Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching that National Geographic show mentioned on another thread & noticed they seem to use the terms "survivalist" & "prepper" interchangeably. To me, they are very different concepts but was wondering what everyone else thought?

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I think they are very different also. I consider myself more of a prepper not a survivalist. A survivalist makes me think of someone that wants to take off into the mountains and wants to survive all on their own. I have no desire to take off and try to 'survive'. I want to be prepared for a 'hopefully it will never happen' disaster.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
I view them as very similar but I think that survivalist usually comes with a negative connotation (at least by folks that are neither preppers nor survivalists). I would say that all survivalists are preppers but not all preppers are survivalists. The reason I say that is some folks that prepare for huricanes because they live in florida but see no reason why they should need to prepare for economic/political collapse are still preppers. Survivalists usually seem to have a broader list of things they are prepping for.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
I view them as very similar but I think that survivalist usually comes with a negative connotation (at least by folks that are neither preppers nor survivalists). I would say that all survivalists are preppers but not all preppers are survivalists. The reason I say that is some folks that prepare for huricanes because they live in florida but see no reason why they should need to prepare for economic/political collapse are still preppers. Survivalists usually seem to have a broader list of things they are prepping for.
I think that's an excellent description of the two.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I was watching that National Geographic show mentioned on another thread & noticed they seem to use the terms "survivalist" & "prepper" interchangeably. To me, they are very different concepts but was wondering what everyone else thought?
I am glad you brought this topic up as I never really thought about it like that. I am sure that many preppers think of the eventual need to bug-out to survive, but I think that could actually put you in more danger. There could be marauding gangs and other dangerous situations in the unknown. The Road and The Book of Eli both show people trying to get around post-apocalypse. I feel like the devil's advocate when people talk about a BOV. Where are you going?

I see the survivalist as the person who will live off the land and thinks they will be able to hold off any intruders.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I think they're very different in terms of how they live and how long they plan on doing that. I live in a condo. I'm storing everything we'll need for a year there. I don't have a farm or land I could cut firewood from even if I wanted to. In time I'll have physical gold and silver. I expect that sometime after a hyper-inflationary collapse order will be restored and you'll be able to exchange them for gold-backed currency.

I think survivalists are preparing to grow their own food and live independently for years if necessary.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I would much rather be a survivalist than a prepper.

The way I look at it a prepper expects the collapse to be of short term. Usually most prepare for a year or that is the magical time I see posted. If the SHTF it could well be much longer than what a prepper is prepared for. A survivalist doesn't look much at the length of the collapse. They intend to survive if the collapse is a month or the rest of their lives.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I don't think the world will ever be the same or things will be that much better unless a miracle happens.We will be in the control of evil powers from here on .Sounds terrible but thats the way it looking.

We prepare to live as well as we can for whatever time we have.No sense in going hungry or thirsty any longer than nessasary.

if I lived in the city,I'd do all I could to get out.Instead of saving gold,I'd be looking for land.The city is already getting more dangerous. You may end up a prisoner in your own home.Of course this can happen anywhere,but I feel more so in large populated cities.

Everyday you read about people attacking others just for the fun of it.

Another teen was attacked last month walking home from show beat almost to death by a small gang.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think they are both very different words. I consider myself a prepper but I have some survivalist skills as it's good to have.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
for a lot of preppers becoming a survivalist will not be that hard. the difference will be in a preppers ability to protect and keep adding to the things he needs. I do not expect the world to end in disaster but come only to chaos. the question may be can we hold on until things settle to the NEW normal.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
for a lot of preppers becoming a survivalist will not be that hard. the difference will be in a preppers ability to protect and keep adding to the things he needs. I do not expect the world to end in disaster but come only to chaos. the question may be can we hold on until things settle to the NEW normal.
Agenda 21 is not some conspiracy theory,its real and in the immediante planning stages now.Also called 'sustainable living'.All who prepare will be ask or forced to share with others in the community.Ssome sooner than others.

Last night on radio a guy pushing for biofuel was saying farmers in missouri were growing corn for communities in africa.They have already took alcohol buring stoves to them Bagledesh and Sudan, I Think it was.

alchoholcanbeagas.com

How much land can we use on fuel before we run out of croplands? The weather is already ruining milions of acres of land all ovr the world.While the world population grows.

·
803 Posts
I would much rather be a survivalist than a prepper.

The way I look at it a prepper expects the collapse to be of short term. Usually most prepare for a year or that is the magical time I see posted. If the SHTF it could well be much longer than what a prepper is prepared for. A survivalist doesn't look much at the length of the collapse. They intend to survive if the collapse is a month or the rest of their lives.
Guess I'm confused at your statement. How will they "survive" if they don't "prepare"? Are you saying "survivalist" are just planning on going to the woods and live off the land or become robbers?? Got news for you, that's real good for movies, but not realistic at all. Either one won't last long. They will starve to death or be shot by "preppers" protecting what they have.

I may only have a years worth of food saved up, but I also save seeds, have minor livestock and other items and skills to keep eating. The years worth of food is to get you thru till the next growing season, or until you get a garden going.

Don't think anyone is "prepping" for only one year, what good would that do? In fact I would say that a prepper would be the real long term survivalist. That person is getting ready for whatever comes along for however long it lasts.

Just saying...

Jimmy

·
803 Posts
Sorry for the double post...

·
Registered
21 Posts
People are assigning male and female roles to the terms.

