Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Retired AF NCO and within the next year I'm planning on moving with my family to a more secure location. We live in Oahu Hawaii now, and with all the craziness going on, this is not were I want my family to be.
We have talked about San Antonio TX, maybe the hill country area, like Mico Tx. Close to the city yet far enough just in case. We would like several acres we can prep with, and I can set up for the future for my daughters.
Can I hear some wisdom from you that have been at this a while longer? What do you recommend? Pros- cons of San Antonio area, etc.
Thanks in advance for your inputs!

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
Talk about a change of scenery!

I guess the first question would be why S.A.? I would guess that it might be a steep learning curve at first, should the SHTF sooner than you were ready for it. I've got family in the city, but knew some ranchers around Mountain Home, and yes it's nice, but it's also a hard place to survive too.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Look at history… the Alamo is located there (for a reason). Geographically the terrain is indefensible. Water is a big problem, you’re not going to grow a lot of crops. The land is suited for livestock and then only when you have “years” of plentiful rain.

No native american tribe made San Antonio their “cultural center” because the ground was indefensible. Many fought over the ground for hunting rights but that was about it. If their enemy had a few more bullets or bows, they lost and the enemy won.

On the other hand (these days) it’s a good place to hear great music while you wait for the end. :) just sayin'...

·
random gibberish
1,061 Posts
I would not ever want to live in a major population center. I don't even like visiting most of them....chewing broken glass is about as appealing. The cons are going to be about the same as anywhere else that's similar. Traffic, more mental midgets, etc..

Unless there is some factor that actually necessitates living there, your best bet is probably going to be somewhere close enough for a day trip, but not so close that they have any direct legal effect on your property. Avoid HOA's as well, unless you happen to think that city/state/federal governments aren't enough. Without some more specific details on what your goals are for the property and how that fits into your life, it's not really possible to make anything more than a very general recommendation.

As an example, if you want to have a few chickens for fresh eggs it may or may not be illegal within the city limits of San Antonio to do so. Even if it is legal in S.A., it may not be within a particular HOA afflicted neighborhood. Some places may allow 4 hens, but no roosters(meaning no sustainability of the system). Some HOA's will even limit what you can plant in your back yard, which translates to no gardens. Just food for thought.

Reactions: terri9630

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
Pros:
Lots of retired AF in the area
PX privileges
Decent school district
Higher elevation than SA means slightly cooler weather in the summer
Close to SA if you wish to commute

Cons:
Possible water issues (Edwards Aquifer)
Likely high land prices (lots are very expensive in Boerne)
On the dry side of IH 35
While you'd be 40 miles from downtown, you'd only be about 10 miles from the outer loop

Using the earth map on google, it appears the lake is down quite a bit. You're also just across the lake from a big development. If I was going to choose the Hill Country, I'd look for something along a Medina-Kerrville-Fredericksburg line. I wouldn't go west of there due to less rainfall.

If you're intending to develop a homestead, I suggest looking further east or northeast where it gets a bit more rain.

While land prices are nowhere near Hawaii levels, close in to a metro area usually mean higher land prices. At 30 miles from Austin, raw land is running ~$10K/ acre. Whereas if you go another 20 or 30 miles out, it will fall to $1000-$1500.

A lot depends on if you intend to work and what type of work you do. If you're in airplane maintenance, I'd look real hard Fredericksburg since they do a lot of airplane upgrades there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really open to options. I was thinking SA mainly for the veteran ease, and job availability starting out.
Guess I can be a bit more clear on what I want/ need.
I will have my wife and one daughter, and one off to college. I want a couple of acres to plant some crops, not necessarily sustainable but to barter with. Also, raise some chickens, rabbits, Eric. I would like to buy enough land to be able to give my daughters a few acres each once they decide to settle down. I want to be close enough to a population center for supplies, convenience etc. but far enough to have time to secure the homestead or bug out if need be. I would also like to secure a more secured location to bug out to. I got exp with weapons, explosives, and I'm working on learning metal working. I'm a JROTC instructor now, and have good Ed. Psychology etc... I'm also a pastor.
What other areas in TX do you guys recommend. I have a year to set this up. Then wherever I end up I'll have to make it work.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
East Texas is nice. Good rainfall, milder temps than SA. The hill country has a lot of rock which makes gardening challenging. There's Barksdale AFB over in Shreveport, LA, just over the border. Where I live I can be on I20 in a few minutes & be in Dallas in 1.5 hours or Shreveport/Bossier City in an hour. Mercy Ships & Youth With A Mission (YWAM) are here. There's first Monday trades day, the largest in the country, down the road in Canton. There are several cities with populations of around 100K which is nice for medical, shopping, jobs, etc but not too big. Lots of general aviation & American Airlines flies out of the Gregg County airport, American Eagle out of Tyler Pounds Field. Go a little more north if you want snow every year. LeTourneau University is here as is University of Texas & several junior colleges. Lots of lakes. Lots of wooded land available reasonably priced. Good luck in your search!

·
I love the smell of Argon in the morning
2,850 Posts
I'm a Retired AF NCO and within the next year I'm planning on moving with my family to a more secure location. We live in Oahu Hawaii now, and with all the craziness going on, this is not were I want my family to be.
We have talked about San Antonio TX, maybe the hill country area, like Mico Tx. Close to the city yet far enough just in case. We would like several acres we can prep with, and I can set up for the future for my daughters.
Can I hear some wisdom from you that have been at this a while longer? What do you recommend? Pros- cons of San Antonio area, etc.
Thanks in advance for your inputs!
I'm curious, why Texas?

Also, what about the world situation are you most concerned about?

BTW welcome to the forum!

·
855 Posts
welcome to texas if you move here..

i suggest getting a texas map if you can.and get a red marker as well..then use the red marker to X out ALL the large and major cities.on account i believe that being within 150 miles of one is a bad idea in a shtf situation.then pick the smaller cities/towns.and then choose a city or town thats at least some what remote from the primary highways.then locate some place thats more remote then the town.make sure the property has good soil for gardens.also look into water on the property..like ponds and creeks that are water fed by under ground springs..

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
One of the best things to do is to take a bit of time and travel to the areas you're considering. Talk to the locals and the schools to get an idea of how well you'd like the area. You can always rent a place for 6 months until you reach a decision. In my mind, you want to be far enough out that commuting is a chore so that the town/city in that area will be more fully developed as far as being self sufficient. In other words, I would avoid the bedroom communities that are close to a big city.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Excellent suggestions!
welcome to texas if you move here..

i suggest getting a texas map if you can.and get a red marker as well..then use the red marker to X out ALL the large and major cities.on account i believe that being within 150 miles of one is a bad idea in a shtf situation.then pick the smaller cities/towns.and then choose a city or town thats at least some what remote from the primary highways.then locate some place thats more remote then the town.make sure the property has good soil for gardens.also look into water on the property..like ponds and creeks that are water fed by under ground springs..
And one excellent answer is......
East Texas is nice. Good rainfall, milder temps than SA. The hill country has a lot of rock which makes gardening challenging. There's Barksdale AFB over in Shreveport, LA, just over the border. Where I live I can be on I20 in a few minutes & be in Dallas in 1.5 hours or Shreveport/Bossier City in an hour. Mercy Ships & Youth With A Mission (YWAM) are here. There's first Monday trades day, the largest in the country, down the road in Canton. There are several cities with populations of around 100K which is nice for medical, shopping, jobs, etc but not too big. Lots of general aviation & American Airlines flies out of the Gregg County airport, American Eagle out of Tyler Pounds Field. Go a little more north if you want snow every year. LeTourneau University is here as is University of Texas & several junior colleges. Lots of lakes. Lots of wooded land available reasonably priced. Good luck in your search!

·
Not so new
581 Posts
If Texas is a must I agree that Eastern Texas is best.The further away from the "border" the better.Corse I like the Tn,Ky area.Outside of Ft Campbell in Ky you have Clarksville,if you want "out" there are plenty of land that is very reasonable schools are good too.Again I know I'm bias on the area in Ky as land is cheaper and great for growing a garden,water etc.For a real BOL I think it's ldeal,but my needs are different. I say visit a place and ask lot and lots of questions,if it doesn't work it's not written in stone you can't change your mind later:wave:

·
Texan
5,951 Posts
In my book, any part of Texas is good - some places are just better than others.

Mico is a nice place, and close to a large lake but you may want to consider a place outside the big loop, west of 173. San Antonio is growing fast enough that it will be creeping up on you before you know it.

The area along 281 between San Antonio and Austin is also worth checking out.

·
855 Posts
If Texas is a must I agree that Eastern Texas is best.The further away from the "border" the better.Corse I like the Tn,Ky area.Outside of Ft Campbell in Ky you have Clarksville,if you want "out" there are plenty of land that is very reasonable schools are good too.Again I know I'm bias on the area in Ky as land is cheaper and great for growing a garden,water etc.For a real BOL I think it's ldeal,but my needs are different. I say visit a place and ask lot and lots of questions,if it doesn't work it's not written in stone you can't change your mind later:wave:
i dont think being that close to any military base is a good idea in a shtf situation..on account thier gonna cordon off the base and any town/city within a certain distance.and declare martial law..and anyone within that area will have to answer to them..and whats the chances of them wanting what you have?mainly food,drink(s) first aid supplies weapons and ammo.right along with everything else of value to them..im not saying that will happen.but yet,thats a possibility i'd rather not take..

·
855 Posts
Country Living..thats one reason i love it where i am..east texan here.. :)

Reactions: txcatlady

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Cool Clear Water

Of course it's been mentioned already, but it's not always that simple. I'm a big fan of having spring water and gravity feed water systems or just a well that's not hundreds of feet deep. Water, to me, is the most important factor in getting any land, no mater where you decide to move. If springs are available, being able to get water rights on them, that's important as well, so before you buy any "Dream property", you need to check out what water you will have and your rights to it.

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
Water rights in Texas are a little different than in most western states, Viking. It ain't Oregon, thank God.

You can pretty much pump all you want out of a well as long as you don't go crazy with it and start affecting your neighbors. For a household and a big garden, you'll be fine. Now if you want to open a water park or some other high usage facility and pull out a bunch of water, you have to do some research and probably get a legal opinion.

Rainwater/storm water can be captured as can water in intermittent creeks as long as it's for a reasonable use. The idea is to allow folks to store reasonable amounts of water for use as stock tanks, etc. It doesn't mean you can capture all of it and deprive folks downstream from their usage of it.

During the big fire at Bastrop State Park a few years back, the firefighting helicopters were filling up using folk's stock tanks. Nobody got pissed or sued since it was a very reasonable usage and the helicopters didn't take a bunch from any one tank. They'd fill up once or twice and then go somewhere else to fill up.

Once the water reaches a permanent waterway however, licensing is required.

Reactions: txcatlady

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Advice for moving to Texas? Bring your own ammo and if you are a liberal running from high taxes that you voted in please stay where you are. Don't move here and vote for the same thing all over again. Try California.

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
San Antonio Sucks!!!!!!!! Moved my family there in 2001 and it took me two years to leave! I moved away without a job just to get the hell out of there! No more comment on this issue, good luck with your move. However, New Braunfels is nice if you like live music and floating the river..Stay away from SA.

Reactions: LastOutlaw
1 - 20 of 30 Posts