Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in shock at some of the prices implement dealers think they can charge :eyebulge:

I priced a couple of sprockets for a round baler about a week age, one brand,( at 2 different dealer groups) wanted 3 times as much for the exact same part.

I also priced some parts for one of our old tractors, nearly had a stroke at the pricing. $170.51 US for a 9/16 grade 5 or less T bolt. (the after market wants $ 40.00 which is still ridiculous.)

If parts are that high what makes them think I would even consider buying a new machine from them.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
I know what you mean. Many farm equipment places do a lot of gouging like that. Have several around here as well.

They seem to figure that if your tractor is down, you have to see them for the part and in a timely fashion so they think they have you by the balls.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Can you buy any of that stuff on eBay? You can buy almost anything there but the shipping charges would be high on some things.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Paid $50+ dollars for a little tiny 12T 40 chain sprocket at JD last week, a couple ounces at most of low grade metal and "machining". A regular shafted sprocket would have cost a fraction and been stronger but for "convenience" :rolleyes: (changing it was a lot more difficult than it had to be) they made one welded to a piece of pipe. Could have made one myself, or had one made even, for cheaper but when there is a couple grand worth of grass seed in the drill and unpredictable weather you just need to get it done.

I am a BIG fan of "parts machines" for that reason, it just isn't possible to stock every part you need otherwise and even if the part isn't 100% it gets you through a pinch till you have some time to do some shopping around or machining.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Parts machines are great, but in the case of our baler, the sprockets would probably have been worn unless they were replaced recently.
the sprockets are a fairly rare item, a 14 tooth 60 on a 1 3/4 " shaft with a gibbs key, the bore on a weld on 14 60 is 1 3/4 so that one would have meant more lathe time and heat treatment, but the Agco dealer can get them for a reasonable price.

John Deere has some ridiculous ideas what parts are worth, CNH too.

but I can build the John Deere parts and pay my self well for my time, that shouldn't happen.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
JD is probably the worst for odd pricing, and by that I mean some things are actually cheaper than I would guess, while others are just ridiculous.

It's a 2 sided coin, on the other hand I am very glad they still stock the parts at any price, that isn't the case for a lot of manufacturers.

What makes me the most frustrated is where the engineers could have very easily used an off the shelf part (often it would have been the easiest solution) but instead chose to use some obscure or proprietary solution:gaah: Some companies are/were much worse for that.

As for the parts machine, YES! Found out the hard way over the years that many cheap or free used parts are WAY more expensive in the long run. Like I say, these days I find them most useful for temporary solutions, although a lot of parts fail in other ways than wear and some can be "refurbished" when a guy has the time.

If anything difficult has to come apart these days, any bearing or bolt that looks at me funny is likely to get R&R'd, although in the years since I got REALLY liberal with the Kopr-Kote taking things apart has gotten to be a lot less of an ordeal. The new cordless impacts don't hurt either :)

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
Y'all need to start going through some industrial machine places. Sprockets are sprockets and industrial sprockets and gears are designed for 24/7 usage.

Is this what you're talking about, Tirediron, only with a 1 3/4" bore? http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/14-tooth-sprocket-for-60-roller-chain/
If you have a part number, do a search and see if you can't find where JD gets theirs from.

It's one of those deals where if they can't help you, they probably know who can.

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
You would think so Marcus, and some times it works like that, but machinery makers use a lot of parts that just aren't available cheap.

There are great sources for generic parts, that's kind of my point though. The sprocket I needed last week was basically welded onto a thin pipe, instead of keyed or some other standard method, that's all, flimsy but it works. Of course if they had used a standard weld on sprocket, it would have been much easier, instead they used one with simply a flush weld :rolleyes:

I have access to a couple huge industrial machine shops, we have fabbed a couple parts over the years, but as for parts they are often paying more. The stuff they do tends to be much more non-specialized though.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Y'all need to start going through some industrial machine places. Sprockets are sprockets and industrial sprockets and gears are designed for 24/7 usage.

Is this what you're talking about, Tirediron, only with a 1 3/4" bore? http://www.thebigbearingstore.com/14-tooth-sprocket-for-60-roller-chain/
If you have a part number, do a search and see if you can't find where JD gets theirs from.

It's one of those deals where if they can't help you, they probably know who can.
The sprockets are on a CaseIH baler, a rebranded Hesston, CNH at 2 dealer networks think they should have about $110.00 CDN, the Hesston dealer has a much more reasonable price of just under $40.00 CDN about $28 US right now, the 1 3/4 bore/ Gibbs key is the the odd ball part, An industrial dealer here found 14 60 1 3/4 bore standard key set screw sprockets for around $70.00 CDN (If we order parts from the US, we are at the mercy of a customs broker and they often double the price on small orders, just to be friendly)
I always try to find a non dealer option for machinery repair if possible and usually save a fair bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts