THE COLONY on Discovery Channel

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by SurvivalNut, Jul 26, 2009.

1. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Anyone else watch the fist episode of THE COLONY on the Discovery Channel?

(edited: it is a reality show where a haphazard group of post apocolyptic "survivors" bands together to form a colony in desolated California and faces food, water shortages, raiders and technical and leadership challenges. I think it is a 10 week series.)

I missed it, but caught (I think) all of it online.

Here are my first observations:

1/ Absence of a designated leader, quorum or decsion making/prioritizing process

2/ Lack of priorites (temporary electricity over water, food, security or gardening. Lack of near/far term goals.

3/ Letting outsiders in without a clear consensus, vetting or quarantine (wasn't it a worldwide epidemic?)

4/ Failure to appoint job bosses (food. medical, sanitation, cooking, agriculture, security, water, barter, etc)

5/ Allowing the techies to run loose and have fun inventing at the expense of laying in food and supplies before they can go outside and play.

6/ Lack of a rationing plan. If the nerds burn up all the batteries, wood, propane or acetalyne making toys, will they have left enough for making a plow, weapons or structural improvements?

7/ How important is electricity or can lighting be more of a hinderance/beacon to unwanted guests?

8/ Lack of patrols. Locate the strength and capabilities of the biker mzb's. Lack of a defensive plan.

I have the next episode set to tivo, may have missed an intermediate one, so forgive me if I am not caught up.

Agree, disagree?

The Colony : Videos : Discovery Channel

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll watch it and get back to you.

3. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

Have not seen it but SurvivalNut raises some very good points. Maybe they are experimenting to see if their is a natural leader.

4. rwc1969

rwc1969 Well-Known Member

I think that show is pseudo-sociological. Too much drama and doesn't depict reality in any way, shape or form.

Hooking up all those batteries and devoting every resource available to find a way to keep them charged. Is lighting that imortant? I like the way they've created a bull-headed blue-collar guy and pitted him against the white-collar stiffs. When they went to the streets to steal food I just about lost it. LOL! They would all be dead in a week in a "reality" situation. I think it will be funny to see what stupid idea they come up with for that delivery truck.

5. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

The colony

Yeah, I was amazed when they let in outsiders, gave them the grand tour and took them in as the "moral and civilized thing to do" and then went out looted some poor buggers conveniently camped in the open and chased them off with sticks.

I say let the bikers come knockin' next time.

Absolutely too much time devoted to technology.

The drama, strife and lack of leadership is realistic.

When the food runs out, so do they.

Never thought I would vote for the MZB's

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I KNEW some of the cast looked familiar... complete & utter HollyWEIRD bullcrap

Michael Raines

S2 is supposedly filming... I'm fervently hoping they all catch staph & this series dies of cribdeath

7. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I watched a bit of it. I'd rather they dropped off survivorman in an abandoned urban area and watch him survive instead. Probably far more educational.

8. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

AGREED!

Excellent plot idea!

9. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

IMO the hurricane aftermath survival episode he did was very good