Sutures for Stitching Lacerations - New/Sterile

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Ellen, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Ellen

Ellen Member

THIS ITEM REQUIRES SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE FOR USE TO PREVENT INFECTION AND COMPLICATIONS. PLEASE SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION FOR ALL WOUNDS REQUIRING STITCHES!

On several occasions me or a family member has needed stitches after hours or didn't have the money to head to the E.R. I have found that if you have the supplies, it's usually not all that difficult to find someone with the know-how to help out.

This suture comes with the attached needle with enough suture for up to 6 stitches, depending on the wound and the expertise of the person stitching. It is sterile in the original packaging.

Keep in mind that this is only the suture with a curved needle. No other supplies are included with this. I have seen people sutured without local anesthetic and I could likely handle it, but not everyone could.

CLICK HERE FOR PHOTO OF SIMILAR PRODUCT

The suture will be synthetic, not cat gut (dissolving). For deeper lacerations requiring layers of sutures, dissolving sutures are sometimes used (this is NOT to be construed as medical advice). It will be a common size for typical lacerations that require a few stitches to promote nice healing while keeping the wound closed to help prevent infection (please seek medical advice).

PRICE EACH: $8.00
    INCLUDES SHIPPING AND HANDLING​

I will accept PayPal, you pay the fees ([email protected]), and check or money order. Order will be delayed while checks clear.

PO BOX 86
    Pinetop AZ 85935

For more information on stitching lacerations check out youtube. Some doctors will help train people in this; check around. Here is a useful site: Laceration Repair Guide

Check Out More Preparedness Essentials:
    Mylar Water Storage Bags $.50
    Solar Sun Oven $243
    Medical Sutures $8

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

A bit on the pricy side, Ebay has sealed/sterile outdated ones for cheap LOT OF 20 SUTURES ---- STUDENTS!!!!! - eBay (item 110643729994 end time Feb-08-11 12:28:05 PST) sorry

3. Ellen

Ellen Member

Hey, don't be sorry! It's good to know where you can find things a little cheaper. One bad thing with outdated sutures is that sometimes the thread gets brittle. That is a very bad thing for sutures, but sometimes being outdated a bit is just fine.

Thanks for the link!

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

actually, if you look at the ebay auction S&H is an additional $5... so it works out about the same

5. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Math? $20 for 20....1 for $8....

6. chancemft

chancemft Member

As long as you have the "needle" there are alot of things you could use! Anything organic(sterilized) will work! Bleach and water! STERILIZED! Heat and water. Sterilized! You can buy prepackaged stuff, which is always a good idea, and have ready, but learn how to do it..............

7. BillM

BillM BillM

I used to

I used to suture up wounds on my bird dogs all the time.

They always seemed to cut them selves hunting on a day when the Vet was closed.

You can buy vetenary supplys , (sutures included ) a lot cheaper than you can buy them for people.

My dad had a scar on his nose where he was sutured up with fishing line after a midnight auto accident by a country doctor who had run out of sutures due to a prior accident the same night. This happened in 1948 in rural TN.

As for anisthesia, the Dr told dad he might want to grit his teeth for a couple of miniuts ! :(

8. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

As a wilderness EMT I learned that you can use a tourniquet on an appendage. You can achieve some numbing when you cut off the blood flow temporarily.

9. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Word of caution regarding tourniquettes. ALWAYS label the injured party with the time/date the tourniquette was applied. If it is removed in a short amount of time, the appendage can be saved. If not, it will have to be amputated. A feild expedient method (when nothing else is available) to label for a tourniquette is to write the time/date on the injured parties' forehead IN THE BLOOD. Gross, but works.

That said, there's a big difference between a pressure dressing and a tourniquette. It isn't often necessary to jump to the big guns.

Good bump up for all to get into their emergency medical know how anyway.

10. jnrdesertrats

jnrdesertrats Noob

I agree with you.

I was not advocating a touriquet to control bleeding. I was just trying to point out that it will give a numbing effect long enough to stich someone up, thats all.

11. MrSfstk8d

MrSfstk8d Well-Known Member

Respectfully, I don't know that I could agree with that. The amount of time you'd have to cut off circulation to an area, other than say a finger or toe, long enough for the area to "go to sleep" sufficiently to allow relatively painless stitching seems as though it has much more potential to do harm than good.

In my opinion, in the absense of local anesthetics (herbals can provide some very good ones), my opinion would lean more toward having an assistant help hold the poor bastard down if it's for something more intense than the injured can just "grin and bear it" on their own.

Tourniquettes DO save lives, in the right applications. But they are a radical solution to a seriously life threatening uncontrolled loss of blood. Thank you for your discussion.

12. Ellen

Ellen Member

Simplified wound care:

• Stop bleeding by applying firm, constant pressure. Do NOT keep lifting bandage to see if bleeding has stopped. If bandage is saturated place a new pad on top of the saturated pad. 20 minutes should be good for most wounds.
    • Clean wound. Use warm soapy and water if you don't have other supplies available. Betadine solution is a good antiseptic. Make sure you clean in and around the wound. If the wound has road rash debris in it try to irrigate it with a squirt bottle or some other gently moving water to get any particles out then use Betadine or soap and water.
    • It is likely that cleaning the wound has made it bleed again. It should not be quite as bad as it was. Again, apply pressure to stop the bleeding. Knowing that you just cleaned it, try to find sterile dressings to apply the pressure this time.
    • Close the wound after the bleeding has stopped. Steri-strips are good to use if you don't have medical training to suture. Tincture of Benzoin (check your local pharmacy) can be purchased to apply to either side of the wound with a Q-Tip, allowed to dry before using steri-strips. This will help them adhere longer.
    • Cover the wound with sterile wound dressing. Keep it dry for 24 hours, longer if at all possible. Change the dressing every day and check for infection (redness, swelling, pus, odor).
    • Always seek medical attention if possible.

Basically, get the bleeding stopped and get it cleaned out. Try to keep it closed as best as possible. Keep it clean and dry.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011