Tattler canning lids

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by bunkerbob, Jun 30, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I purchased 3 dozen each, of the wide mouth and regular reusable 'Tattler' canning jar lid system as suggested by UncleJoe. It consists of a plastic lid and a rubber ring, you use the standard metal rings. I made a traditional blackberry jam with sugar and processed for 30 min in a boiling water bath. I will do a product review when they have cooled and then about 1 month from now.

Update, the lids seem to be tight and sealed as good as the common type, used fingernail pressure to test. Now I will wait, hopefully in about a month and retest, unless I get a urge to eat some more blackberry jam sooner.

Update 7-2, one out of the 5 lids failed to seal, actually the first one in years that has not sealed while canning. I am very careful to check the rim for cracks and chips, and wipe it down after filling with a clean damp cloth prior to putting on lids. I also put the lids and rings in boiling water prior to sealing to soften and sterilize them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I have heard of them but never used them. Let everyone know how they worked out.

3. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

I have been wondering about them. Thinking about getting some myself. Keep us posted.

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I posted updates in the original post.

5. Woodwife

Woodwife Old Wives' Tale

I've been using Tattler lids for a couple of months now.

I really like them, so far they've been very dependable. I've reused some o the lids and rings several times already and they're still sealing great. I just need to see what happens a year from now to the jars that are put away.

[​IMG]

6. lanahi

lanahi Well-Known Member

They have some excellent reviews. I did not see it, but Jackie Clay from Backwoods Home magazine also recommended them highly in one of her articles.

Tattler does point out one difference between those and regular lids:
    Screw band on jar loosely. Center lid on jar and hold in place with finger while you finish tightening the metal band, THEN TURN BACK ¼ INCH. Product must be allowed to vent during processing. Process as per instructions for various foods. TIGHTEN METAL BAND FIRMLY IMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL FROM CANNER.

The failure to seal may be due to not turning it back that 1/4 inch so it can vent. Also, you have to have the right head space:
    Shallow Thoughts from Iowa: My experience with Tattler Reusable Canning Lids

Overall, canning lids worked great

Adventures in Self Reliance: Tattler Reusable Canning Lids

I have three dozen of them but will use regular lids before I use the Tattler's, since they are more for the future after SHTF.

7. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Excellent post! Very informative. I might give those a try on a few things. 1 out of 5 failing kind of put me off but I'll never know what'll happen until I try!

I went to a thrift store the other day and bought 2 big boxes of canning jars with lids for $15.00!!

8. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

Nice find, IWU! I need to get together with a gal pal from work to pick up a roomful of canning jars, complete with contents. She's cleaning out her grandma's place, so I have no idea what's in the jars, but they'll feed the dog and chickens, if not fit for people food. :)

9. BuggingIn

BuggingIn Well-Known Member

On another forum I frequent, there was a hint on how to save flats for reuse. Most of the failures from re-using canning lids come from bending the lid when you remove it from the sealed jar. The hint was to place the unopened jar in a pan of water and let it heat slowly until the contents are hot...that causes the seal to unseal, without having to bend the lid. Then the flat can be removed with finger pressure, and the lid can be used again. Of course, this wouldn't work with things like jams and jellies, but for foods that will be heated before serving anyway, this provides a way to start the reheating process AND remove the lid easily.

I haven't tried this trick yet, but plan to soon. I would think you'd need to take a good look at the sealing compound, too, and smooth it down while it's still warm, if there's a thinned line from the jar rim.

I've bought a dozen of the Tattle lids, too, but haven't tried them yet as I have plenty of regular flats. I do need to try them out so I don't have a learning curve when it's essential to have every jar seal.

10. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

Great idea---I don't reuse my lids but if desperate I would. (have 50 boxes bought for later)
    But I do save them now for other things...like my cornmeal, pancake mix, and flour are in canning jars now..less space in the cabinet and air doesn't get to it...many canister sets do not have air tight seals.

11. netandtim

netandtim Well-Known Member

Wanted to update this thread. I've been using Tattler lids for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. I'm opening up and using jars from a year ago. No seal failures so far in storage. Had a couple seal failures in my first couple of batches but that was 100% operator error. Failed to tighten seals after removing from canner. I use both Tattlers and regular lids. Regular lids on stuff that might get given away/ leave my house - mainly jams, jellies, pickles. Real food gets canned with Tattlers.

Tattler came out with a change to their processing instructions in mid-May 2012. Basically, they changed the requirement to 'turn back 1/4 INCH after tightening'. Below is copied from the email I received directly from Tattler outlining the changes.

We are e-mailing past customers to inform you of slight changes we made to our instructions in late 2011. We found that many customers were over-tightening the metal screw band prior to processing, which can cause excessive pressure to become trapped in the jar, thus causing potential problems with the seal. Please pay particular attention to Step #5 (the only major change we made) and #7 when canning with your reusable canning lids.

4. Wipe top of jar after filling. Place lid and rubber ring combination on jar.
    5. Screw band on jar loosely. Center lid on jar and hold in place with finger while tightening the metal screw band finger-tip tight. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Product must be allowed to vent during processing.
    6. Process as per instructions for various foods.
    7. TIGHTEN METAL BAND FIRMLY IMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL FROM CANNER.
    8. When jars have cooled, remove metal band and lift gently on the lid to determine if any failure has occurred. Sealed jars may be stored without metal bands if desired.

12. kappydell

kappydell Well-Known Member

Im glad Im not the only one who learned to re-use lids....grandma always was very careful when she removed the lids so she could re-use them. She also re-used the red rubber rings with her other kind of lids. I was amazed to find you can still buy the red jar rubbers....the canning instructors have fits, but nonetheless this is a good thing to know even if it is 'not recommended'.

13. Riverdale

Riverdale Well-Known Member

Going to have to get some of these :D

14. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

This is a great thread! I will be getting some of the Tattler lids now. I was too afraid to try them before. Thanks.

15. LilJo

LilJo New Member

Hi, new to this forum. I bought a few of the Tattler lids about a year ago to test them out. So far I have not had a failure. When finances permit, want to buy a "bunch." I regularly re-use my regular canning lids with good success. As somebody mentioned, the key seems to be taking them off very carefully. Tip I received was to use a spoon at the very tip of the jar and turn gently so as not to bend the lid, but I like the heating idea, I'll try that--when I'm not in a hurry :)

16. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

I've had mixed success. Virtually never have a tin lid failure, but way too many Tattler lid failures.

17. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Well-Known Member

I picked up 200 of these assorted lids and rings from The Marketplace for 139.00 including shipping.

18. siletz

siletz Member

I have switched almost completely over to the Tattler lids. If you have a facebook account, you can "like" them on facebook and they post when they have a special sale on their website. I was able to buy them at just over $6 a dozen, so it won't take long before they begin to pay for themselves. It took a little getting used to when first using them, but it's not hard. I can a lot each year and these lids are a great way to be more prepared.

19. partdeux

partdeux Senior Member

My most precious product, bloody mary mix, was canned using tattlers. Two out 18(?) did not seal. That's way too high a loss rate for that product!

Followed all my usual initial canning routines, wiping down the rims, putting on the hot lids (and seals), tightening it to the same pressure I use for flats. Normal pressure canning process, let pressure come off naturally, opened the lid to the canner, and following tattler's instructions, tweaked the rings a tiny bit... To about the same torque as initial.

20. siletz

siletz Member

Yes, I would agree that 2 out of 18 is way too high a failure rate. I have not had any more seal failures with tattlers than I do with regular lids. I am not an expert on this, but one thing that I noticed about what you did was that you tightened them at the beginning before processing. They need to be kept loose during processing, and then tightened down after coming out of the canner. This lets the air escape during processing. Maybe you tightened them too tight at the beginning. I watched a youtube video put out by tattler recently that I thought had good insight into the differences in processing between the metal lids and the tattlers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byY4rF7hoxo[/ame]

I would encourage you to not stop after one failed attempt. When things calm down a little over the winter, try canning water in them to see if you can get the hang of them without wasting food.