Summer is in full-swing

Discussion in 'Website Comments and Suggestions' started by NaeKid, Jul 24, 2009.

1. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I have noticed that the new posts have died-off a fair bit (other than spammers) since summer has kicked in fully. How many of you are spending more time outdoors (camping, fishing, hiking, gardening) now? How many of you are in full-swing taking care of your prep's (indoors or outdoors)?

Myself, I am spending alot of time outdoors in the shade while the sun bakes my poor plants ..

Is there anything that I can do to make PS more interesting to the people visiting?

2. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

Me... I've been busy renovating the house we've just bought. And I don't tend to start threads, I mostly contribute to questions people have.

3. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I've been working. That's about all. Though it does look nice outside.

4. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I've been outside all I can, sucking the marrow out of summer. We have camped out on the sailboat several times and done some scheduled maintenance on it. I have also been looking at my stuff and am deciding what to get rid of. (a few Jeeps). I tried to start a garden this year, but the weather early on ruind it. I am looking after my apple trees, but picked most of the fruit off of them because they are still quite young. I did pick up a couple more pamphlets on growing apples and mixing them for cider.
    I am interested in taking part in the Appleseed Project and going to one of their shooting training sessions in Aug. Vacation wise there isn't any money for that this year, so we are just staying close to home.
    An old friend is a farmer and has been issued 10 neusience deer permits for one of his fields, I have been invited to hunt there in Aug. I am looking forward to getting my first deer and evenly more importantly learning how to gut and clean it. I don't enjoy blood and guts, but it is something I feel I should learn in order to become more survival savy. This will probably be my most rewarding experience this summer after enjoying time with our new grand daughter. Enough dribble for now, Sailaway:ignore:

5. Canadian

Good plans! I'm jealous.

6. LittleFire

LittleFire Well-Known Member

Well, though I have only been a member not long, lately sadly I have been working and taking care of my fiance who was in the hospital. Hopefully he will be released tomorrow. He had a heart attack and they put in 6 stents in. Released from the hospital and sadly went back in a few days later for another heart attack this time due to a blood clot. Doctor forgot to prescribe him some blood thinner medication. (The aspirin was not enough!)

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your fiance, I will keep him in my prayers. My uncle was in the hospital last week with heart failure, his lungs were filling up with fluid. Seems 8 doctors had prescribed him 16 different heart medications, and no one had bothered to see how they interacted together. He also has 2 stents. He's out now but almost died! The good ol AMA huh!:eek:

8. Canadian

I pray for your husband as well. God Bless.

9. LittleFire

LittleFire Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the prayers my dear friends. He is out of the hospital and feels so much better now. They have changed his pills which so far is going well. Time will tell. The good news about this is that he finally quit smoking! Woohoo. Today is day 18 of no smoking for him.

10. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

My summer has been extremely busy........one week of vacation @ the beach, work, prepping, fishing, teaching primitive survival skills to newbies, and exploring the wilderness areas of North Georgia and Eastern Tennessee.

My children start back to school next week....so winding down on the summer time activities!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  11. cattlefarmer

cattlefarmer Guest

We have been working hard…

This is the first year we have canned corn. We had done a few test batches last week and we canned 28 quarts yesterday and 28 quarts today. We are going to can 28 more quarts tomorrow morning and then were done with canning corn for the year. Saturday there is a family coming out to pick corn till there pickup is full or I run out.

This weekend we harvested sunflower seeds. Right now we have about 50 gallons of seeds on drying rack and will dry a batch about every 10 to 14 days depending on the ripeness on the flowers. I hope to shell, roast, and vacuum pack around 500 gallons this year with 10 or so flavors. We will only keep a few 5 gallon buckets for our self and sell of the rest.

We moved 30 of our girls (cows) in to the feed out pasture last week. We have them on a strict diet of fresh corn silage, fresh sunflower silage, cracked corn, sunflower hauls, and all the hay they will eat. I have buyers lined up to buy them on the hoof.

I will pray for your husband LittleFire.

12. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Since it's stopped raining, we've spent every night trying to keep the weeds from taking over the garden, with less than stellar results. Once it gets dark, we come in, eat, shower, and go to bed. Since it rained again tonight, I decided to see what I've been missing and it turns out everyone else is busy too.

13. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Think about it like this, NaeKid-how busy is this place gonna be once the summer chores and activities are over? :)