The Hidden Costs Of Cap And Trade

Discussion in 'Politics' started by UncleJoe, Apr 12, 2010.

1. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Taken from: American Thinker Blog: Onerous New DOE Regulations Headed Our Way

...What's actually going to happen is that anyone who tries to sell their home is going to need to replace that perfectly good water heater, and lots of other electrical devices in their homes in order to legally sell their home.

What was that you said?

If that last sentence surprises you, then you're not aware of the fact that the Obama administration is planning to force us to register our homes, just like our cars, and get them inspected by an authorized agent of the DOE in order to get an "Inspection Label" for the home. So I suggest that you all read the Cap & Trade bill which was passed by the House last June, and which President Barack Obama is probably going to try to ram through the Senate shortly. That abomination of a bill requires us to bring our homes into compliance with each of the new standards for all regulated appliances, in order to legally sell them...

2. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Don't forget that we'll also need RFID's implanted in all of our livestock and have to register them and our homes with the USDA and notify them whenever one of those animals leaves our propety. Thank you NAIS

Then of course we'll have gov't. oversight of the food we grow at home just to ensure that the nation's food supplies are safe.

Why should this upset anyone? It's all for our own good courtesy of the brain trust in Washington D. C. The party that brought us Waco and Ruby Ridge.

3. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::sssh: I knew it but at a loss for word's. I live in coal country, nufsaid. Total economic devastation.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

The gubermint can kiss my a$$ if they expect me to tag my chickens in the name of safety.

5. kyfarmer

I predict that when those tight azz restrictions try to be inforced, it ain't gona be purdy.

6. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Damn, I had no idea, haven't been paying attention.. this makes building off the grid and quietly even more desirable...

Does this bunch in DC understand that we will be pushed only so far? and when we get tired of it we will push back?..

I can't believe they are so stupid, or maybe they understand the sheeple better then I think...

Oh well, much to do, little time to do it...

There's a war coming, civil or revolution either or both... because I don't see them stopping and I don't see a lot of us laying down...

Venga en paz o váyase en pedazos

7. Asatrur

Hail to this!

8. nhfieldrep

nhfieldrep Proud Americian!

All I can say is "Praise the Lord and pass the ammo", keep your powder dry boys!

If it comes to shooting to take our country back, then let me be the one to fire the first shot!

I love this country for what it's allowed me to do and become and I'll be the first to lay down my life for it if need be. I'm so tired of seeing what they have done to this land and it's people :cry:

God Bless you all!

9. UncleJoe

The original NAIS died back in Feb. But don't worry, the USDA is reworking it and giving the heat to the individual states to implement.

NoNAIS.org Past USDA Sec Johanns Disses NAIS

10. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

That's amazing. I didn't think anyone in gov't. had enough sense to drop it. Of course, like you said, they haven't really "dropped" it, just changed the focus.

11. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Virginia has no money to implement this program. Last I heard we were $4.8 billion down. Our local ag department got the hatchet the first of the month. Not that they were much help anyway ... but we did have one.

12. UncleJoe

Pa. is about $3 billion in the red also but if enough special interest groups get involved, you never know what could happen. :rolleyes:

13. Asatrur

You mean like Big Ag? They despise small, local farms

14. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

What you and mn_homesteader said could be true ... but with teachers and public safety being cut :dunno: I just don't see it right now. (but... I could be wrong. :D)

15. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

We need to RFID tag the danged politicians and put them down when they step foot out of DC. Make DC a Quarentine Zone. Politics is a disease. :mad:

16. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Ann Coulter says Liberalism and Terrorism are different stages of the same disease.

17. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

I think we should start charging these politicians a stupidity tax. Seriously. We would have the budget crisis resolved in no time! I read the articles on the links in these posts and the regulations that the Obama administration and the USDA will have a negative impact on the public. Does it make sense to mandate homeowners to comply with regulations that could cost them tens of thousands of dollars to implement just to sell their home? Energy efficiency is a great idea, it just isn’t good to make it more difficult for people to sell their homes in a time when the housing market shows no signs of improving anytime soon. The banks have tightened their lending standards to a point where even people with good credit can’t get loans or increased limits on their lines of credit to make the required improvements. The labor market is still on life support, so getting a second or third job to fund the home improvements isn’t a viable option. How are people supposed to pay for all of these new mandates?

The cost of food could go up and some cattle farmers could be put out of business because of the USDA’s animal ID program. If the farmers have to sell their livestock at a loss to a bidder that is compliant with the program, then they will have to compensate for the loss by raising prices elsewhere or risk going out of business. Not to mention all of the costs involved with obtaining and implementing the devices that the farmers will have to cover. Some of them are barely remaining solvent because they too are having a difficult time getting credit to finance these new rules. Unfortunately this will all have a ripple effect and it will only make things worse for everyone later on down the road. Or sooner.

18. Jeani

Jeani Member

BP, the energy company responsible for the ongoing oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, helped craft the bill proposed by Sens. John Kerry and Joe Liberman that would tax businesses for carbon emissions and raise the soct of fuel for American consumers..

BP and big oil companies regularly make bigger contributions to Democrats candidates than Republicans...Go figure that...

If you enjoyed the lack of transparency shown by the Senate when crafting their version of Obamacare, you will love the way they plan on crafting the Cap and Trade legislation.

Instead of introducing the bill and sending it to committee, future Nevada Senator Emeritus, Harry Reid is taking over the process.

Just as he did during the Obamacare process, Reid will be taking the bill drafting process behind his closed office doors for the deal making.

This November, we need to make some voting changes to 'vote them out...'

I read that Obama was trying to 'push' this bill through during the oil spill..

If it didn't pass, he was just going around it to go through the EPA...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plan would reduce U.S. manufacturing capacity 0.3 percent by 2020 and by nearly 1.5 percent by 2050

The cap-and-trade system favored by President Barack Obama and many congressional Democrats could potentially damage the U.S. manufacturing sector and force jobs to move overseas.

Beginning 1 year after enactment of the Cap and Trade Act, you won’t be able to sell your home unless you retrofit it to comply with the energy and water efficiency standards of this Act. H.R. 2454, the “Cap & Trade” bill passed by the House of Representatives, if also passed by the Senate, will be the largest tax increase any of us has ever experienced.

The Congressional Budget Office (supposedly non-partisan) estimates that in just a few years the average cost to every family of four will be $6,800 per year.

Cap-and-trade bill as written will rewrite the American dream – home ownership and provide heavy tax burdens for generations. Provisions within the largest tax increase in the country’s history will change the way you buy and sell a home, use energy and shop for goods and services.

A new government bureaucracy created within the bill will force homeowners who wish to sell their homes to retrofit their houses to be “environmentally-friendly.” The costs would fall to the homeowners possibly injuring an already fragile real estate marketplace.

Potential replacement items required would range from eco-friendly hot-water heaters to windows. .

Also included in the massive 1,500-page bill is water rationing. The federal government has set up a shower manager. One website selling a shower manager calls the gadget the “Shower Nazi.” Located in section 217 of the bill and the Shower Nazi units puts a three-to five-minute limit on showers.

Controlling other aspects of your life will be seen in the mandatory 20 percent wind/solar consumption to start; this would definitely lead to energy rationing if there was not enough wind turbines and solar panels in place.

Proponents of the bill say Waxman/Markey will help consumers use less energy because costs would be too expensive to use water and electricity. The end result say the Democrats is reduced energy use equals reduced cost monthly costs.

However, according to the Heritage Foundation by 2012, the average taxpayer will see an additional increase of $436 per year and the number will eventually hit $1,241 a year plus 2.5 million in U.S. job loses.

Heritage also contends that consumers will pay hidden taxes in grocery, gas and anything manufactured because business owners will simply pass the added cost onto taxpayers.

The farming community will also pay a hefty price with cap-and-trade. They will virtually be wiped out of the food export business because their “field to market” cost will no longer be competitive with foreign countries.

As with any increase in costs the low-income families would be hit the hardest; however the government insists it will offer rebates to those hurt the most, which translates into another tax for the middleclass to pay for those rebates.

When the consumer thinks of energy they think electricity and oil consumption. This legislation will do nothing to curb our foreign-oil disease.

“Instead of reducing dependency on overseas energy suppliers, Americans would be more dependant than ever,” says Clayton Mahaffey an analyst at Redchip Co. in Florida. “They’ll be searching the globe for refined products that don’t carry the same level of carbon costs.”

Experts from the American Petroleum Institute also agree that one in six refineries would be closed by 2020 leading us towards problems similar in Iran, tons of oil, but no refineries – gas rationing.

Adding to skyrocketing energy and fuel costs, the API estimate that carbon permits would add 77 cent per gallon to the cost of gasoline.

This cost alone will slam commuters, air travelers and trucking companies.

The bottom line is the American dream would be placed on hold.

MIT states American families will see a $3,000 increase per year in energy taxes – all for a 2/10ths of one degree reduction in temperatures in the next 100 years.

According to the Carbon Dioxide Information Analyst Center, CDIAC, if the country wants to curtail carbon dioxide the country should be building nuclear and hydroelectric plants. “They are cheaper, carbon-neutral and 100 percent domestically sourced.”

Cap and trade legislation translates into 17 percent of the U.S. economy and health care takes up 16 percent of the economy. Worse, Washington D.C. runs the auto industry and some financial sectors as well. Where does it end?

Ed Royce, a seventh-term congressman from Orange County, CA. says, “The power grabs and political maneuvering can be as ugly as the city is impressive.”

For more stories; Cap and tax passes quietly in Congress

19. kyfarmer

Well this has nothing to do with the cost of anything, it is 100% a power grab that cannot be stopped with nothing less than, what none of us want. They don't give a big hairy rats azz what we want. We are headed toward total control by govt. or total freedom, nothing less and any one who thinks they will not be affected by this crap is living in lala land. :mad: The number of every day folk that don't give a crap one way or another is frighting. As they say we are on our own! :scratch I can't help it i really think the spill was not an accident, to ready made for cap and trade, something they know would not pass. :sssh: I know kyfarmer get the reynolds wrap out, maybe. I remember someone saying let no good crisis go to waste, think about that one.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  20. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Ditto, kyfarmer. I'm no spring chicken and I'm a history buff, and I can think of no time in history when America was in greater peril than right now. Our only hope for future generations lies in routing the criminals in DC. ALL OF THEM! Vote them all out. Americans should go to the polls in November with the rallying cry: IF THEY'RE IN........THEY'RE OUT.