The Survival Doctor

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by TheSurvivalDoctor, Mar 30, 2012.

1. TheSurvivalDoctor

TheSurvivalDoctor Well-Known Member

I'm an M.D. with a mission to educate anyone who wants to know ways to survive medical problems when no doctor is available. My website is

http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/

No guarantees. Information is for educational purposes. Always get your personal doctor's advice and use this info only as a last resort, when you can't contact a medical expert.

I welcome questions, comments, critiques. If you have questions you'd like me to address on posts. Please let me know. In fact, my last two posts on poisonous snake bites was an answer to a question from a reader.

2. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I watched a couple of your videos and read a few articles. You seem legitimate. Thank you for sharing your site, Sir.

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member

Welcome, doc. You are getting around, aren't you! LOL. Good deal for all. Maybe scroll down a bit on this forum and give us some "advice" on storing antibiotics - long term. That is an important questions for many of us "preppers."

4. Padre

Padre The Black Pilgrim

Goat lady beat me to it, although as an MD and not a pharmacist you may not have a definitive answer. I have a wide spectrum of antibiotics and am storing it in a dark cool corner of my closet. But I haven't found any clear instructions on where to store them. I get them every year when I go overseas and as my supply is limited I really don't want them to go bad.

5. TheSurvivalDoctor

Padre, You're right that's not my expertise but, I think what you're doing is correct. Store them in a cool, dry place, ie the bathroom cabinet is not ideal. I would never tell anyone to use expired meds in a normal situation. But, in disasters, I think antibiotics that are not crumbling are fine. Liquids are a less stable. If they've changed colors or are crystallizing, it's been too long.

It's best to get them in the original packaging, and it's best they don't through big changes in temps. If you're going to freeze them, keep them frozen. But, for me, I'd keep them cool warm and dry and be surprised if they don't last close to four or five years that way.

Goatlady, I'll look at the other forum.

6. recon-1

recon-1 Member

Good to see you here.Great info on your site.

7. lovetogrow

lovetogrow Member

Welcome SDoc - I enjoyed your site - very helpful, and great to have you here :2thumb:

8. TheSurvivalDoctor

Thanks, Recon-q and lovetogrow.

9. Padre

Padre The Black Pilgrim

Thanks for the response Doc, and welcome to the forum.

10. Padre

Padre The Black Pilgrim

Doc, can I ask you another question? DO you know anything about Bariatric Surgery? Gastric Bypass. Long term, if you survive the surgery, does it put you in a really precarious position vis-a-vie SHTF?

I have been thinking about it because I could really afford to loose 100 lbs, and my lifestyle doesn't make it easy, but I am completely healthy now BP, Sugar, Cholesterol, etc. , and while my GP is pressuring me to loose the weight, and I would really love to do so, I worry that my very good metabolism, which I am sure is well adapted to the many famines my ancestors endured, while a burden now, may be something I miss in the future if I mechanically disable it with a Roux-en-Y procedure.

I haven't been able to think of a discrete way to ask my doc this question...:eek:

11. TheSurvivalDoctor

Padre, I've written two responses and neither have been approved by the moderator. They may be too long. So let me make it short.

Talk to your doctor. That's one of the reasons he's there. If he can't answer your questions, talk to a bariatric surgeon. Get referrals from your doctor and people who've use one they recommend. There's no dumb questions, or any that should insult either doctor. (unless it's something like, why are you such a quack?) If you don't understand the answers, ask them to repeat without the doctorspeak.

There are many good websites to help. One is www.mayoclinic.com Search Gastric bypass surgery: who is it for

12. TheSurvivalDoctor

13. recon-1

recon-1 Member

Good stuff Doc.

14. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I guess I know what your position on dehydrating raw eggs at home would be but I will ask anyway.

From a medical perspective, if you sterilize all utensils, wash the eggs in a bleach solution prior to cracking and can get them dried in 2 hours or less would that, from your experience/perspective be adequate to keep them safe.

Getting an opinion on this from an MD is a rare opportunity.

15. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the bacteria is inside the shell, in the egg material itself, so washing the shell probably would make no difference. BUT, I wonder if the heat of the dehydration process would kill the bacteria? All indications are that a well cooked egg is safe, but don't know the temp necessary to ensure that safety factor.

16. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I understand that the "germs" are likely inside the shell, but, when you consider where the eggs come from, I want to eliminate all bacteria and other nasties that I can.

I doubt that the dehydrating would do much to kill gems, I dont go much over 120 degrees or the eggs will cook on the sheets while in the dehydrator. If anything, it would provide a good incubator for them, that is why I try to hold the drying time to 2 hours.

17. Gypsyshome

Gypsyshome Member

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your time and knowledge with us. I found your web site and signed up.

Two things/concerns of mine are. Meds after SHTF and needs of folks with chronic problems. (I am going to store the fish and bird antibiotics, unless some one says it is a very bad idea to use these on humans).... KNOW I need to lose weight now, as do most of the nation, and I think when SHTF comes we all will lose? storing lots of white rice and oats. We are going to learn more about the "greens" that grow here in Fl. to balance the carbs.

Also looking for herbs OTC that help with arthritis and B/P. and high cholesterol. kind of afraid of the red yeast rice.... not sure why. ( liver is fine:D)

And I found a post, on this site a couple of days ago about Moringa. I call my M.D. and he has not heard of it, but I can find nothing that makes me fearful of trying it. I have just started the caps...4 in three days! way less than directed to start...(No side effects wanted)....but I wondered if you could speak to this type of supplement if we are over all healthy and active preppers age 60 and up. I know to the younger "kids" that sounds ancient, but I plan on being here many years to come and want ideas to make that happen. no sugar coating necessary.
    thank you a senior prepper.

18. TheSurvivalDoctor

It's been found that some chickens have salmonella in their ovaries. When they create an egg, the salmonella is inside the intact shell. So, no, I wouldn't think it safe.

19. TheSurvivalDoctor

I don't know the details of the dehydration process. I thought he said he'd be using raw eggs. I think as long as the eggs are "well-done" they should be safe.

20. TheSurvivalDoctor

I hate to be dubious, but it seems we hear of the new super food or super supplement every few months. So, I ask, what happened to the super food before that? I suspect enough people found out that it wasn't so super and the interest went away.

I can't find much about Moringa. The supplement may have not been around long enough, or not enough people taking it to know about side effects.

And that's the problem with saying it's okay to take it. As you know, the older you get, the more likely for side effects or adverse reactions to toxins. Our kidneys and livers aren't young anymore. So, if it were me, I wouldn't take it. If you do, never go over their limits and drink plenty of water.

By the way, I'm very close to your age group and, like you, hope to be around for many years to come.