The grab"n"git kit!

Discussion in 'Equipment & Survival Kits' started by Magus, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

A basic kit to throw in the trunk of your car,over your sholder,or stash somewhere near your retreat in case you get looted/raided.

3 changes of clothing,including socks,underwear,and cold weather gear if your area needs it,if you're in the deep south,you know what you need.

A decent Med-kit,not the three bandaid and butterfly crap,I mean a GOOD ONE!

A week's worth of MREs and a water filter and WPTs

A supply of any medications you require and glasses if needed.

Etxra boots and foot-powder.

Unscented Talcum powder.

A good working knife and pocket knife,a hatchet or machette too if you can take the weight.

A good,accurate and reliable 22 rifle,I chose a Ruger 10/22 because I could use a folding stock and extended magazines,but you know what works for you.several magazines as well.

500 rounds of high velocity 22LR.

A reliable and accurate 22 pistol,again,mine is a Ruger but there are many others equally serviceable.several magazines as well.

A fishing kit,something like a pocket fisherman or backpacking rod is great!but if space or weight is a concern,a couple of spools of heavy fishing line and some various hooks in an Altoids box is fine.

A Zippo lighter,fuel,and a couple of packs of flints.

A rain poncho.

2. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

So.......43 veiewers,did it help?or did you want me to break the rules and post about a supreme,tricked out AK-47/AR-15 zombie killa' kit?you can find that dumb crap on my forum,LOL!

3. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have a couple of kits ..

The ones that stay in my vehicle all the time include tow-straps, blankets, granola, granola bars, cereal bars, hard candies, cleaning supplies, rubber gloves, work gloves, winter gloves, toques, tire-chains .. and such.

My in the house kit that is ready to go at moments notice contains communication devices (Cobra hand-held CB, FRS), two inverters, head-lamp, solar blankets and a few other things.

Then I have the backpacks that contain clothing, hammock, bug-spray, solar blankets, duct-tape, rope and a few other things ..

4. Gene Backus

Gene Backus Guest

Yeah, very helpful Magus! You reminded me of something very important that I forgot to add in my grab n go kit.....an extra pair of glasses!! I am so glad that I decided to get online today and read around or I may not have found this very valuable information/reminder in enough time! I can't even get up to pee without my glasses! LOL:eek:

Thanks again Magus!

5. DocWard

DocWard Well-Known Member

The .22 LF is ubiquitous, and ammunition is plentiful, but I have a .22 WMF already, which gives just a bit more "oomph." I just need a pistol to match. As for the medical kit, I would say to go with as much as you are trained to use.

Yes, definitely helpful.

6. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

AMT used to make a 22 WMF "automag"which was a deadly accurate and with recomended ammo,reliable,sadly both it and AMT went poof in the 90's.
    you can still find them at gunshows however.

Ruger and Colt sued them out of existance.:mad:

7. JW Parker

JW Parker Keep Your SP101 Handy!

I carry two kits in the pick-up. One is for when I have to leave home and the other is for when I can't go home for awhile.

8. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Good thinking!

9. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I carry one big kit stored in MOLLE gear. That way I add/remove based on the situation. Similar idea just a different approach.

10. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Guest

We call them "Go Kits" in ham radio circles.

Here is what I have....

First put all your items in a 5 gallon Plastic bucket...bucket can be used for several things.

Food for 3 days...why 3 days...It takes Red Cross that long to get set up.
    Granola Bars, Packaged Crackers, hard candy, instant soups, tuna-chicken-ham kits, MRE's, peanut butter, (jiff makes small containers or purchase/borrow condiment sizes) drink mix tubes, (taster's choice makes a instant coffee in that size), fruit roll-ups, small packs of cookies, raisins/dried fruit, Trail mix.

Metal cup, canned sterno, metal spoon, matches/bic lighter

change of underwear, t-shirt,socks, towel (they have towels that are rolled tight in a package which take very little space at dollar stores),bar soap regular size in a soap container, hand santitizer, personal items such as toothpaste, brush, nail clippers, feminine products, shampoo...use travel sizes which can be found Walmart...any other things which you might deem necessary to your hygiene. You can use bar soap to wash out underwear and shirt and other cleaning needs.

