Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When more people vote on American idol than the presidential election, I think that just about sums it up. However, the candidates on idol were better qualified, maybe even better qualified to have been on the pres ticket.

I saw an excerpt from a book once that stated, as best as I remember. Throughout history when entertainers, actors, atheletes and the like have been paid a huge salary compared to the regular people, the society and the country failed within fifty years. Where are we now?

I read a lot of quotes from Thomas Jefferson and some of his writings in his last years, he said we would last 250 years or five generations. Looks like he was right on the spot on that one.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I don't watch TV....at all...My husband watches the western channel. I get my unbiased news from the net..
But, it was so funny, because I don't know one singer, actor, celebrity, sports star from the other. And as we were getting ready for church one morning, my husband asked what 'a' lindsay lohan was???

I like it like that. Priorities are in order. ;)

·
134 Posts
Im a news junkie..tv is on FOX most every evening ..I listen to that while on the net..Im not a fan of any "star" of movies and tv..if I know of any movie stars its because they made the news..I want to hear the bad news (shtf) as qucik as I can as so to be able to react as quickly as I can...30 mins would enable me to hit Walmarts (1 mile away) and top off a cart before the panicked hordes get there.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,696 Posts
I don't watch T.V ever.damned thing kills brain cells faster than huffing industrial lacquer remover!

Well,lets see folks,there's an army of invaders spread throughout the country.

A 5th column of traitors actively destroying us from within.

The enemy is in the highest seat in the land.

Another enemy owns ALL our national debt.

Yet another believes they are on a mission from god to destroy us.

Our economy is crashing like the %$*&*#$ Hindenburg.

I'd say it's time to go camping and not come back for a decade or so.:gaah:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TV the one eyed demon!

When I was a kid there was a fire and brimestone Preacher here, he would scream out, Yall better get off yore couches and throw that one eyed demon out of yore house, YOU know what I MEAN, the one eyed demon sitting in everyone's living room. The one eyed demon is gonna lead you all down the road to HELL.

This was back in the sixties, if he was alive today, he would sure enough be raising HELL from the pulpit.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,696 Posts
I'm not in the least bit religious,but good sense is good sense.if you watch more than half an hour of current shows,you can actually feel your brain starting to rot!I unplugged mine in '99. I've never missed it!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Local news sucks...

Im a news junkie..tv is on FOX most every evening ..I listen to that while on the net..Im not a fan of any "star" of movies and tv..if I know of any movie stars its because they made the news..I want to hear the bad news (shtf) as qucik as I can as so to be able to react as quickly as I can...30 mins would enable me to hit Walmarts (1 mile away) and top off a cart before the panicked hordes get there.
Other than the weather report(s), most news on the stations in Providence, RI really sucks. I don't have cable...too expensive on my budget, so I am stuck with the local broadcast stations. Most of the news is just local stuff...fires, accidents, the occasional shooting, etc. While I feel empathy for the victims of these events, :( what does it really matter in the world view? :dunno: Add in the totally non-news related stuff like the recipe of the day, :pthe adopt-a-pet segment, and the latest status report on some brain-dead, addicted, so-called celebrity,:rolleyes: and you soon find me switching over to the local PBS station to watch the BBC World News Report and getting solid information about what is really happening in the world.(Those Brits sure do put together a good program and don't let anything slow them down when it comes to getting a REAL story on the air! :2thumb:)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I just bought a TV... first one in several years.. we do have cable but in my cabin I didn't have a TV so I thought I'd get one, I like to watch movies and belong to netflix.. yea I like trashy shoot em ups.. a good well done war flick... kinda like the History channel when it's not some stupid chit like Pawn shop or such BS.. that new show Top Shot ain't too bad don't know how they pick em as I ain't seen a real shooter yet...but I have buddies who are truly top guns with anything and can't even get a reply to their trying to get on the show... guess they don't really want a real gunman.. all them so called "Reality " shows suck.. nothing real about em.. I watched about 5 minutes of that Ozzie Ozborn show... in that time I would have taken a contract to pop all of them...why is that sh&t on the air?

I like Fox with Glenn Beck... think Bill O is a jerk off closet liberal and anti-gun to boot... he's a lawyer, says it all... Hannity ain't too bad... has some guests on and actually lets them talk...unlike B O'r..rest of the fam loves TV except "LOM" she hates the tube but will suffer thru a movie if I don't get to pick it...lol

All in all I guess I can live without it.. but have times when I enjoy it..

·
Registered
633 Posts
I'm surprised none of you have mentioned watching PBS. PBS is the only commercial-free and educational network out there.
I watch PBS and I watch several news shows on different stations to get some of the news however I get most of my news online.

·
Registered
983 Posts
We do watch the local news for the weather. PBS is our choice for news and entertainment. All total we watch about 10 hrs a week. Don't know if we would watch more if we had the time, too many projects and good books to read.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I enjoy PBS, even donate a little to them, get my news from BBC World on there. For weather, I go to NOAA.GOV, just type in zip code.

·
Adventurer at large
541 Posts
I watch very little TV, mostly The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad - hey, need some good ol' "mindless escapism" now & then.
The 'digital TV' thing hosed it bad - TV would stall, freeze, pixelate and finally lose the signal - the converter box is crap! So I tossed it and did not watch broadcast TV for nearly a year. I just used it for watching VHS and DVD movies.
Then I discovered "HULU.com" - for about eight bucks a month, I watch what I want, when I want - no 'schedule' needed.
I still get news online - again, I can 'pick&choose' what I think is relevant instead of being held hostage by the local blow-dried airheads.
I did finally get a flat-screen TV and hook up the antenna again - I do like to watch PBS on occasion.
I probably watch it four hours a week, if that.

When Rome was falling apart, the leaders gave the stinking masses "Bread & Circuses" to occupy their time and keep them from revolting - same thing is now occuring in the US of A. History ALWAYS repeats itself and mankind never learns the lesson. Be interesting to see what replaces our Democratic societal experiment and how long IT lasts.......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts