Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy huh?
Several people I know with oil/gasfield businesses are down to skeleton crews just to keep the shops nailed down. Thing is, for guys getting laid off, there isn't exactly another industry that is humming along right now either. Sure, ag. isn't bad but... Building and everything else is at a standstill.

IIRC both your jobs had a petol component, so hope you guys are alright.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Hmmm ...

I got canned from my job last October, found another job slinging steel close to home, but, $9/hr less than I was making. I started that job Nov 11 (Ya, Remembrance Day) and I am slowly wasting my savings away.....

I am in talks with a couple of friends about setting up a business as partners - still working on those details, but, as we each read the news, this new business might just be able to fill a need that others might not have noticed yet ... hoping that we will be able to make it happen, but, there are lots of hoops we will need to get through (including CSIS certs) to move forward.

How is the AG-business in the north-end of this province? Are you weathering the winter well?

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would have been another phenomenal year for cattle, unfortunately the price of hay skyrocketed and was in short supply around here, so it turned out just O.K. in the end. Weather has been really mild lately, so that has helped with the feed a lot.

Fuel prices did help :eek:

Just heard about a few more guys I know getting laid off today, haven't seen this for a loooong time. The thing is, situation doesn't look very temporary, so it isn't the typical lay-off until there is more work situation.:(

Good luck with the new venture if it seems sound, there is always money to be made in any economy if a person is smart about it.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Lots of amazing hay down here in the south end of the province, I just loaded my truck-n-trailer with some prime hay for the two horses, so prime that I was stopped by others asking where it came from, they could see the goodness from 1/2 mile away. Don't know if a road-trip would be worth it for you

·
Premium Member
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We will be fine for feed in the end, just made things a bit more complicated and making it was more costly.

Even with the price of fuel, hauling hay long distances is just so darned $$$.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
It definitely looks slower, no direct patch stuff this year, the Ag component is going great this last season, our hay crop was good, Like Vance said right around here the hay did well, Cattle are where they should have been all along.
A lot of guys that I know in the patch are still working, but they would be the last to leave.
The lazy, it's not my job types have been sent packing. Should be an interesting spring.

Good luck on your new venture Vance we will have to get together for a beer or two sometime soon.

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,674 Posts
I'm glad CBH beat me to this. I was going to ask about the Canadian economy.
Mexico is still free falling, big surprise.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Well the Canadian economy is a strange animal, it is mildly independent, but it is very resource driven,
In Alberta where CBH, Vance and Myself live, we never really saw the 2001, or 2008 down turns as harshly as the US, we took a kick in the teeth agriculturally, (mad cow, some say in retaliation for our then prime minister's handling of the twin towers)
but for the most part the economy has been pretty healthy.
Alberta is, oil driven, while we have a very strong agricultural sector, most people make their living as a spin off of oil.
Our economy has been artificially high for almost 30 years, now having missed the last 3 correction, I kind of think we (Alberta, BC and Saskatchewan) are in for a big adjustment, slap in the head type of adjustment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts