Tax Refund Real Easy

Discussion in 'Money, Investing & Precious Metals' started by kyfarmer, Jan 14, 2011.

1. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Hey ya'all the 600,000 of ya that uncle sam will offer debit cards to as tax refunds, but wait yes you will have to pay those pesky fee's. Who don't think this is another frickin wank job by them and the bank's to steal more of what we are getting less of every day and when we do get it, it's worth a lot less every day. :mad:

2. thunderdan19

thunderdan19 Shoots to Thrill

Hmmm, the gubment issuing debit cards as refunds screams, "spend that $#!+, do it now, don't save it!" It stinks of desperation and even more gvmt irresponsibility... Is that legit?

3. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

This year they seem to be getting overly eager to collect taxes. Yesterday I got a call from the guy who did my taxes last year. He was trying to get me to make an appointment to come in and have my taxes done. He said there's been a lot of changes to the way they do taxes now. I told him that I can't come in because I don't have my W2's yet. He said it didn't matter and that all I needed was my last paystub and they can process the paperwork from that. I've never heard of being able to do taxes that way before. I've also never got a call from them before, despite going there for the last couple of years to get my taxes done.

4. nj_m715

nj_m715 www.veggear.blogspot.com

I don't that has anything to do with Uncle Sam, maybe your accountant spent too much in Vegas and needs to drum up some work. Maybe you have an EZ return and he doesn't want to lose you to a free service. Who knows?

I should be getting a good size return and I could really use the money for some bills. I can't wait for our forms to come in. I'll be knocking on the door the next day.

I also think the tax laws did NOT change. The Bush changes were set to expire, but for the most part were kept inplace, so no changes happened. If so, why are they asking people who itemize to hold off? There should be o changes to make to the computers if the old laws are still in place, right? I think most people who itemize get a refund. How much does the gov stand to make by holding our money for a few extra months? Hummm, I wonder why they are asking that we "hold off". Like the say on TV " It's my money and I want it NOW".

5. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I generally get a nice chunk back but we usually wait until March to go in to get ours done because ours takes longer than the normal 20 minute appointment so our tax guy asks that we wait until he is not as busy so can give us two back to back appointments.
    I have no interest in a debit card because we are just paying off one bill...and we hope it is enough to cover this one bill!

6. Elinor0987

Elinor0987 Supporting Member

That could be. Then again, the state of Illinois just raised their income tax from 3% to 5% and is one of the top states in the U.S. with the worst accounting problems and budget deficits. I can't help but wonder if maybe that has anything to do with it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  7. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

This year we're making sure to do ours ASAP. If the dollar has a sudden sharp decline we don't trust that the government won't hold on to tax returns. They already think it's their money they're giving us anyway...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

to EVERYBODY: Do your tax returns as FAST as possible, I cannot emphasize that enough! :eek:

9. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

i got mine done today with taxact. i agree. do it fast.
    we are getting a big refund which i am gonna use to do more stock up, gonna get supplies for solar panels etc and buy me some silver. :)

10. tsrwivey

tsrwivey Supporting Member

Wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure you don't get a big refund next year. All your doing is loaning the govt money for free & it would really suck to get an IOU from the federal govt. Plus that extra money every month could be put to good use on some "necessities". :2thumb:

11. The_Blob

that IMHO is exactly how you should calculate your withholding, but most people (this forum excluded of course) are too lazy/apathetic to do it.

12. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

thanks for the tip. we got this unexpected big refund cuz of kids and what they call the pay to work credit?
    i am going to put some of this away on hold as well.
    I am waiting with bated breath to see if congress et al will indeed defy the president and move to limit the credit limit thing. It will be interesting but at the same time i am not counting on anyone up there to do the courageous thing either. sigh
    kinda feel schizo about it. lol

13. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Well, if they would include all of the extras I get back that I don't pay in in our paycheck I would gladly go without the once a year refund!! This is the one time of year that it PAYS to have so many children! The rest of the year the kids are like vacuum cleaners and just suck the money out of us! LOL!

14. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Maybe the movement to not file taxes if you owe them is taking hold...and the CPA agency is feeling that and has less appointments and needs the business??

I've never heard of a CPA drumming up business either!!

Ours works Saturdays and nights!!

15. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

:2thumb:
    My list is the same as yours! lol (Although we're flirting with a rain harvesting set-up, too.)

I agree, it's good to not have too much withheld in the first place. Only reason why we have a good one this year has to do with a house sale/purchase.

16. nj_m715

I agree. I try to break every year, but this year we put up a few solar panels and we get back 1/3 of the price from the feds. Normally I don't care if I have to pay a little. I'd rather do that than let those bastards sit on my money for a year.

17. The_Blob

have you owed, even a little, many times? I'm curious, because a trivia-buddy that works for the IRS (computers, NOT in collections) says that it places you in 'the short list' (which seems to be getting larger every year :rolleyes: ) for potentially getting an audit... :dunno: have you gotten audited?

18. nj_m715

Once in awhile I do. If it were up to me I'd keep it all, invest it, make the interest and pay them when the bill comes in, but most people are not responsible enough to save it. Some of my friend brag about getting back a couple grand and tell me to find a new accountant when I tell them I'm getting $250. They don't understand that someone else got to sit on THEIR money for over a year. It's all about the withholdings not the accountant. My accountant is a former IRS worker so she what will throw up flags. So far, so good, no audits.

19. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We'll be doing ours the minute we get all the paperwork.