. PA seems to be moving away from the ten codes but there are some universals.

19. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Absolutely. BillM, you nailed it.

From what I've seen, the "bad apples" turn bad pretty quickly and get drummed out pretty quickly, too. I would say within 6 months to a year out of training is as long as they last. Now, some might say that they could do a lot of damage within that period, but most captains see who is not working out and limit them to posts/shifts where they will not have an opportunity to bring down the department.

Now, we're not perfect. But most of us realize that we have a standard to uphold and are careful not to dishonor the badge or the job.

My heart, thoughts, and prayers go out to your friend. Just because we are willing to put our lives on the line, doesn't mean that chip should ever be cashed in.

20. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Everyone is supposed to be going away from ten codes, but some departments are clinging to them as long as they can, mine being one of them. We had to work with a military department a few weeks ago, and it wasn't pretty.