Prepper = gatherer, organization, female type stuff
Survivalist = hunter, proactive out there building thing, male type stuff

I think many survivalist would call themselves preppers and vica-versa.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Guess I'm confused at your statement. How will they "survive" if they don't "prepare"? Are you saying "survivalist" are just planning on going to the woods and live off the land or become robbers?? Got news for you, that's real good for movies, but not realistic at all. Either one won't last long. They will starve to death or be shot by "preppers" protecting what they have.

I may only have a years worth of food saved up, but I also save seeds, have minor livestock and other items and skills to keep eating. The years worth of food is to get you thru till the next growing season, or until you get a garden going.

Don't think anyone is "prepping" for only one year, what good would that do? In fact I would say that a prepper would be the real long term survivalist. That person is getting ready for whatever comes along for however long it lasts.

Just saying...

Jimmy
Being prepared can be many different things for many different people. This is just my opinon and does not mean it is right. A prepper gathers many things together that they think they will need if something does happen. They have food, water, guns, ammo, gas, seeds, tools, and lots of other stuff. Again this is just my opinion. I think many preppers think storing these items will guarantee they survive. Many would not last very long if they are caught away from their preps. Many would not be able to hang on to their preps. Many do not have any experience going without food for weeks. Many don't know how to live off the land or just by their own wits. They depend largely on their preps for their lives.

A survivalist can live without any of the stuff preppers need. They can be dropped into almost any place with just the clothes on their backs and survive. Most of their preps are stored in their heads and their experiences.
They are not tied down by their preps. They do not have the worry about protecting their preps. They have a good idea how long they can go without food or water. They already know, from experience, that 3 meals a day, or even one meal a day is not necessary. A survivalist , from experience, knows how to use, when to use, and how to make weapons. They are not limited to firearms and ammo.

Guess what I see as a survivalist is much like the people who settled this great country. Many of them crossed the nation with less than the normal prepper thinks they need for a week. Many of them can live for years with only what they can carry.
Some preppers may turn into survivalist but the numbers will be few. Most preppers are much like the normal city dweller, waiting for someone to rescue them. They are prepared to wait much longer but they are still waiting for rescue. If rescue does not come they will eat their way through their preps. They are only putting everything off for an amount of time. It might work, hopefully it will.

The survivalist is not waiting for rescue. They know who they can depend on. They know how to survive.

Again, this is just my opinion and may be wrong. I think a prepper can become a servivalist, a few arleady are but many preppers are just hopeing to last until rescue comes.

Guess petedewd described it some.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
Some preppers may turn into survivalist but the numbers will be few. Most preppers are much like the normal city dweller, waiting for someone to rescue them. They are prepared to wait much longer but they are still waiting for rescue.
I would disagree that a prepper is waiting to be rescued. I thinking the act of prepping changes the mindset - you prep for the very reason that you know no one's going to rescue you. You have preps not to just get through them and then expect to be rescued, but rather to utilize them while learning and building skills to survive.

I think there's definitely a lot of crossover between the two terms, but I like what you said about how a survivalist has his preps in his head, travels lighter. Hadn't thought of that before.

I would have said that the primary different between the two terms is simply a negative/less negative connotation. Beyond that, I'd say survivalists are preppers that have gone hard-core. But your comment about traveling light also makes me see that survivalists can be preppers that move beyond their preps.

·
Banned
399 Posts
I would disagree that a prepper is waiting to be rescued. I thinking the act of prepping changes the mindset - you prep for the very reason that you know no one's going to rescue you. You have preps not to just get through them and then expect to be rescued, but rather to utilize them while learning and building skills to survive.

I think there's definitely a lot of crossover between the two terms, but I like what you said about how a survivalist has his preps in his head, travels lighter. Hadn't thought of that before.

I would have said that the primary different between the two terms is simply a negative/less negative connotation. Beyond that, I'd say survivalists are preppers that have gone hard-core. But your comment about traveling light also makes me see that survivalists can be preppers that move beyond their preps.
Funny how words will put an image in peoples head.
If SHTF today at 2pm would all of the preppers be where their preps are located?

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I am just an old contankerous hillbilly that has no faith in the management, The government can't run any country on a good day, how could anyone expect much in any kind of wide spread disaster, the whole anti survivalist thing was probably helped along by marketers, how can they sell usless throw away crap if the people are self sufficient??

·
Registered
983 Posts
Power, who would want to just survive with only the clothes on their backs, when they can spend a few $$$ and be more comfortable. I like the outdoors and I like to go camping, hunting and fishing, but I would not care to have to live that way for the rest of my life. I do believe that life style would get old quick.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Power, who would want to just survive with only the clothes on their backs, when they can spend a few $$$ and be more comfortable. I like the outdoors and I like to go camping, hunting and fishing, but I would not care to have to live that way for the rest of my life. I do believe that life style would get old quick.
I posted a question in another post. What would you do if SHTF at 2pm this evening? Would you be in the same place as your preps. Some will be but the majority wouldn't. I don't think SHTF will put out a schedule so everyone will be where they want to be.

If SHTF and you are not where your preps are you may not be able to get to them. Unless you are a survivalist.
There is not anything wrong with prepping. I prep and will more than likely be in the same place as my preps if SHTF. I am a survivalist and if I am not at the same place as my stuff it is a good bet I will be able to get there.
Many people who prep won't be able to get to those preps.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.