Preparedsociety.com banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in south ga and been thinking about what kind of dog that I want to get with prepping in mind. I do want a large dog food intake aside. I think im down to A. Great dane B.doberman or C. Irish wolf hound. But im open to suggestions. What do think?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Well (and I know I'll be raked over coals fo rthis) Dobes alwasy seem a bit stupid to me. no real experience whithe other breeds you mention. But I love my German Shepherds. I feel they are one of the smartest breeds going, They are great with kids and will adopt them and protect them on instinct alone. $.02

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Great Danes are too resource consumptive for their protective value and projected lifespan.
Dobermans have a propensity for neurotic behavior, and need a LOT of attention, especially when young.
Wolfhounds live pretty long for a large breed, and aren't so specialized that they can't fend for themselves.

221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jsriley5 said:
Well (and I know I'll be raked over coals fo rthis) Dobes alwasy seem a bit stupid to me. no real experience whithe other breeds you mention. But I love my German Shepherds. I feel they are one of the smartest breeds going, They are great with kids and will adopt them and protect them on instinct alone. $.02
I hate that but that's what I keep hearing. Im leaning towards the irish wolf hound.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I like my labs, intelligent,obedient,friendly,great hearing and great watch dogs.protective of the people they live with,love the out doors and love to play.

·
Okie from Michigan via Alaska!
412 Posts
Great Danes are too resource consumptive for their protective value and projected lifespan.
Dobermans have a propensity for neurotic behavior, and need a LOT of attention, especially when young.
Wolfhounds live pretty long for a large breed, and aren't so specialized that they can't fend for themselves.
:ditto: Irish Wolfhounds are impressive enough that they will avert many confrontations simply by being with you.

·
Not so new
581 Posts
I' ve rasied many different dog breeds.Love German Shepards but they do have hip problems.Great Danes too(I think because of their size).Every "dobie"I've ever seen was a nutcase.If you want noise and alert think Daschunds(for small) but they can be stubborn,but are protective and again small....Since I have grandkids one under 4 ,I decided on a Lab for inside/outside,and a doxie for a lapdog .I figure they will be great friend and company for me and each other.A good mix so they can play with each other and 'Watch" my 3 acres.Beagles are sweet but aren't know for being real protective and can be yipee( hate the barking all the time even with a tree russeling outside).Right now I travel in my work so I'm unable to have any pets but I am looking forward to finding my "friends" in the near furture.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree with Blob once upon a time Danes were fierce today they are just oversized lap dogs. Also they can and will die as early as two years of age.

Dobermans are very neurotic and as a breed are known to suffer separation anxiety.

I actually considered the Irish Wolfhound if you read the breed standard they seem to be the perfact combonation of what I was looking for. The problem is that is an ancient standard and the true Wolfhound no longer exist.

To the OP if size/feed is not a problem check out the Caucasian Ovcharka.
There are some good GSD's out there and herders are smart fast learners.
Someone mentioned that the dogs appearance alone can be a deterrent thats the same as saying a replica gun is a good deterrent.:nuts:

I would advise anyone looking for a good working dog to:
1. Avoid the show line dogs most have lost their working ability. While the titles might seem impressive it only proves that the dog can run in circles and be touched by a stranger (The Judge)

2. Research, research, research. A good place to start is working dog clubs, and competition. Here are a few places to check PSA, Schutzhund, and French Ring.

3. Visit the seller and take an experienced person with you. Anyone with a good dog will have no problem allowing you to test the dog. No excuse should be excepted.

Good luck hope you find what you are looking for.:)

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
In Texas, Great Danes are used to hunt hogs. Wolf Hounds have tons of health problems. Pitbulls and German Shepherds are the best all around farm/ranch dogs in my opinion. They "look" menacing, too.

·
1,920 Posts
ive had pure breed dogs, a rott, a lab, and a german sherpherd, but the best dogs ive had were mutts. i like lab pitt mixes that are mostly pitt, take your time picking em, they are cheap, loyal, smart and durable. mutts are survivors, pure breeds are touchy and expensive, and then having spent the money and gotten good blood lines, they often still have lots of problems.

as with any other system, you have to find what works for you, considering philosophy of use, size and weight constraints, and fire power vs mobility. if you want an alarm, small dogs (i like jack russels) are arguably best, if you want a guard at a fixed location go big and intemidating (think rotts, mastiffs), if you want mobility, medium sized might be best (rat terrier, australian shepherd). i still go for mutts for the broad range of working capabilities they can have.

ok, to quote forrest gump, thats all i got to say about that...

oops, one more thing, make sure to invest lots of reasearch, time, and care in training your new four legged buddy :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
In Texas, Great Danes are used to hunt hogs. Wolf Hounds have tons of health problems. Pitbulls and German Shepherds are the best all around farm/ranch dogs in my opinion. They "look" menacing, too.
Hog hunting is hard on a dog OP if your heart is set on Great Danes a good place to start is by getting information about these dogs. My male is from a line of hog hunters but his activities are limited to man work.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
What do y'all think about greyhounds? We had one show up at the house and I was thinking of keeping her if no one claims her. She is a big dog, but seems really friendly and good with the kids.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
I'm a German Shepherd fan. Large, smart aand intimidating. They can be versatie dogs too. Their downfall is hip displasia (sp?) ands a relatively short lifespan.

