Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Tanning

You doing great man, got to learn from some were. Practices makes perfect. I love to skin myself. But would suggest in getting a two handle fleshing knife. You will be able to accomplish more. And less stress on the wrist your usen with the single handle flesh knife. Looks like your fleshing beam/log is great. I always flesh them as soon as I can preferable after I skin them and there still warm the flesh and membrane scrap off much easier to me. Just make sure any and all fatty and flesh is removed if not after the tanning the spots that still have membrane will slip "hair" the chemical will not be ablt to penetrate. After I stretch and salt. Then I tan. But i do alot of small hides ***** fox yote and bobcat. I just finshed a bobcat a couple weeks ago pulled it from my wire stretcher and left it for one second and came back to start tanning it and my hunting dogs had grabed it and ran, chewed the face pretty good. I bout had a heart attack it was the biggest and best bobcat i had ever had.
But your doing a great job man.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey man just watched the final video. Good. If your wanting to get it more flexible of softed like you thought it would be. Doesnt take much, just use your corner of your deck post or the bannister rail top portion rake the hide back and forth all over it will loosen the fibers and became pliable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts