Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the challenges you think we have as single preppers? How do you overcome these challenges?

I think single preppers who are also single parents face the hardest challenges because we are often at a disadvantage financially. I try to overcome it by being smarter and using free preps whenever possible. I admit I am a scavenger.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
To me, I think that the biggest problem would be in the "two-person-jobs" that need to be done. In my case, on the weekend I needed to fix my fence. The problem was that I only have two hands, I needed to hold my fence in place while adding fresh boards to strengthen the gates. I did come up with a solution, but, it was more difficult than just getting one extra set of hands.

What I did was place a piece of 2x4 on the ground, wedge it against the bottom of the gate, drive my Jeep tire onto the 2x4 so that it would not move, then I ran my winch-line to the top of the gate to hold it where I needed it to be, then I marked the new boards, cut them and screwed them into place... I could have asked a neighbor to help, but, one of them was having a birthday party for their child - the other two closest neighbors were not around.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
One of the problems I see is that my FD stores are in #10 cans. Each can holds about 10 meals and with vegetables/snacks I can see 5 or 6 cans being open at the same time. That makes for possibly 60 meals or 20 days needing to keep moisture out so they do not spoil. Sure there are MRE’s but I looked into buying something that I would never have to rotate or worry about, it would just be there for me. It might take me opening one can at a time and that is ‘food’ until it is gone, then on to the next. I am pretty used to this by eating out of the garden and cooking once a week.

With the garden it is: What’s for dinner? String beans, squash and something while they are producing. Don’t forget at least one tomato and cucumber a day for a snack! Heck, I eat green beans every day for what seems like months in the summer! Cooking, I make a big pot of something on Sunday and that is the food for the week. Say we have stew this week. I make it pretty bland and add something each day so it is not all the exact same. Maybe peppers one day on noodles. Rice and extra garlic the next, the stew is actually just the main base. This way I spend maybe 10 minutes cooking dinner every night instead of an hour prepping and cleaning up. If I am tired or in a hurry I eat it as it sets, cold. We actually have folks at work who will not eat leftovers or eat the same thing twice in a row, ‘makes them sick just thinking about it’. I watched one person dumping a bottle of water down the drain and questioned him. He said he opened it yesterday and it ‘just tastes stale after being open (but with the top on) overnight’. They cringe when they see me having the same thing every day all week. :-})

Then there is the issue of work or chores when you are the only one around. Having been a bachelor as well as working alone for a long time I have worked out most of the issues with doing things alone. Say putting a piece of plastic on a big hole in the roof on a windy, rainy night. Just get all your supplies up and ready, spread out along the path needed. Start nails where you feel they will be needed, maybe a few extra just in case. Start at one end and make your way across fastening as you go. I have loaded some pretty large rocks into my pickup when I was doing masonry. Leverage is your friend! I guess you can call it using my brain more than my back. Now, I am forced to use the brain as the back isn’t as young as it thinks it is sometimes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts