Surviving the Holidays

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by sailaway, Dec 14, 2009.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

What are you doing to survive the holidays? How are you keeping costs down? Are you making gifts or buying them? Will your dinner feast be from the grocery store or from your garden and hunting trip? Are you keeping your sanity by staying out of the stores and malls or do you need a tall cold one to mellow out, or like me are you just looking forward to going to church? I was also wondering what would happen to the economy if everybody made gifts or performed a service for family and friends instead of buying them? The ones that have been made for me I treasure the most.:2thumb:

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have designed and made many Christmas presents over the years. Because I am the metal-designer at the shop I work for, I draw-up my stuff in AutoCAD, laser-cut it, form it, weld it, etc .. I have made candle-holders, clocks and all kinds of other trinkets.

I normally do my Christmas-shopping / stuff through-out the year to save on the stress-factor .. this year I was a little slow and had everything wrapped at the end of October - usually I am done by the middle of September.

3. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

For a few years now we do a secret Santa gift for the adults, each person only has to buy, or make a gift for one other person. Kinda sorta like a gift exchange, kids still are the focal point for gift giving though. My wife and I don't give each other gifts at Valentines Day, Anniversaries, birthdays, Xmas and the like, we believe that it is more special just to give all year long, and to show your love for each other. I send her flowers more on a whim than an occasion, makes the people she works with curious and sometimes jealous.:2thumb:

4. sailaway

Good thinking BunkerBob, I should do more things for my wife just because also. :scratch

5. westr01

westr01 Idahoan

Cutting costs

I am spending less this Christmas. Cash only of course. When the cash is gone, I'm done shopping. I'll try to save some for the after Christmas sales. As far as dinner, I'm single so I be at my sisters house...I couldn't cook a ham if my life depended on it.

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm making jellies and what not and passing them off as craft. I bought a couple of pocket knives for Secret Santa because I don't know what people are allergic to.

7. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I am not as frugal as I sometimes wish. I like to splurge and buy the wife things I know she'll use and like. Lots of gift certificates(she's sitting here so I now have to turn the screen), cheeses, an expensive pair of boots, and a few romantic movies. I personally like homemade things and am easy to please. This year I asked for a subscription to BYO Magazine(homebrew beer), a book on brewing beer, a book on growing my own beer supplies(as you can tell I like to brew my own beer lol), a few shirts, rubber fishing net, a new saw, an axe, sharpening wet stone, Dick Proenekke's Alone in the Wilderness DVD and his book. I figure across my entire family I'll get it all but it's all part of my grander plan to gain and access knowledge of the land and self suffiency(minus a gift or two).

The only wild game we'll have is if I can get some more grouse but they're getting harder to find now that the snow is in, the predators are out, and only the smart ones are still alive. I do still have some wild turkey left I've been procrastinating with.....

8. sailaway

Sonny Jim, home made gifts are my favorite, I treasure them.:2thumb: We have cut back spending, however our new grand daughter is getting spoiled by everybody, she's the first.:)

9. Lake Windsong

Lake Windsong Well-Known Member

Homemade Christmas

Planning on a homemade Christmas for everyone (except my kid).:D
    My kid is getting extra homeschool supplies. And a couple of educational toys. Lucky for me, that's what she asked for...

Already know the next two years at work will be very slow, i.e. more hours cut, possible layoffs, etc. It just makes more sense to make the gifts for other kids in the extended family. I've already helped 2 sets of relatives with groceries and school clothes this fall, and I don't think it's a good message to send the kids to be handing out gift cards this year. So we are making homemade cocoa mix in canning jars and baking cookies for the kiddos. I may round up something else from storage, but that's the basic plan.

10. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

We cut way back this year. For the past couple we only use cash-no cards. We'll be doing that again, and scaling back on the amount of gifts we do buy. We are making movie night baskets (a few DVD's, some popcorn and candy etc in a big wicker basket) for a couple people and we even bought some of our son's presents at various thrift stores. He's 17 months, so it's all the same to him. Heck, he'll probably like the paper better than the gifts anyway. :)

11. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

:idea: A big box ... trust me, its better than the paper :2thumb:

12. sailaway

When I was a kid my dad got me a hammer, nails and a coping saw. He took me to the library and we got some wook working books, we then went to the lumber yard and got free scraps and went home together and made a bird house and a little boat I could play with in the bath tub. He never had much time to spend with me, but I treasured that time and remember it today. I think that was the greatest gift. (time together) Do we still have lumber yards?:scratch

13. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We have an 84 Lumber here and you can still get free scrap lumber. They have it laying in one particular spot where you can just go in and take it. :2thumb:

14. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for my quarterly bonus to hit before I really started shopping . . . just checked my bank account and it shows almost two grand that i wasn't expecting is set for direct deposit on Friday . . .:2thumb:

So, since I am off of work on Friday, I need to spend the day battling the crowds at the mall to do all of my Christmas shopping in one day. Since my bonus turned out to be about double what i was expecting . . . may have to spend some time at the local Bass Pro shop doing some shopping for myself!

15. sailaway

I was at Cabelas Wheeling yesterday and bought my Christmas presant for myself, talk about God in action. When all was said and done the Old Town Guide Canoe I bought cost $1.27 out of my pocket!!!:beercheer::2thumb::beercheer::2thumb: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

16. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Come on Sailaway you got my attention:scratch, do tell how you did that for $1.27:2thumb:

17. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yes Please. Do Tell.

18. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Love that Cabela's! Used to stop there on the way from Ohio to Maryland to visit family.

Hasn't that Bass Pro Shop opened in Toledo, yet? Or Maumee, or whatever suburb it is? Wouldn't that be a lot closer for you?

19. sailaway

Well you all it went like this, the origional price was $579.99. They had had a big sale the end of November and this was the last one. They had left the price in the computer of $399.99 to move it. I had a graduated coupon for $100.00 off a $500.00 purchase. at the $399.99 price it was worth $70.00. This expired 12/24. I also had a $150.00 gift card from a large purchase there last summer, it expired 1/04/10. I also had $202.00 in points that had accumulated on my credit card over the last year, I always pay my balance, so no interest. With the price of the canoe and tax minus the above the associate said the balance was $1.27.:2thumb: I used cash, if I was thinking I should have put it on my credit card for points.:D I might also add, I was talking to God about a green one and that's the color of this one. I will owe the gubbamint more in taxes for a title than I have out of pocket for it.:cry:

20. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Wow. Way to go sailaway.