Our current dog is a mutt with some lab and border collie. She's about fifty pounds which is a good weight. Large enough to intimidate. Small enough to not eat you out of house and home. She's done sell for us alerting us to problem skunks and last night to a black bear that was munching on chicken feed. I only had the shotgun or I'd have filled my bear tag last night! (I expected another skunk when I investigated.) No one gets near the place without her knowing it and sounding the alarm.

I doubt if we'll ever own another "specialty" (pure bred) dog as over time the mutts seem to be the best all-round dogs we've owned. Just spend time with them and do some training.

JMO

Steve

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sight Hounds are good for running down small to medium game. Thats about all I know about them should play fetch all day too.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
I have 3 Rotties and could not be happier with them. They are a very dominant breed and required a lot of time and attention when they were young, but the payoff was well worth it. Of course I would not recommend a Rottweiler if you are not willing to put them through the training and I would never recommend a mixed breed Rottie. Mixed breeds are unpredictable. My dogs are loving and patient family dogs who will let the children poke them in the eye, ride them like ponies and grab their ears. My youngest kids can even take food out of their mouths while they are eating and snatch dog toys (tennis balls) right in the middle of play time. I am fairly sure the dogs consider my kids their kids too. In fact I often find them sleeping just inside of the kid's bedrooms at night, even though they have very nice memory foam beds. We have never had any issues with them chewing up shoes or the like and they are very command oriented and obedient. They walk the house on patrol off and on all day and all night and inspect every little sound. They never try to run off and don't seem to care what is happening outside of our property. When we go for walks they stay very tight to us and never get worked up when they see other dogs, cats, squirrels, etc. They know when to bark and when to remain quiet. Ring the doorbell and the sound is scary. Walk in the door unannounced and unfamiliar and you won't hear a sound until it is too late. I have only seen them get upset a couple times and rest assured it was heart stopping. The Directv guy decided to just walk in the back door after I specifically told him to come back around to the front. Fortunately the dogs were chained and he did not lose any body parts. Just the same he was so scared he left mid-installation and they had to send out another guy. We started with one and were so happy we added a second, then a third. When the oldest leaves us for the canine-beyond, we will replace her with another. And by the way these dogs are all imports from Germany, sort of. Their father was flown in from Germany and breed with a bitch from Atlanta, GA. They are all sisters but vary in age.

·
19 Posts
My next dog will be a GSD. In fact, we're waiting for one now.

My daughter has a black and tan coonhound. He is a great hunter, but despite his scary appearance, he is the sweetest, friendliest dog you ever met, and would be worthless for protection.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have 3 Rotties and could not be happier with them. They are a very dominant breed and required a lot of time and attention when they were young, but the payoff was well worth it. Of course I would not recommend a Rottweiler if you are not willing to put them through the training and I would never recommend a mixed breed Rottie. Mixed breeds are unpredictable. My dogs are loving and patient family dogs who will let the children poke them in the eye, ride them like ponies and grab their ears. My youngest kids can even take food out of their mouths while they are eating and snatch dog toys (tennis balls) right in the middle of play time. I am fairly sure the dogs consider my kids their kids too. In fact I often find them sleeping just inside of the kid's bedrooms at night, even though they have very nice memory foam beds. We have never had any issues with them chewing up shoes or the like and they are very command oriented and obedient. They walk the house on patrol off and on all day and all night and inspect every little sound. They never try to run off and don't seem to care what is happening outside of our property. When we go for walks they stay very tight to us and never get worked up when they see other dogs, cats, squirrels, etc. They know when to bark and when to remain quiet. Ring the doorbell and the sound is scary. Walk in the door unannounced and unfamiliar and you won't hear a sound until it is too late. I have only seen them get upset a couple times and rest assured it was heart stopping. The Directv guy decided to just walk in the back door after I specifically told him to come back around to the front. Fortunately the dogs were chained and he did not lose any body parts. Just the same he was so scared he left mid-installation and they had to send out another guy. We started with one and were so happy we added a second, then a third. When the oldest leaves us for the canine-beyond, we will replace her with another. And by the way these dogs are all imports from Germany, sort of. Their father was flown in from Germany and breed with a bitch from Atlanta, GA. They are all sisters but vary in age.
I knew there were German dogs behind your dogs! Even though my dogs are not Rotties I still had them put through Rottie BST very good way to tell what you have if you are dealing with mollessor type dogs.

221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the response. The reason I considered the wolf hound over the great dane was because the research I did said they have less health problems and longer lifespan than the dane. Sounds like I need to just visit different breeders to get an idea of pros and cons.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I lucked out and found a pure breed kangal pup.

I've raised boxers,pyrenees and been around most dogs,but these kangals are something else.

Many consider them the most dominant breed of guard dog on the planet.

I don't know if its true but i know for certain they are at least in the top 5.

·
Not so new
581 Posts
I had a "Rottie" once and she was the love of my life.I had a roomate and one day we were play/scuffling.Altho this guy lived with us she got between us and was NOT happy..He backed off very slowly as I talked to her.At the time I didn't have kids around and since she had never been around kids she wasn't real fond of them,but I understand if they are raised with kids they are great!She tried to sit in my lap like my doxie(her friend) :D but she was right at a 100 pounds.Because of grandkids I'm looking at a Lab.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts