the ride of paul revere

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by stayingthegame, Jun 6, 2011.

1. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

here is our history lesson for today. By some one who wants us to know our history and heritage. with people like her in charge, I can see where our education dollars go. NO WHERE. :gaah:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    "He who warned the British that they weren't gonna be takin' away our arms by ringing those bells, and makin' sure as he's riding his horse through town to send those warning shots and bells that we were going to be sure and we were going to be free, and we were going to be armed." Sarah Palin

2. SpaceGhost

SpaceGhost Retired Drill Sgt

Didn't know that either. Cool. I'd like to tell somebody "I'm warning ya."

3. power

power ExCommunicated

I have a question. Why is it necessary to try to rewrite history just to save a politician from looking like a fool?

The sole purpose of the rides by Paul Revere, William Dawes, and Samuel Prescott was to warn the leaders of the rebels and to warn the colonial local militias that the British were coming. Their intent was not to warn the British already there that the British were coming.

We are all to blame for the low quality of the politicians we continue to elect.
    We continue to defend our choice of politicians for everything they can possibly do wrong. If the politician doing something folish, telling lies, not knowing what they are talking about, and outright comitting crimes is our choice of politicians we will look under every rock to find some way to defend them. Politicians know this and know they can continue to do pretty much what ever they want. They know there will be those loyal to them who will defend them no matter what they do or say. They also know these same supporters will be at the head of the mob to hang any politician of the opposite party who might do or say the same thing.

Anyone wanting to know what is really wrong with America can take a look at the way we choose politicians. We will continue to get the same results until we learn we have to judge all politicians the same. If it is wrong or dumb for one politician it doesn't immediately change when the other party does the same thing. What is wrong with one party is wrong with the others. They are not exempt or special just because they are your party.

4. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

Our problem is we elect career politicians. Those with law and political science as there only background. We need to elect local business leaders and figure heads of community. Not someone who went to college to learn how to lie better than the other fella'.

Funny thing is political science is gonna be one of my minors.

5. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

I have to agree with you Power. Having been born and raised within minutes of some of the Revolutionary War's most key battles and Paul Revere's ride, it is ridiculous to say that Paul Revere "warned" the British. Were our fledgling colonies / counrty in any position to "warn" the most powerful nation that ever exsisted (at that time) that our militia was preparing for them and would beat them? The whole point of the ride of Paul Revere was to let our people know that it was time to make sure our munitions were hidden as well as possible and to take up arms. It was not to warn our enemy of the action's we were going to take against them.

I learned growing up that Paul Revere was what we call today (a trash talker) and very mouthy, but to say he "warned" our enemy is a crock of crap to make Palin look like less of a fool. When Paul Revere was detained during his ride, I am sure he did what he could to be let go on his way and did not speak badly of the king or his troops. Paul Revere was brave and NOT stupid. I support the Tea Party and I am a Republican, but I will also not re-write history to make a politician look good. Palin needs to learn that sometimes less is more. She need's to learn when to speak and when to shut up.

6. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

You guys crack me up!!! :lolsmash:

Rewrite history ... they have been rewriting history before it was even history lol. (And it wasn't done by or for Sarah Palin. :D

7. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

Andi, we are talking about this specific (very recent) event here. Are you saying we should not point this out because it's Palin??? Palin put her foot in her mouth again. No need to be protective of her.

8. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

9. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

Frugal, she's is the lady with the tour buses that have a huge face on 'em. She talks a lot and apparently doesn't know history. Help any?

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

neil-v1 - I have no need to be protective of her ... but I do love to watch as other try and take her down. (Sparks do tend to fly) ;)

So we can toss out Revere’s own account and Boston University history professor... So tell me then how did Sarah rewite history ...

In fact, Revere’s own account of the ride in a 1798 letter seems to back up Palin’s claim. Revere describes how after his capture by British officers, he warned them “there would be five hundred Americans there in a short time for I had alarmed the Country all the way up.”

Boston University history professor Brendan McConville said, “Basically when Paul Revere was stopped by the British, he did say to them, ‘Look, there is a mobilization going on that you’ll be confronting,’ and the British are aware as they’re marching down the countryside, they hear church bells ringing — she was right about that — and warning shots being fired. That’s accurate.”

11. power

power ExCommunicated

No one has to try and take her down. She does a pretty good job of doing that by herself. Like many politicians she makes mistakes, everyone does even those who aren't politicians. Palin knows there will always be those who will make excuses for her even when she shows her lack of knowledge. All she has to do is make a lot of noise. Just so happens that is what she does best.

Anyone with even a grade school education should know the reason for Paul Revere's ride. It definately was not to warn the British that were already here that more were coming. The U.S. is in bad shape today. The U.S. will continue going downhill as long as people try to defend politicians who know little about anything except how to lie and get others to back them up.

Poor education and little knowledge can be corrected but if a person can benefit more from being dumb than they can by learning there is no desire to learn.

12. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

she should either go to Hollyweird or go home, whereever that is.she is a distraction from the real problems we have, fuel 4 bucks a gallon and many people can't buy fuel for basic needs, yet she buys a hundred thousand dollar bus and goes on tour.
    did she move to AZ to challenge McCain?

13. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

So we can toss out Revere’s own account and Boston University history professor... And more than a few others. :google:

neil-v1 even posted, I am sure he did what he could to be let go on his way and did not speak badly of the king or his troops. Paul Revere was brave and NOT stupid.

Got it ... thanks for clearing that up.

So you guys can bash away ... carry on... :)

14. IlliniWarrior

IlliniWarrior Well-Known Member

Big O's Speech Writer Has a History Book

You guys making a joke on Palin's history ignorance think that the Big O would come off any better? ...... the democrat "image minders" shut down the Big O and especially his ignorant wife down years ago ...... remember her comment about never being proud of the US? ...... nobody says a thing without it being tele prompted .......

Question? ..... think Palin is any worse than Hillery?

15. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

Andi.......It has nothing to do with bashing anyone. Paul Revere was not "warning" the British. He was not. If he was, would that not be treason???? Anyone (including a teacher, politician, you, etc.) can bend the truth to protect the ones you love or the ones you may refuse to see as making a simple mistake.

It's also not about bringing Palin down either. I support what she stands for but when when someone is wrong, they need to simply say that they were wrong. Michelle Bachman was also wrong when she spoke about the Revolution but just because someone points out that mistake, it does not mean they are trying to "bring someone down".

Palin just likes to hear herself speak with all her momma bear, pappa bear crap all the time. It's cute the first couple of times, but after that she starts to sound like a doof.

I do support Palin's values, but I will never turn a blind eye to supidity as some of her supporters would no matter if they are a college professor or a discussion board moderator. Anyone can bend the truth..............just ask Obama or Clinton or etc, etc, etc........

16. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Hey, who cut down my cherry tree?

17. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

history according to politics, that's all it is. try choosing a family person to run government. one of us maybe. we keep our wallets balanced, money in money out, no money in no money out. how hard is that?:scratch

18. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

:crossfinger:

That was a good one.....

Jimmy