Flashlight, small radio, extra batteries, sunglasses, reflective vest, thin windbreaker...the rayon type which can be stuffed into a sandwich bag.... sunblock, throat lozenges, gum, camp size toliet paper, (very small and packs easy), travel size wet wipes, small first aid kit, hat or cap, gardening gloves, duct tape, small nylon rope, aluminimum foil...(the heavy type large sheet folded )poncho, note pad, pencils, insect repellent wipes or small bottle of liquid type, chap stick, small bible (if you wish), 3 emergency candles, emergency type blanket (the silver type folded in a small package), couple of garbage bags, pocket knife, an all purpose tool, wrist watch, 2 meter/CB/FRS hand held transciver radio with extra batteries, (cell phones go down first in an emergency), prescription meds, aspirin and tylenol (asprin is useful in heart attack/stroke emergencies), also, your hand sanitizer is useful in cleaning wounds/cuts etc. , antibiotic ointment, 3- 20 oz bottles water, 20 to 50 dollars in change and small bills, map of area/state, copies of ID.
    Now with careful packing, you CAN get everything in...we did. Put the lid on the bucket and you are ready to BUG OUT if need be for any emergency. The buckets are 5 bucks at Walmart and come in several colors, each adult member of the family needs one packed with same items.

HERE is list for children...food for 3 days, cap, windbreaker, pancho, reflective vest, gloves, sunblock, personal items for hygiene, bar of soap, towel, chap stick, sanitizer, wet wipes (regular container) toliet paper, emergency silver blanket, 4 20 oz bottles of water, prescription meds should be packed in an adult's bucket,

2 changes of underwear/2 t-shirts, metal cup and metal spoon, coloring books, crayons, small toys...a beach blow up ball is great, sunglasses, roll of paper towels.

Babies...doz disposable diapers, doz cloth diapers with pins, 2 rubber pants, 6 outfits...3 cool, 3 warm, canned powder forumla, box baby cereal, applesauce, small juice boxes, plastic bowl, spoon, 3 bottles, fever drops, vaseline, baby blankets, 2 heavy one light, jacket, cap, socks, 4 20 oz bottles water.

We keep a "bug Out" camp kit in trunk of our car which has a tent, sleeping bags, small ax,BB pistol, and 2 additional gallon jugs of water. It's just the 2 of us, and it's kept in a box which doesn't take up much room. We always keep 2 small pillows and 2 blankets in the back seat all the time as we travel alot.

You need to make up a go kit for your pets also if you plan to bug out with them in tow. Pack leashes and couple of old towels and old blanket. Pack water for them, couple of plastic bowls, (I use cool whip containers) and use the individual packets of food, don't worry if they get hungry enough...they'll eat . Flea powder and collars will be helpful also. If you insist on taking the cat, put it in a pet carrier...it will save you alot of headaches. Keep copies of shots in kit.

This has served us well over the years and after being in 3 evacuations, we've learned much what works and what doesn't. Hope yall find this helpful

11. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Three evacuations!?! What part of Afghanistan do you live in? ;-)

12. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Guest

PS

There is a separate "Go Kit" for Ham radio operators to set up "Field Stations" ....I will post it if anyone is interested.

Also, you should map out several escape routes from your home if you need to leave the area......

Red cross and FEMA have list for "sheltering in home" during emergencies.

13. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Guest

LOLROF.....East Texas, Louisanna, and Oklahoma.....my husband is a minister and we have lived in several areas....we had to bug out due to hurricanes in TX and LA......Oklahoma was a gas well blowout.

14. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

That would be a good bit of information in the communications section .. go ahead and start a new thread there! :D

15. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Y'know,I'm thinking that a GP kit won't do anymore,I'll need three:

One for a "normal evacuation" like a burst gas line or minor chemical leak.

One for more serious things like a forrest fire or something else that might take a few days..

One for an all-out SHTF moment!godz that sucker'll be heavy!

16. Canadian

My wife and I are working on several BOB's. One for the safe room. One for the gun room. Two small ones for each of us with all the essentials.

17. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Now call me an optomist,but the landlord gave me a hell of an idea for one IF circumstances permitted an un hindered road escape.get a 6'X10' U-haul style trailer,put two foam mattresses in it,cover them by sliding a couple of bricks between them,put in a sheet of plywood for a fake floor and stack it full of supplies,keeping the semi-perishables at the back for ease of rotation and the firearms,ammo and tools up fron to make them hard for a thief to steal/NWO soldier to see.and keep it off to one side under a tarp,then when the SHTF,simply back up to it and haul @$$.its big enough to sleep 3 as well!much more comfy than a back seat.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  18. Canadian

Sounds alright but I'd say I'm partial to the little custom teardrop trailers I've seen.

19. crikey

crikey Member

sounds heavy. not sure I would want to carry that much weight with me for very long. Why carry so much when I can get by with a butter knife and flindt and steel. If I have time, throw in a light weight tarp and my M6 scout with about 50 rounds of .22 and 50 rounds of .410.

20. NYsurvivalist6

NYsurvivalist6 Guest

I agree.
    Having all that is NOT necessary to survive. Especially with weight and necessary distance for travel, you may want to downsize it a good chunk.