Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I was on a cross-country bike ride in real life last month, and my husband and I had talked about a lot of "what ifs". I started writing this story on the train from Montana to Louisiana, and I worked on it in camp at night and on the train home a few weeks later, finishing it when I got home.

All went well on the real-life bike ride, except for being on the fringe of some bad storms that included tornadoes in nearby places. Went through Yazoo City 3 hours after the tornado that killed 10 people. Took lots of pictures. I was stunned by mile after mile of devastation. Huge oak trees broke in half and tossed hundreds of feet. Houses crushed. A whole building laying on it's side and looking otherwise undamaged.

Writing the story was fun, it gave me something to think about while I pedaled. People passing in cars saw a serene middle-aged lady rolling along pleasant backroads, and had no clue I was imagining gun battles and collapse of civilization, etc.!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I'm up way past bed time, but I just had to finish it.

:melikey: :thankyou:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input! Glad you liked it! I'm working on the companion story...the one about what happened on the home front after the EMP!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:) Soon, dear Uncle Joe (and everyone else!), soon!

The research for it has been a blast! I let the kids and grandkids pick their own names for the story, and asked for brief comments on scarios, things they thought they would do or or that would happen.

In addition to that, they've bombarded me with information such as the emergency procedures at their various workplaces (some of them had to ask! They didn't know!), and my son borrowed an emergency plan book from the fire dept. with EMP and other subjects.

The best part is it has them all paying more attention to these things and taking us more seriously about prepping! :D

·
The Skeptic
280 Posts
great read sue, I think you have potential in the writing racket

if you have the time you should look into local publishers in your area, you could definitely expand on this story

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, thanks kogneto! I'm expanding the story right now, writing a story of what "happened at home" during the first story. It'll include some great adventures as the family (kids and grandkids) make their way to our place, which is the bug-out place (in real life and in the story) for us all. We've come up with adventures and scenarios for them all to get there, plus my husband waiting there, getting ready.

The third part of the story will take up from there, with all of us gathered and heading into the shelter, as missiles have begun to be fired.

But I have to get home from our week at Dirt Time in Wyoming so I can get back to work on it! Thanks for your compliments on my writing! Beginners luck? We'll see how good the next one is!

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
GypsySue... that was one of the best stories I have read in a LONG time. GREAT JOB. :congrat: When will the sequel or prequel or next installment be ready? :2thumb:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the delay of having company, then a week in Wyoming, has put it back to probably the end of next week! We're still in Wyoming and head for home tomorrow. and I'll be able to finish it up, hopefully by the end of next week.
I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! Thanks for your kind words!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
"outstanding"

Miss Sue
I did send you a PM , but I wanna say here that your story is one of the best I've read and I hope you keep at it, get it published if you can I can see a great movie deal in it!!! of course the fools in HollyWierd would ruin it but maybe it would help others to prep...

Again, good read !!!

Hozay Buck

1 - 20 of 46 Posts