Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my last post I was surprised how many people welcome government interference in their life (it sounded like some even demanded) and the dependence that it creates. This is the last place that I would have expected such opinions.

What happen to self reliance and personal responsibility? Are we all just the "sheepeople" that everyone makes fun of or worry about?

To be honest the only thing that worries me are the shear number of irresponsible and dependent people in the world, not the end of the world because of an asteroid, climate change, government gone wild or any of the other very unlikely events.

·
The Skeptic
280 Posts
luxury societies always follow the path of least resistance

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
In my last post I was surprised how many people welcome government interference in their life (it sounded like some even demanded) and the dependence that it creates. This is the last place that I would have expected such opinions.

What happen to self reliance and personal responsibility? Are we all just the "sheepeople" that everyone makes fun of or worry about?

To be honest the only thing that worries me are the shear number of irresponsible and dependent people in the world, not the end of the world because of an asteroid, climate change, government gone wild or any of the other very unlikely events.
Longtime, the time you spend worrying about the Sheeple is time lost taking care of those you love, there is nothing you can do to save them, I'm the only member of my entire family that is into being prepared and willing to make it on my own...I tried, I talked, I sent reading material... the only response was from an aunt who has no clue who asked me when I started hating my country??? I couldn't even think of an answer for her she was so blind and deaf...

God love them but the bulk of the Greatest Generation believe FDR walked on water... nothing you can say will alter that, and that's what bred the " Sheeple generation"...

I love them but they are all about gone now, my moms 90 yo and she sure ain't gonna change..

So I just do what I do for myself and a few friends that I'd want with me when TSHTF, They will be good to have regardless..

You work on you and yours and the rest will live or die...not your job to worry about them...harsh? you bet...

·
Registered
482 Posts
It is sad to know that many citizens are too dependent on the government. Some people just don't learn. All you can do is what others have already advised. Prepare for yourself and your immediate family. The sheeple will only bring you down.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I’ve seen it get worse in my short 50-some years on this planet. Don’t know what age group or generation it affects the most or who cries louder when they don’t get what they want. Everyone seems to be intent that their government owes them something and they stand around with their hand out waiting. Be it food stamps, medicade, tax breaks, cash for clunkers, save the National Parks from the people… everyone is demanding something. And, unfortunately, they are getting it!!! Programs that were started as a temporary helping hand for folks in trouble have become a way of life instead.

In one way form or another 50% of every dollar I make it taken away in a tax, so they have a ton of money to pass around. I just don’t know how much longer I can afford to be on the giving end. Maybe I should start standing around with MY hand out!

I don’t waste my time worrying about it or those kinds of folks because in actuality there is nothing I can do. Sure, we can vote, write letters, make phone calls and that kind of passive crap but it really doesn’t make any politician change their minds. They have built a system that is meant to grow continually or it dies. It has gone from being for the benefit of the many to the benefit of the few. It has gone from being for the good of the majority to for the good of the loudest minority. A few loud folks (or worst yet the quiet ones) with enough cash behind them can buy anything in Washington.

The best any of us can do is to limit the interaction we have with the powers that be. They’ll have their hand in my pocket until the day I die, heck, even after death they are looking to what I had left and dipping into that! So basically, we are screwed and we will be supporting the sheeple and all they desire with no end in sight. Only thing I can do is try and keep what they get from me to a minimum by doing what I can for myself. The more I do for myself the less they know about to take away from me.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I would love to change the tiitle to something more along the lines of "The government is here to help .... themselves"

Most of those in the highest level of government are not there to help the people, they are there to take a paycheque and to try to make name for themselves. We have one "alderman" here in Calgary who is very vocal and a complete dipshit as far as I am concerned. I don't know how this "alderman" was elected to their position and I wish that they would just go away and to quit spending money that isn't there on pointless projects.

I believe that government has a role to play in society, but, I also believe that anyone elected to a position of power must be a volunteer and not take a paycheque or anything "equal-to-paycheque" for their time as an elected official.

By removing the huge amount of money that elected officials are paid, you are left with real down-to-earth people who are elected for the right reasons - to really help make a difference to the people that put them there.

Oh ya - there would be another bonus to that system - less governmental controls over every aspect of our lives.

·
The Skeptic
280 Posts
I would love to change the tiitle to something more along the lines of "The government is here to help .... themselves"

Most of those in the highest level of government are not there to help the people, they are there to take a paycheque and to try to make name for themselves. We have one "alderman" here in Calgary who is very vocal and a complete dipshit as far as I am concerned. I don't know how this "alderman" was elected to their position and I wish that they would just go away and to quit spending money that isn't there on pointless projects.

