The debate

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by *Andi, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Big city people will stay put like good sheep

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Big city people will filter out slowly to see if the grazing is better else where

36 vote(s)
    49.3%
  3. Big city people will leave in droves like lemmings

12 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Alright .... so hubby and I have been having 'The Great Debate' lol...

The question is simple ...

How many city people will "walk' when the :shtf:

I say city folk are ... well city folk and will not leave but wait for someone to help them ...

Hubby said people will leave the city and look else where ...

Now ... I do not say "all city people will stay" ... If they have a BOB, BOV or BOL ... well ... they will go ... but I say "A TRUE" city person will not leave the city.

We have taken this to the peppers at hubbies work ... and run 6 with me and 3 with him ... so tell me what you think ...

When the :shtf: will city folk walk or not??????

Yes they will walk (and why)
    No they will NOT walk (and why)

2. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

I think those who Camp or hunt will prolly leave the city , those who don't wouldn't know what to do if they did leave, and in the case of grid failure would not know what happened. So most would prolly wait huddled expecting resque,
    Where I 'am cattle rustling will become a crime with capital punishment (provided by ranchers)

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

The few city folk with some common sense will eventually leave fer greener pastures when the limited resources run out. They will venture out lookin for the better deal.

Some will simply sit around an wait, wait on help what more en likely will never come, er what does will be streched to thin. Others will simply take what they wan't from others.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I believe most hardcore city folk will stay put waiting for help to come. To be fair, I'm sure there are at least a few that are aware of the problems we face as a nation and what could go wrong but for the majority; they'll stay put and expect the .gov will come riding in on a white horse to save them.

No they will NOT walk- 1 vote

Should have made it a poll. :)
    Is that possible here mods?

5. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I did hope for a poll ... but didn't see how??? LOL

Thanks for the input!!

6. BlueShoe

BlueShoe ExCommunicated

All cities are not equal nor are all states. Where communities have tax payers now that could walk if they want to continue earning, they'll walk. Where cities have high concentrations of free-loaders, they'll rot. What ever the balance is in America comparing one to the other, will be the answer.

7. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

A lot of city people are afraid to leave the city NOW and head to the rural areas. I think only desperation will get a lot of them headed into the wilds.

My vote would be that while a small percentage will head out of the city...most will stay, some out of fear, some because they really believe someone will show up at their door and say "I'm from the government, I'm here to help you"! Just my humble opinion!

8. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

OH BOY!! a debate and a vote...

I think they will stay behind their locked doors waiting....and ...waiting...... UNTIL!!!!
    The fires and rioters and rapist and ..etc etc... start coming then they will be cattle running in front of the rustlers... and at that point they will leave the city...but then ..the rats will be running too...

I say they will for the most part stick, out of fear of the unknown...

Stick

9. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

I don't think many city people are going anywhere very fast, I've been in or thru most American cities and even on a normal day at rush hr everything is at a stand still, just imagine a little panic,or after the 3rd day with no food,gas,rds will be blocked, everything will come to a halt, one of the worst will be NYC, they can't get in or out without crossing a bridge,

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

There is a comfort factor involved here that will affect whether people move or not. Look at some of Canadian's old posts-he lived in the city and pretty much said he'd be staying because that was where he's comfortable. My skin crawls in the city now-I feel vulnerable when I'm in a crowded arena or stopped in traffic, sepecially on a bridge or in a tunnel. I will NOT be city bound in a SHTF scenario, so to me it only makes sense that the inner city/suburban set has a similar outlook on the country. Sure, at first they may try to leave. They may take and try to steal and butcher livestock but most will not know what to do with the dead cow lying at their feet that they had to empty a whole magazine to actually hit with a kill shot. So thay'll head back to town and scavenge and wait for handouts.

My vote-they stay in the cities and suburbs.

11. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

We live in a very rural area where lots of city people have cabins. Those are the people -- with their friends, who will be coming up, most of them completely unprepared. When the city dwellers start starving, then even they will migrate out of the city.

12. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I think most will stay put, as long as they can.

Once they realize nobody's coming to help, they may try to get out but by then, it's too late. Looting, rioting and firefights in the streets will force most back indoors. The ones that do get out of the city then need to face those that are in the suburbs who are trying to protect their own. I wouldn't expect more then a couple percent of the city's population to actually make it to rural areas. Those that do will be 2 very different groups. Raiders and Survivalists. The former will cause some problems until they're eliminated. The latter would be able to assimilate.

13. OldFashionedMama

OldFashionedMama Partyin' like it's 1699

Our decision to stay or go will depend on many factors. We do have the option to leave the city and relocate to a secluded and secure location. If something happened that caused gridcrash, right now we would have to leave. That, however is something I want to fix. The way I see it, all the desperate people will flee the city, not even realizing that there are ways to get by. I am in what I consider to be a unique and fortunate location, within walking distance of a several-thousand-acre park-most of which is densely forested. If I can stay in my own house long enough to let the crazies leave the city, I'd have the whole place to myself and maybe a few other likeminded people. Plenty of small game, wild fruit trees, fish, and other things to survive on here.

14. Catastrophy

Catastrophy Catastrophy

If you want to know what city folk are going to do, look in your history books - the early part of the 20th Century - when the stock market crashed, there was high unemployment and no welfare state.

15. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

IMHO, there is no American precedent for our current situation. Americans were a far different breed then (the Great Depression) than now, with few exceptions. One of the reasons is precisely what you stated: "No unemployment and no welfare state" back then. People knew how to survive because they had to.

Today, some cities have as high as 50% of their population sucking off the government tit. Many of those are generational, meaning they never worked, nor did their pappy, nor their grandpappy. These people will be our greatest threat in many SHTF scenarios, including what we might consider inconvenient but minor occurances, e.g., a widespread power outage for a few months. Even a widespread blackout for a week, and many cities will burn and the animals will run the zoo.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  16. PopPop

PopPop Well-Known Member

We know the answer - Katrina!

17. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'll have to admit, the Katrina Example is rather anecdotal for certain segments of the population

18. philjam

philjam Well-Known Member

All those part of the drug culture, welfare recipients and elderly, will stay put.

19. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

I think once word get's out that some people are leaving the cities after (and if) shtf, you will see them leaving in mass and invading the countryside and I don't think they will be too nice by that time. They will be looking to take what they need. I would think they will be out of everything and be starving and they will have no manner's or respect for any kind of correct social behavior (hell, some don't now) and they will be big trouble for even the most prepared people. The biggest problem for folk's like us here on this site is having anough ammo I think. That may sound stupid, but I really feel that to be true. The prepared are either going to have to be out of the way and unseen or they will have to be an army ready to throw serious lead down range at very large hoard's of people. My plan is to stay out of the way as long as possible.........and then start shooting when need be.

20. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

The masses think the government will look after them as they have the intire life. I am new to this live in the city and know that I have to look out for my familys well being.I will shelter in place then assess situation so at some point will need to leave the city to feed family after the supply runs out.
    Barracade ourselves in turn home into fortress
    Pray for the best work together get through what ever it is.