Suggested beginner transmitters?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ReconCraftTheta, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

I'm studying for my transmitting liscense, and I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea on a good transmitter to look at? I already have a SkyChampion reciever from Post WWII, which works nicely. My neighbor is an ex-ham, and has helped me set up an antenna, and has given me some advice on wiring both the trans. and the rec. to it. My god, going on a tangent. But anyway, any comments appreciated, cheers. (I'm 16, so, I'm on a tight budget)

2. frankd4

frankd4 AK4FU

Flex Radio

Look up Flex Radio it's only five watts but does full radio functiion via soft ware o your computer, so all you need is the box, computer, antena and mike look it up on the net it's a cool concept.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

beat me to it ;) ... I wonder how I missed this question the first time around :dunno:

4. ReconCraftTheta

Not a bad thing to get started with. It'll probably end up happening after this summer, so that gives me some time to start looking around and junk.

5. frankd4

frankd4 AK4FU

Ic 718

Also look at the Icom 718 great starting rig for about $700.00 it is full of good features at a good price I have been very happy with mine, the most important thing is your antenna with just a center fed dipole nothing more than a wire tuned right with low SWR makes the rig work at its best.

6. ReconCraftTheta

I've been looking at icoms! And yeah, I know a lot about antennas, haha, got myself a nice book.