The best 50 cents you'll invest in prepping.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Magus, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

A simple, cheap fire kit.
    A manual pencil sharpener!
    It creates thin, dry [when it gets deeper.] shavings from dead twigs that ignite with minimal effort.
    K I'm done.

2. Balls004

Balls004 Not new, just older

Simple, cheap and something I hadn't thought of. Nice tip!

3. zombieresponder

zombieresponder random gibberish

I carry a pocket knife. Actually two, but one uses disposable utility blades.

4. Balls004

Balls004 Not new, just older

If I've got pants on, I've got a pocket knife. It's still a great idea. Save the knife for heavier tasks.

5. jimLE

jimLE Member

here's what i use,in which,i've already saved some shavings with it

Attached Files:

6. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I have several of those compact pencil sharpeners. Never thought about the shavings as a fire starter.

Good one!

7. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

Boom! Pencil Sharpener...

[​IMG]

8. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

*BOWS* It came to me in a dream. :p

9. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

A pencil sharpener is a lot easier than cutting feather sticks with a knife, I thought about the kind with the cover like JimLE posted when I first read this thread, but before I read this thread I never clued in that one would be a good fire starting aid

Magus, Thank you for another quick and inexpensive tip :cool:

10. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

If one packed cedar sticks or if they still make them cedar shafted pencils [to make maps and notes]cedar erupts into flame pretty easily. just an added thought.

11. jimLE

jimLE Member

i was keeping the shavings in a 4oz cup..then i remembered some small containers with lids,that i had bought the other day.and of course.i now keep the shavings and pencil sharpener together..

Attached Files:

12. Tactic12

Tactic12 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post, so simple, yet very overlooked! I went to store and got a great deal with the back to school specials lol. Cheers!

13. Idaholady

Idaholady Member

That's a great idea; I'll pick up a couple and throw them in my bag. In fact I'll take the idea to the next prep class and let others know too.

14. jimLE

jimLE Member

these are what i've been working on time to time since my first post in this thread..pencil on left.and a wooden dowel on the right..

Attached Files:

15. jimLE

jimLE Member

here's something that'll help things go faster.just put pencil or what ever into a drill.and you'll get a lot of shavings real fast..

Attached Files:

16. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Jim,
    I think is more for a "Backwoods" kind of tip.

If you have an electric drill handy, you'll MOST LIKELY not need pencil shavings to start a fire.

17. jimLE

jimLE Member

:D country all the way here..

Attached Files:

18. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

Like it. Good thinking.

19. offgridcooker

offgridcooker Well-Known Member

Had not thought of using a pencil sharpener for fire starter,
    thanks

20. Kodeman

Kodeman Kodeman

Magus, so glad you posted this. I did this in the mid-60's, preparing for my first deer hunt, as a teenager. Info on survival was pretty much only found in military manuals and prepping was only considered for bomb shelters. I read of a simple but effective solution to waterproof the shavings. This may seem obsolete, now, but back then this was very effective. You fill an empty 16ga.shell with the shavings and put this in an empty 12ga. shell. I still have this in my daypack with a second one containing wooden matches. I enjoy all your post.
    Kodeman