I believe that government has a role to play in society, but, I also believe that anyone elected to a position of power must be a volunteer and not take a paycheque or anything "equal-to-paycheque" for their time as an elected official.

By removing the huge amount of money that elected officials are paid, you are left with real down-to-earth people who are elected for the right reasons - to really help make a difference to the people that put them there.

Oh ya - there would be another bonus to that system - less governmental controls over every aspect of our lives.
I think elected officials should be paid, but on performance based pay, not some arbitrary number that city council sets up.

Of course knowing the machine, then you have to setup a task force to determine that pay grading rubric, and they'll want to get paid for their research, and if someone questions their methods an inquiry committee will be formed to determine their results :gaah:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
kog,

That is why I figure an elected position would be a volunteer position. A paid government job (like one of my brother's old jobs as a forestry-tech for the province) would be a paid position because he had to go through a process in order to get hired - and - when the job was done, so was the paycheque.

Here, once a person "finishes" being an elected official for the government, they are given a huge "payout" .. more money than I can make in 5 years at my current rate of pay.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Longtime, the time you spend worrying about the Sheeple is time lost taking care of those you love, there is nothing you can do to save them, I'm the only member of my entire family that is into being prepared and willing to make it on my own...I tried, I talked, I sent reading material... the only response was from an aunt who has no clue who asked me when I started hating my country??? I couldn't even think of an answer for her she was so blind and deaf...

God love them but the bulk of the Greatest Generation believe FDR walked on water... nothing you can say will alter that, and that's what bred the " Sheeple generation"...

I love them but they are all about gone now, my moms 90 yo and she sure ain't gonna change..

So I just do what I do for myself and a few friends that I'd want with me when TSHTF, They will be good to have regardless..

You work on you and yours and the rest will live or die...not your job to worry about them...harsh? you bet...
You have to worry about the these people because they will be you biggest problem if things go bad. I live on 40 acres, well hidden, 30 miles from a major city. More than likely I will be over run by these people. I do have a secondary house that is stocked, but it's at 10,000 ft under 30 ft. of snow right now and 12 hours away. It is likely safe from them but not real practical.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You have to worry about the these people because they will be you biggest problem if things go bad. I live on 40 acres, well hidden, 30 miles from a major city. More than likely I will be over run by these people. I do have a secondary house that is stocked, but it's at 10,000 ft under 30 ft. of snow right now and 12 hours away. It is likely safe from them but not real practical.
It's a different kind of worry though. Not so much for their well-being but for what they might do out of desperation. In a serious SHTF I don't think a lot of the sheeple will survive. Glad my place is a little over 100 miles from any major city and extremely hard to find unless you are familiar with the terrain.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Same here, the only person in my family that is prepared too. There like talking to a tree:scratch. But when there over at the house they always say I know where I'm going when the shit hits the fan. I give them a little smile:rolleyes: and tell them unless they helped, planned for it or put in some of the hard work or buckaro's no way no how. If they couldnt of listened to me and preparde alittle for there selfs. Theres no way I'm giving out a hand out to them for free.
I alway throw the pitch out there to family friends what and when something goes bad here. What are you going to do then wait in a government bread line a for days to get a few slices. But instead of put a few dollars here and there into being prepared they wanna blow it at the local mcdonalds or god knows what.:dunno:

·
Proud Americian!
10 Posts

All I can say is "Praise the Lord and pass the ammo!" Keep your powder dry boys cause the day is coming. :usaflag:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It was a sad day for me when health care passed, just another instance of those of us who worked and got somewhere having it taken away and redistributed to the gold bricks. I will be more proactive and get to more TEAPARTIES. I prep alone, my whole family thinks I'm nuts, including my wife. I may just disappear.

·
71 Posts
I agree with the general theme of many of these posts; you can't worry about others, just yourself. Like many here, I am the only real prepper in my family. Most of my family just ignore any signs that there may be a crisis coming. That's fine by me. I contnue to prepare and enjoy my life to the fullest every day. I do not plan to withdraw from society or turn my back on those who have differing views.

If for some reason some catastrophic event should befall us, I agree with Expeditioner that most people will perish, and that would include a lot of people that believe they are prepared for such a situation. I have seen people who were well trained and equiped still crumble under the weight of a life or death situation. If you want to survive in one of these scenarios you better be prepared to take another human life and go on the offensive when necessary.

To end on a brighter note, people have thought that "The End is Near!" since the beggining of recorded history. It hasn't ended yet. So stand up and fight for your rights, but don't forget to live your life to the fullest.

·
The Skeptic
280 Posts
See I don't know if I agree with the idea of the lone prepper. Sure it seems to make sense, but as humans we possess the capacity for looking beyond ourselves into our community as a whole.

Instead of succumbing to the idea that people think we're nuts I think we should take a proactive role in our community. We aren't alone in the idea that being prepared is important, and there are a lot of experts out there who's advice we should seek. In a SHTF scenario you can't be expected to know or do everything, it just isn't possible. You should be well read on a variety of topics but specialization is what makes our capitalistic society great. I think this is one of the things Rawles talks about in How to Survive. I'm not saying fit your larder to match them, but help others with their own larders and prepping.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
See I don't know if I agree with the idea of the lone prepper. Sure it seems to make sense, but as humans we possess the capacity for looking beyond ourselves into our community as a whole.

Instead of succumbing to the idea that people think we're nuts I think we should take a proactive role in our community. We aren't alone in the idea that being prepared is important, and there are a lot of experts out there who's advice we should seek. In a SHTF scenario you can't be expected to know or do everything, it just isn't possible. You should be well read on a variety of topics but specialization is what makes our capitalistic society great. I think this is one of the things Rawles talks about in How to Survive. I'm not saying fit your larder to match them, but help others with their own larders and prepping.
I don't think going it alone is the best idea but sometimes alone is better than trying swim with an anchor tied to your feet. What a person needs to do regarding "friends and relatives" who won't prepare is a difficult decision. I guess my position is that I won't put the lives of me and mine at risk to help people who refuse to take responsibility for themselves.

I like the idea of getting involved in a community type of way to an extent but what happens when you face the choice of protecting other people's families while yours is at risk. Many emergency responders and those in the military may face this at some point. For me, my first loyalty is to family.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
I don’t have anyone to prep with. I’m a medium fart (too young to be an old fart and too old to be a young fool) and set in my ways. Family are at least 500 miles away and know I am more of a woodchuck than a “real person” or sheeple kind of guy. The folks at work get a good chuckle out of my preps and ordering another case of #10’s as I can afford to but deep down I know they are wondering who is doing the right thing. Asked if I have ever opened a can of my stocks I tell them no. What if it tastes like crap they ask? I just tell them it will taste better than the alternative. And, if nothing happens the earliest expiration is 5 years (eggs) and when that rolls around I’ll order another and open it up and see what it tastes like!

I have talked to my neighbors about current events and they feel everything will be fine – they also voted for the great savior and think the whole health care thing is a great stride forward for our country as a whole. Yeah… they will not get a lot of free veggies from my garden this year. So, for where I am I’m planning on taking care of my dog and I. She’ll have to get used to eating 9 grain cereal with beef bullion and freeze dried fruits and veggies in it when we don’t have fresh. That is after I run out of the big bag of her food.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are ways to get people on board with prepping. Screaming "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE AND THE WORLD'S GONNA END AND I'M GONNA LAUGH AT YOU AS YOU'RE STARVING TO DEATH" isn't a convincing way to get people on board. Despite my sister in law's adamant stance on "no guns in my house" I still got my brother to put away a 9mm and enough ammo to at least (hopefully) make it to my house. He's also got a very hefty larder and I've been very clear about what he needs to bring with him if he ever shows up at my house during an emergency. I have some friends who I've also convinced to get onboard. Hell, depending on the emergency I might be showing up at their house. A man is not an island. If things get really ugly then you'll need some people around that you can count on. There's no better way to ensure that you can count on someone than when you know that they can count on you.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Longtime, when I say don't worry about them I mean the friends and family that flat will not hear you when you speak... I'm not talking about the MZBG's or the wave of Cannibals charging your door...your on your own with that one. Trying to get friends and family to listen is a noble effort, but one day it's time to just stop talking.. now if you can afford to prep for all of them and want them there as support for your retreat then that's a different thing...

I'd let in a fellow shooter and hunter before I'd let in my cuz Clyde the stonier..you have to separate the wheat from the chaff before you make the bread.. I have friends who just don't have the means to prep like I do, but I trust them to cover my 6 anytime.. I will keep stockpiling for the time that I can say sure buddy come on in... but I'll be damned selective.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
... There's no better way to ensure that you can count on someone than when you know that they can count on you.
That statement doesn't make sense. Would you clarify it please?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts