The tortoise vs. the hare

Discussion in 'Nutrition' started by Kitabrun, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Kitabrun

Kitabrun Member

My hubby and I are overweight and eat terribly. We want to change for good so we have chosen to go gluten-free and dairy-free. It's a huge lifestyle change for us and we've tried it before, unsuccessfully.

We have a program, recipes, and an online support group but it's very difficult for us to stick with it. Last time we did it, we both lost weight and felt better, but we backslid into our old habits. Partly because of an injury, but I think we both hated being so limited. We looked at it as a diet instead of a lifestyle.

This time, I'm not doing a diet. I'm making choices for my health. I see it differently. I feel that it's ok to do this slowly, switching a few things at a time. It's better to have black bean soup instead of macaroni and cheese. I feel that I'm more likely to stick with it if I make it a slow transition instead of jumping in.

My hubby, on the other hand wants to jump in. He feels that having a choice makes it more difficult to choose wisely. He feels that the transition period is too much of a temptation to fall back into old habits. He's not a fan of soup, or vegetables or trying mock foods (cauliflower mashed "potatoes"). He wants to "just deal" with it, but I know him. He'll get cranky. He will lose his determination, feel depraved and "quit".

And while I love him and wish to see him succeed, his success isn't necessarily my concern. The problem we have is that it's a family affair. We can't afford to do this separately. And even if we could, God love him, but he couldn't cook an egg for the life of him. :gaah:

So we are stuck arguing over what's acceptable and what's not. It makes it very difficult for me to do the meal planning and subsequently, the food shopping. We've had at length conversations about it and they just leaves us both frustrated. I can't seem to find that happy medium between jumping in and taking the slow road so I need some advice. :surrender:

2. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Why are you on a gluten free & dairy free diet? Does someone have allergies?

3. crabapple

crabapple I sold my soul to the internet

I eat what I want & work out.
    Both in a hands on garden,orchard & with gym membership, no I do not go as often as some people do.
    I love veggies fresh from the garden, washed & uncooked, that helps a lot.
    Yes I am a meat eater, 5'11" & about 235 pound.
    I do not smoke or drink beer, so that helps a lot.
    This may not help, but it is what I do.

4. cowboyhermit

cowboyhermit Supporting Member

That's a tough one, we are all so different.

I will leave aside the fact that the foods you mentioned avoiding like dairy, potatoes, etc, are some of the best things one can eat for overall health and well being. I will just say this; reconsider what you think are "healthy" foods, look into actual research about particular foods and/or look to healthful traditional "diets" (Weston A. Price is a start).

That aside, my advice would be to figure out what you actually WANT to be eating, instead of focusing so much on what you don't want. It sounds like your husband is the picky one in the situation so figure out what healthful things he is willing to eat, that you also enjoy (again, reconsider what you consider healthy). For many people, simply thinking in a more positive way ie for me; (more oats, more dairy, more fermented foods, etc) is much more conducive to long term healthy living than a deprivation mindset.

5. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

Dr. Joel Fuhrman

One weekend I found a video on PBS of Dr. Joel Fuhrman. His work is about being healthier, micronutrients, super foods, simple foods, natural foods and eating well. There are several videos by him and with him that tell you what to eat. I have not watched them all, but I have really changed up my eating since watching him.

He has many recommendations. One of his recommendations is to make a large salad one of your meals each day. I love salads and this is easy for me. I take a large bowl and make a salad almost everyday.

He also recommends eating a large bowl of green veggies each day: broccoli, asparagus, green beans, spinach or other green vegetable. I do this almost everyday as well.

He recommends 3 fruits a day, one of them being berries.

In his piece about micro-nutrients, he uses an acronym: B.O.M.B.S. Beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, seeds.

What I know is that the real struggle to stop eating junk is about 3 days. The cravings really go away if you eliminate carbs and sugars for 3 days, in my experience. Once you get past that, it is much easier. I love junk food: cookies, cakes, chips, candies. I am very addicted to this garbage. Part of my New Year's goals was to change up my eating, quitting gluten, sugar and most dairy.

So far so good. This is part one of one series of his videos.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruyZOzpvnI&list=PLIaHCewvwlcmCWUkmkJVxyRoLIxSEN-tv&index=6[/ame]