The food shortage coming to america?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Camoevo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Camoevo

Camoevo Member

2. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

Yup! Russia lost their wheat crop to fire, Australia lost theirs to floods, God knows who will be next...the wheat prices will shoot through the ceiling soon.

I planted an acre last September, it should be ready by Independence day, Lord willin'! - I'll put some pictures of the hand-harvest in here. I got a scythe with a grain-cradle and some threashing flails last spring... ought to be able to get a year's supply of bread pretty easy by hand.

But, jest remember (in red below):

3. carolexan

carolexan Junior Member

All you have to do is walk through the grocery stored to see pricing rising higher and higher. The commodities we get from those suffering country is putting a hurt on us already. We have put every penny we could into our preps the last few months (even though we have been prepping for 30 years) to the changes coming.

4. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

It is inevitable, it's already happening, and that is a scary article. Tunisia's President is on the run because he promised to fix the food shortages and couldn't. The price of oil alone is putting things even here through the roof.

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

wow, I just bought 100 loaves of whole wheat bread for $.25 each figuring the winter chill would keep it through winter, and my friends could use some (yes, it is SO easy to help be magnanimous when times are good, oh waitaminute, times are... oh crap :eek: )... guess I should go see if there are any more & freeze em' when the thaw comes :dunno:

side note: ACME chain has quite a few buy 1 get 2 free specials on various items this upcoming week

6. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Shoprite has pasta on sale for $.40 per pound for the last 2 wks. We've been stocking up. That's 1/2 what I paid at Sam's for bulk packages. Our local Acme is one that's slated to be axed. We'll be down to Aldi's and shoprite.

7. The_Blob

I went to the shoprite store locator & saw that they are only in a few of the eastern states & none in Ohio :cry: ... :2thumb: good deals there for sure!

8. BasecampUSA

Extra, old bread?

Heh... whatcha gonna do when they thaw? :D

The Russians brew a kind of "beer" (Kvass) with old bread (not moldy!)...
    only mildly alcoholic, and easy to do.
    When I was there on business in the early 90's I had some.
    Every major street corner in Russia has a vendor with a big tank in summer.

At first it tasted a bit strange, but it GROWS on you!
    Keeps you cool in the summer, there's "something" about it.
    I love it... you can buy it in bigger cities at "European" markets etc.
    I've made the stuff too... it's fairly easy.

Here's "kvass"... it's very nourishing...
    Kvass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My ma-in-law makes me bread pudding twice a month from all unused bread. YUM!

- Basey

9. Herbalpagan

Herbalpagan Well-Known Member

all the more reason to share deals we find and to start a big garden!

10. The_Blob

I figure I have 2 months before I have to worry about that. I like to make bread puddings and homemade stuffing too. I've got enough turkeys in the freezer to make 1 every other week until mid-late June... so as turkeys go out bread can go in (I hope). worst case, I'll just feed it to my pigs.

11. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I'll take mine with a cream sauce:D:D

12. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

The Egyptians made beer in a similar method grind and bake the grains into loaf to convert sugars before fermenting.

There's even a painted wood sculpture from an Egyptian tomb showing the process here it is...

Brewery and bakery

13. BasecampUSA

Ahhh... you're a turkey-freak too, eh? ... that's what happens around this 'stead! ;)

-feed it to the PIGS?? :gaah:
    ... awww, let me make beer out of it! :cool:

Basey :D

Nice link, PDX... thanks

14. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

One suggestion to help prevent waste would be to toast the bread and then cut it into cubes. The cubes could then be used for croutons on salads or for stuffing. The cubes will have a longer shelf life if they are thoroughly dried.

15. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

If the price hasn't gone up, the stuff is put in a smaller package.

16. Camoevo

Camoevo Member

its only a matter of time before we wake up and find our selves looking at crazy prices here.

17. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

Our eggs have gone from .99$ to $1.60/$1.90. Wheat from $7/$8 a bag to $13/$14 since the fall.

In round numbers, they both doubled. I think crazy is already hear!