Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research on water filters and water purification and I think this could be the most cost effective way to purify water. All you need is bleach, funnel, and coffee filters. 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water = approximately 4500 gallons of fresh water. Use the funnel and coffee filters for muddy water to remove debris. I have 4 gallons of bleach probably 3 years of water.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
From what I understand, liquid bleach is not the best "chlorine" to use to purify water.. buy a big bag of pool shock instead. I'm sure that the others here will be able to clarify this better than me.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Liquid bleach from the store slowly turns into salt water over time. It usually only lasts one year.

What you want is Calcium Hypochlorite, or "Pool Shock". You want it as pure as you can get, with as few inert ingredients possible, and NO "anti-algae" or other weird chemicals added.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Okay, here goes,
~~First you must make the solution….
1 heaping tsp of shock to 2 gallons of water
~~now, with the solution, make the bleach….
1/4 cup of solution to 6 quarts of water
~~now, with the bleach, purify your drinking water…5 drops of bleach to a gallon of water.
When finished, you will have pool shock still in the container used for storage; a 6 qt bleach bottle; and a gallon of drinking water.
This method will provide for you for a very long time.

No old bleach to worry about storing, leaking, and getting old; inexpensive since bleach is 1.50 per gallon; no worries about harming your stomach with bleach chemicals; and the greatest plus---no storage space needed for those huge gallon jugs!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did some research on water filters and water purification and I think this could be the most cost effective way to purify water. All you need is bleach, funnel, and coffee filters. 8 drops of bleach per gallon of water = approximately 4500 gallons of fresh water. Use the funnel and coffee filters for muddy water to remove debris. I have 4 gallons of bleach probably 3 years of water.
Go to
FindaSpring.com - Online Spring Database
and go get it yourself, can't get any better than that. We did it and after buying 24-5 gallon containers from the ready store, we found one near us and drove out there, and believe me , we were not the only ones there. Be safe, get pure water...

·
Citizen
91 Posts
Hi Folks,

Maybe I'm just not aware of the science behind this...but do you really want to drink water treated that way?

I spent a year and a half in South America many years ago and chlorinated my water with similar stuff and it tasted and smelled awful. Not to mention that it sometimes made me feel kinda sick.

Maybe it was all in my head...I can't really say. But I sure hated the water down there. There must be a better way.

ATB,

Bill

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Hi Folks,

Maybe I'm just not aware of the science behind this...but do you really want to drink water treated that way?

I spent a year and a half in South America many years ago and chlorinated my water with similar stuff and it tasted and smelled awful. Not to mention that it sometimes made me feel kinda sick.

Maybe it was all in my head...I can't really say. But I sure hated the water down there. There must be a better way.

