This project is one of the longest running projects we have ever had here on the homestead. It began about 4 years ago and we are just now finishing it in time for this falls harvest. When we began digging way back when we were simply going to dig in to the side of the hill and then once we had it dig in were going to frame in and brace it etc. Things did not go according to our plans however and the folks that had been helping dig got a bit crazy about a year and a half ago and simple built a cliff rather than a cave. This made for a huge change in plans ... I will begin the pics from when we first began digging. The pics are older and i am on a different computer so i can not direct link some of the pics but to give an idea of the process i will post a few links to them from our farm picture galleries. http://www.kodakgallery.com/feelfreefarmproject/main/rootcellarkitchenbuildin this was the ground breaking picture. The young guy in the picture is a great brother and is probably the best working person we have ever had visit here. http://www.kodakgallery.com/feelfreefarmproject/main/pandorasclan_visiting_earth_oven this pic was a few days into the digging process. The bale of straw sitting there was for our first earth oven build we ever did here. http://www.kodakgallery.com/feelfreefarmproject/main/newbabies_kitchen_garden05 here it is progressing nicely. http://www.kodakgallery.com/feelfreefarmproject/main/may6th_2006 the cave, in this pic was 8-9 foot into the side of the hill. This was shortly before the folks that were here shaved it off to a cliff instead. One they did that we were sort of at a loss as to how to proceed with it in order to finish off the root cellar, we decided to simply let it sit n rest for almost two years Over last winter we pondered just what we were going to do with it. We had this gaping would in the side of the hill and we have no tractor or other earth moving equipment besides a shovel and wheel barrow. The earth taken from the hill had been moved for whatever reason to odd places on the land and resembled something like ski moguls but in really bad places. We had some pieces n parts of various old chick incubators (what the chicken coop ,feed shed , tool shed and part of the goat pasture is made from)still left over and we had the spare parts left of the ones we had already used laying around as well. We decided that although it was going to make a whole lot of manual strenuous labor we would have to build the root cellar out of those materials and some others we had laying around and then manually move the earth back around it once it was built. Although this is not an ideal way of going about things as it is very labor intensive as well as time consuming ,we needed a large root cellar for this years crops. The ways we had been doing things was simply no longer enough for storage of our produce. ..