Survival entertainment

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 101airborne, Apr 23, 2010.

1. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Couldn't find this or similar topic so if I missed it sorry! We all talk about our preps, encourage others to prep, help newbies with information on getting started, as so forth. That IMHO is what forums like this are for. Helping ourselves and others to get ready for ___________________.

So my question is this. In addition to your 3 B preps. What preps have you made for entertainment in a disaster, TSHTF, whatever. Last winter when the major ice storms hit this area many people were stranded for weeks some without power,phone,cable,internet,etc.

Our entertainment preps include. 200+ DVD movies

400+ music CD's all types except rap and hip hop,

1,000+ books including the bible and classics as well.

Lots of board games like scrabble, monopoly, etc.

Playing cards and card games like Uno, Phase 10, etc.

Whenever I/we go to a yard sale I pick up a few more books,puzzles DVD's CD's and such. I don't worry if I already have something. If I do it goes in the trade/barte bin. For future use.

IMHO when TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI 99% of people won't think of entertainment items while things a caotic ( spelling?) But for those with younger kids what would a puzzle either jigsaw or book type be worth? How about a kids book or video? How about music CD's for the older kids? Or a relaxing movie or Cd for mom and dad?

IMHO many of these Items will increase in value" the longer things remain unstable.

2. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Do you have the means to play all that music or those movies? If so, awesome!!! I have solar -> battery -> portable systems that allow me to watch DVDs (and listen to CD's) on a portable DVD player (9" screen). I am expanding on that system as soon as I arrive in my new place for even more capability.

As for games, I have some of the oldest games in the world. There is a board-game that I play that some say has been around for between 6,000 to 10,000 years. The game is called Awale, and, if you want, you can play the computer-version of the game. http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/awale.htm You might also be able to locate a game locally, or, do what I did, I got mine from Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast).

3. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

In addition to the books, board games, cards and card games, I also keep stuff for crafts around.

Popcicle sticks
    glue
    poster board
    crayons
    coloring books
    construction paper
    paints
    markers
    scissors
    yarn
    crochet hooks
    sewing projects
    candle making supplies

Some of these crafts can be usefull. Candles for home use, crochet scarves, socks, etc.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  4. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

I am starting to pick up cheap books and stowing them away so I won't read them now. Mostly I think my time will be spent calming the rest of my family down and finding stuff for them to do.:rolleyes:

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I had to look that one up! Around these parts we play Mancala (looks like the same basic game). Here is a link I found for the Mancala

Cool math games - free math games for kids of all ages - Mancala

Littlebit-- check your local library to see if they have a "for sale" cart. My library usually has a cart set out with books they are getting rid of and sell them super cheap. .25-.75 for hard backs and .10-.20 for paperbacks.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  6. 101airborne

Yes Laptop computer will play all of them. I have gennys if power is out as well as an inverter on my jeep if needed and the laptop battery will last about 6 hours playing movies. I am also looking at portable solar power units as well.

7. 101airborne

Yeah as I said yard sales usually yield a book or two if nothing else. I also try to make the library book sale ( twice a year) it funds the library and I get books cheap, paperbacks as low as .10 each and hard backs as low as .25 each sometimes even find audio books and DVD's.

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

We have board games and playing cards also. But if I have a lot of free time in a truly SHTF situation, which doesn't seem likely, I'll spend a lot more time playing guitar. It's something that has really fallen to the back burner in the last couple years.

9. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

My Grandson has been playing with a shovel all last week in the backyard. I need to pick up a few more of those!

10. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

I keep a few decks of pinnochle cards which can keep my relatives busy for hours. I've also got a few of the classics like chess, monopoly, chinese checkers, battleship, and scrabble. I've also got a huge assortment of books.

But more importantly, i've got a lot of tools and a lot of material. You find them something to do, they are going to be very content. Little projects here and there to keep them busy.

11. Akaalbany

Akaalbany Akaalbany

Craft stuff great Idea also have picked several yards of various types of material and some simple pants patterns and tops patterns out of the half price bin. Figure if relatives show up with very little at least can stich up some simple work clothes. . I have an old fashioned pump sewing machine. :D

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

crochet - knit - spin - weave ...

Same kind of stuff I do now. :D

13. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

I play clawhammer banjo and have a guitar, mandolin and ukulele as extra toys. Don’t play the others but if there was a lot of time I could learn. Music can fill a lot of spare time!

Other than that sewing to repair clothing, reading, writing. All my activities are planned around not having electricity available. The only electric thing I have to do is fire up the generator to get water from the well. 10 minutes at a pop will fill two barrels and last a while.

14. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

We've done pretty much the same for our entire lifestyle. Even though we have almost a thousand watts of solar power we decided that there would be no dependance upon electricity ... period! Even now we use very little electricity. We power our refrigerator on solar and use laptop computers, tv and video for entertainment. We have LED lighting which is a lot more convenient than oil lamps but we lived the first two years here without electricity and can easily do it again.

15. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Woody, I never heard the phrase "clawhammer banjo". Could you elaborate? I have a bass guitar that I'd like to get better at but I seem to have almost no musical talent so I just thump what I can.

As far as entertainment goes, you give me a crossword puzzle book and I'm good for the day. :)

16. SaskBound

SaskBound Well-Known Member

Around here, we're heavy on the books, including a few about games - Hoyle's card game rules, and a couple of books about old-fashioned games, one of which is for games that don't require props like jacks or marbles. We've also got a stash of board games, as well as extra decks of cards. Our book collection is pretty extensive, and includes books for all ages except the very young (under 6 or 7), though a lot of the old fashioned 'children's story books' we have are meant to be read to young kids. No DVD's around here, as we don't watch TV anyways. All the low-tech entertainment stuff, we use now, lol. I remember as a kid, a stick was a great toy...it could be a horse, a magic wand, a parade baton, a percussion instrument...and on and on. I suspect that in a grid-down situation, kids will rapidly re-learn how to use their imagination...

17. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I love the banjo and people that can play it well. It's played completely different from the guitar so I never tried it. The mandolin on the other hand is similar and I want to learn that one.

18. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Clawhammer is old timey style, Appalachian mountain picking. Your right hand is more like a fist or claw and you use the index finger and thumb to pick. If you ever watched Hee Haw (the old southern documentary program) Grandpa Jones used the style. Most folks are more familiar with Sc r u g g s style, like the Beverly Hillbillies theme. You use three finger picks for that style.

I got into in my first life. I had the farmstead in NE PA (Hallstead) and a friend was staying with me. He came home one day with a mandolin and said he was going to learn to play it. Damned if in a few months he could manage a tune or two. I figured if an idiot like him could learn an instrument so could a moron like me! I picked the banjo because it made sense to me, five fingers five strings. Guitar; six strings five fingers, someone is going to get hurt in that deal. Fiddle; four strings five fingers, someone is going to lose out in that situation.

EDIT: Hrm.. it blocked out Earl's last name S c r u g g s.
    Fixed, BB

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  19. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

I too have a portable DVD player and a nice DVD collection that I continously add to and a powerpack for it and my cell phone.
    I am also going to buy another powerpack to double my power capabilities.
    I also have a power inverter.
    Jerry Reed was a claw style guitar picker. Really enjoyed East Bound and Down.
    He was the guitar picker for Elvis Presley 's Guitar Man.

Jerry

20. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I just have shovels, picks and buckets in the pit to keep everybody busy expanding the living space.:D