Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Bob,

I think he means a mini-tin (like Sucrets or Altoids) filled with survival gear like a couple of fishing hooks, lines, sinkers, bandaids, compass, knife, signal-mirror, "bear-banger", etc.

My "survival-tin" is my Jeep (2) which is loaded with all those kinds of items and a winch on the front of each one with recovery-gear, clothing, food, shovels, backpacks, winter-gear, etc.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Altoids !! :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I ate all of mine!:D:eek:
I was at one time addicted to the damn things !! and saved empty tins to make little survival packets...when I threw them away I had at least a couple hundred of the dame things...

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My survival tin is actually a S.S. Nalgene bottle. They are wide mouthed and you can fit an orienteering compass in it(Sylva Starter). It also contains: matches, striker, swiss army knife, titanium spoon, small Tylenol pack, small multi tool, Bic Pen, (ziplock bag with birthday size candles, chapstick, small bick lighter, alcohal wipes, small hand soap and bandaids), Mini Mag Lite(double A batteries) 2 spare aa bats., reading glasses, water purification tablets, space blanket and a whistle with attached compass. I also put a North American Arms 22lr 5 shot pistol in when I travel. There is a little room left and I would be open to any suggestions.

I chose the S.S. Bottle because you can boil water in it or cook food in it all the bottles contents will fit in my pockets and it will work as a water bottle.;)

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Sail,

Something that you would want to do with your MiniMag is take it completely apart and then apply petroleum jelly to all the seals and moving parts. Then, as you are putting the MiniMag back together, use die-electric grease (common-name: SparkPlug grease) and spread a little on the positive and negative ends of the batteries.

Doing those two things will keep the batteries "fresh" and the chances of the battery exploding is minimized. Also, the petroleum jelly keeps the aluminum housing and seals from oxidizing.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Great battery tip Naekid, never considdered that. That's the beauty of this site, all of our heads are better than one.;)

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,686 Posts
My survival tin is actually a S.S. Nalgene bottle. They are wide mouthed and you can fit an orienteering compass in it(Sylva Starter). It also contains: matches, striker, swiss army knife, titanium spoon, small Tylenol pack, small multi tool, Bic Pen, (ziplock bag with birthday size candles, chapstick, small bick lighter, alcohal wipes, small hand soap and bandaids), Mini Mag Lite(double A batteries) 2 spare aa bats., reading glasses, water purification tablets, space blanket and a whistle with attached compass. I also put a North American Arms 22lr 5 shot pistol in when I travel. There is a little room left and I would be open to any suggestions.

I chose the S.S. Bottle because you can boil water in it or cook food in it all the bottles contents will fit in my pockets and it will work as a water bottle.;)
DAMMMMMMMMN! that beats my Prince Albert can full of crap!
I carry my bottle anyway so its not a stretch to fill it with my goodies!

·
The only one responsible for yourself, is you!
316 Posts
I've got one of the Survival Tin unopened from Coghlan. However, I only carry on me is my Survival Keychain that I made. On a 18000lb carabiner: Mini flashlight, fire striker, 8ft 550 paracord, large p38 with the spoon on it, swiss victorian, whistle compass thermomter combo, air pressure gauge, 2 sided clip, fingernail clippers, 5ft snare wire, and 25usd in small bills. If something were to happen, I could use it to get to my vehicle or home and then have the luxuries there. In my vehicle I've got a small carry bag of more than 3 days survival, along with a short term military issue surgical kit. I drive minivan and have bottles of water and other useful supplies stashed in cubby holes and crammed under seats. :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I bought a couple of those tins from Countycom.com since my wife never remembered to save me her Altoids container. I did put a fire steel and a few odds and ins in one and put it in a pocket of my fishing vest. The other is still empty and sitting on a shelf.

I got to thinking (which is always dangerous)... "do I really want one of those tins shifting around in a pocket?" And if you wrap tape around it, or paracord, how hard is that if you want something from inside?

I settled on a piece of aircraft cable that allows me to string several "tools" that are readily available and that I have found to actually to be useful on a daily basis and fits in my left pants pocket. Those include a short steel "widgey" pry bar, tweezers, a flat plastic whistle, a P38 can opener, a micro-light, and a bottle opener. Coupled with my Leatherman 'Micro" and my Benchmade folder, I can do a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Oh, and if I am out traipsing around, I usually carry a Maxpedition 'Monsoon" sling pack with a nalgene bottle, Gerber folding wood saw, fire starting stuff, compass, tactical light, Gore-Tex rain jacket, gloves, stocking hat and whatever else I stuff in it depending on what I'm doing. Even fits in an urban environment.

Hope my UK cousin finds that helpful. (Ancestors from Lincolnshire, btw)

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Memorys

A survival kit in a band aid box ?

That brings back memorys.

I carried one around 50 yars ago when I was a Boy Scout ! :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A survival kit in a band aid box ?

That brings back memorys.

I carried one around 50 yars ago when I was a Boy Scout ! :)
I had a neckerchief slide made from a 35mm film canister that held first-aid and survival stuff. Order of the Arrow - Koo Koo Ka Hoo! :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a neckerchief slide made from a 35mm film canister that held first-aid and survival stuff. Order of the Arrow - Koo Koo Ka Hoo! :D
I like that, I am teaching my bear den Be Ready (the old what to do in an emergency acheivment) may have to add that. We are working on the Emergency preparedness award.

What stuff did you have in there?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I've been thinking about building another survival tin using a WWII mess kit, that I can stow in a small bvug out back pack.:scratch

1 - 20 of 27 Posts