ATB,

Bill
~~~I spent a year and a half in South America many years ago and chlorinated my water with similar stuff and it tasted and smelled awful~~~

I bet that's what that Crystal Light, Tang, Instant Tea, and Koolaid are for in my beverage storage tote!!!

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Emergency Water

We are talking emergency water here, I did forget to tell you to wait 30 minutes prior to drinking, this allows for the chlorine to dissipate.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
you can always attach one of these to the spigot of your storage tank...

Rainshow'r Gard'n Gro Garden Filter System Only $49.99

WARNING: The Gard'n Gro is specially designed for the garden, not as a drinking water filter. Its filtration media effectively removes chlorine from your garden water, but it is not designed to remove particulate matter or other water contaminants. Please also note that this filtration system is not recommended for use with fish ponds.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We are talking emergency water here, I did forget to tell you to wait 30 minutes prior to drinking, this allows for the chlorine to dissipate.
The chlorine is not going to dissipate in an hour....unless used in really small quantities....like your original post suggested.

Not a big fan of the pool shock suggestion by LincTex. Seriously......consuming water with pool shock on a sustained basis is not good......read the Material Safety Data Sheet.

Also need to consider chemical contamination.....charcoal (pure not the garbage soaked in lighter fluid) and distillation. You can make a simple distilling unity with a tea kettle, funnel and cooper tubing.

I will rely on my Katadyn, iodine tablets, solar still, boiling, etc. Much safer.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Not a big fan of the pool shock suggestion by LincTex. Seriously......consuming water with pool shock on a sustained basis is not good......read the Material Safety Data Sheet.
The MSDS for table salt is not much better. I think the LD-50 numbers are similar for both products, really. Table salt is actually one of the most toxic chemicals around if you eat enough of it. That is why you use only very, very small amounts at any given time.

Read the instructions JayJay posted. There are several very good instructional documents on the 'net on how to make bleach from pool shock.

The pool shock is not meant to be consumed as-is - - I never advocated that and never will. It is used to make chlorine bleach solution, which is what you have indeed drank in very small quantities if you have ever consumed any municipal treated water. The pool shock will store for years, whereas store bought bleach will not.

Pool shock is handy, and a good staple to have on hand. If you are prudent, you can prepare treated water in batches and never have to deal with chlorine taste and smell. It is all about how you handle your water.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Guys...lighten up!!!
I also am not relying on pool shock alone.
I have a Berkey, coffee filters, alum, and under certain circumstances, MAY use my Coleman fuel to boil water, but would be extreme for me to do that.
Of course, the wood burning stove can be lit and fired up if needed.
Happy now??
In case you have forgotten, this is a sharing info. forum, not a dictatorship.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
There is a remedy to the chlorine water- just like with city water you let it sit in an open topped container for 24 hours and the chlorine will dissipate and leave you better tasting water...
If you have the power you can also rig an air rock and pump and run air thru the chlorinated water and over night and it will remove it better. (they sell battery operated pumps and air rocks for folks who fish and use it in their live wells. From little for minnows and large for game fish).
I hated living in the city and having to drink that nasty pool tasting water. But after learning to run a few gallons in big glass pitchers with a clean tea towel over it and left on the counter for at least 24 hours, you could then put it in the fridge and have drinkable water.
While I am a big proponent of not ingesting chemicals, I am willing to risk a bit of chlorine in my water as compared getting all kinds of dysentery or other even worse gross things and possibly dieing from it... And never forget that before modern times a case of diarrhea could kill ya.:eek:

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Guys...lighten up!!!
I am a little surprised.... I didn't think anyone was being rude to anyone else. This is really a pretty calm conversation compared to many others I have seen on the internet ;)

How many of you plan to use a bio-sand filter?

Biosandfilter.org

BioSand Filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I figure I will do my water emergency preps like this:
Step 1: Obtain nasty, cloudy water and let it settle
Step 2: Run it through the biosand filter (gets it about 98% ready)
Step 3: Add a small amount of home-made Chlorine (to kill the last 2%) then let chlorine evaporate out.

At this point, it should be ready to drink. You could go one step further:
Step 4: Run through the Berkey - but only if it seems to be needed.

I think this plan will give drinking quality water from any non-chemical-fouled source, and without any boiling. Boiling takes too much time and energy out of a person's schedule and wastes fuel.

·
Citizen
91 Posts
The easy way first...

Hi Folks,

Yeah, I'm not sure where the offense happened, but if it was me it was sure unintended. Peace.

The bio sand thing looks interesting and I think it is a bit of knowledge we should all have. I'm sort of an "easy way first" kinda guy ;)

When/if we run out of our purification elements (or get close to it,) bio sand may be the best way left. We always need good backups for any survival preparations.

NASA always talks about "triple redundancy for critical systems." I think that is a good standard to apply, especially if it is as important as food and water.

Definitely want some chemicals and fuel on-hand too.

All the Best,

Bill

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Sorry Linctex...I'm an ex-teacher...just old philosophies coming out--say something nice, constructive, or positive, or not at all.
I get the feeling some here forget we're adults responsible for our actions ...or we wouldn't be here..lol

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I posted a few links to 'how to make a biosand filter' here on the water forums somewhere-just a week or so ago it seems.. They use the biosand filters in Haiti right now and they are really good at filtering the bad biological critters out. As most US waters are infected with giardia cysts it only makes sense to learn to filter it out.

I really think that drinking river water and unclean sources are gonna be the downfall of many city folks after :shtf: And that is a horrible way to go.

·
Drumrunner
87 Posts
beg to differ

Hi. I read your post about using coffee filters and I must beg to differ. A couple of years ago I actually tried filtering some lake water with coffee filters, here is the results:
Picasa Web Albums - larry - water test

What the experiment showed is that this method does not work well at all. By the way, I have purchased aluminum sulfate and activated carbon from this company (completely not affiliated with them) and have been totally satisfied with their chemicals and prompt shipping;
http://www.cqconcepts.com/products.php

·
jebrown
154 Posts
I have been teaching disaster preparedness for 33 years.
Here are some of the things I have learned about water storage.
Water does not spoil or deteriorate. If there is any bacteria no matter how minute, it will grow and multiply.
Any water with an off taste can be improved by pouring it between two containers.
Bottled chlorine bleach is an extremely powerful chemical. It virtually kills any plant, bacteria or virus life it comes in contact with.
Pool Shock is mainly for killing algae in pool and hot tubs. It has the benefit of killing some other things as well.
Certain fungus can grow in a pool or hot tub that gets on the skin and causes itching. Pool Shock does not kill this fungus. The pool or hot tub has to be treated with liquid chlorine bleach. This problem tends to be most common but not limited to warmer climates.
With pool Shock there is no known or guaranteed level of ingredients. Other products are put into it that enhance water clarity and provide a pleasent smell to the water. Two of these are powdered silica sand and powdered calcium derived from ground up bones.
Pool Shock can cause nausea, stomach cramps and severe diarrhea. I knw some of you will say you have used Pool Shock with no problems but it does happen and it is not that uncommom of an experience.
Straining water through a coffee filter should be used to remove solid material only such as sand, rocks, plant or wood particles etc.. It will still need to be purified.
Water stored should be purified when put into the storage container which should be sterialized before being filled with water. Use only food grade plastic. Avoid swings in temperature as much as possible. Also one that does not allow light through or store in a space that doesn't expose them to light.
A common misconception is that water needs to be rotated every six months or what ever. This advice stems from the people who bottle water to frighten you into a continuous purchase of thier water.
many people advise against the use of soda pop bottles claiming that they are too thin. A bottle of soda pop is cabonated with CO2. We all have experienced a bottle that has bee shaken, not a favorite way to take a shower. Theese plastic bottles can withstand the increased pressure when bottles get shaken during transport or dropped.

Jerry

1 - 20 of 49 Posts